Music + Commuting.

2»

Comments

• prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I have really good hearing. Really good hearing.

Me too which shocks me considering I spent much of my earlier years standing next to quite large speaker stacks.

I can hear my freeview box working if the missus leaves it on at night.

Can't hear a thing people say in clubs or bars though if there's background music. Maybe lost all my bass hearing and my high pitch hearing has compensated.

So now I can hear cat scarers and dog whistles. Nice.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Aguila wrote:
    There's no substitute for looking.

You mean there's no substitute for looking AND listening surely?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I just don't feel fully aware when listening to music. Good to here sirens too, and other riders. And horns.
  • You have got to be a candidate for the Darwin Awards if you have your head plugged in whilst cycling(for those who don`t know about the Darwin awards,it means you deserve to be removed from the gene-pool for stupidity)

What a bizarre rant.

I've been riding for, what, 45 years now. 100+ miles per week at very least. Touch wood, no accidents or falling off. At all.

And, yes, I do quite often like riding listening to an iPod.

You ride your ride, I'll ride mine, thank you very much.

The question was whether you listen to music while commuting, not whether you want to insult people.
  • supersonic
    You get the feeling he doesn't, eh?
  • I was coming round to that conclusion as well.
  • This is purely a personal position: I've found that eyes and ears work as a team. Very often ears are the early warning system that give a cue to look. I even find wearing a skull cap (I hate the cold) slightly disorientating because it changes my ear-eye balance. Ears give you a clue about what's happening around the bend in the road or the junction and it's then up to the eyes to be vigilant.

Also - a bit off topic perhaps - I also find that I'm permanently aware of birdsong when I'm on a bike - for me, it's one of the pleasures of riding. Sometimes the eyes sight a bird first but more usually it's the ears that alert the eyes to its presence. And from a bird's point of view, the bush/low tree birds, typically robins and wrens in my urban neck of the woods, don't hear you coming. I'm sure many cyclists have noticed these birds darting out into the open before they hear you, and then darting back when they see you. Why, because they were in bushes (with restricted visibility) and didn't hear you beforehand. This behaviour makes me think that birds also work by the same rule of ears and eyes as a team.

So, I've never listened to music or podcasts on a bike, be it for commuting or just for pleasure. However, there are many more competent cyclists than me who do listen so I don't have an agenda beyond my own personal choice. It won't help me if the driver of some 2 ton weapon runs me down from behind but it's still not for me.
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    edited February 2010
    Nicely put, Mr Marmoset.
    Many times I shout,ring my bell(yes I have one ,It makes pedestrians smile and even wave!)and the cyclist in front I want to pass cannot hear.Too right they can`t,they are plugged into music!-and how can you ride that slow without falling off?

Mr Jansman: A great mental image of you doing that. Are you sure the peds are smiling or laughing?

I just hope you don't suffer undue blood pressure on meeting a deaf cyclist. They must really, really make you mad. No headphones and still they won't get out of your bloody way.
  • I always listen to music while cycling and put the volume all the way up so I can't hear anything around me. Do this for long enough and you realize that your other senses are good enough to keep you aware.

I might try cycling blind folded to see if I can develop a 6th sixth. Will report back after experimenting.
  • supersonic
    Yep, you can smell those exhaust fumes better!