Are winter bikes a bloke thing?

2»

Comments

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    I actually think us burds are supposed to subscribe to the N+1 philosophy too*

I have a hybrid and want a road bike next. Can't justify a mtb as I live in London. Fixie = mid-life crisis/ too old? I'm thinking about it........

Joining BR might not have been one of my greatest endeavours but I'm enjoying bike-related stuff more than buying clothes/shoes/female stuff, to the bemusement of my friends :) :roll:

*Lark, you lissening to me? :lol:
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    lark wrote:
    As I can only afford one bike, would I be a cazy lady to buy something like a Bianchi Via Nirone Xenon ...

Buy it, buy it! I love mine!

You'll be able to pick up a winter hack by the time winter comes round again...!
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,375
    lark wrote:
    Ok, think I get teh hang of it:

Winter bikes are good because:

1 They get mesed up rather than your "proper" bike (though may cost as much.)

2 They provide an excuse to buy another bike.

As I can only afford one bike, would I be a cazy lady to buy something like a Bianchi Via Nirone Xenon ...

I promise* to regularly lube the chain, turtle wax the frame and not ride it in really grotty winter weather (only a handful of true "winter" days a year in London anyway)

*This translates as "I promise to get my husband to do this messy job....

Now you have the hang of it you should ask Greg 66 to explain Bike 1 and Bike 2 in his sig.

No, it not just you, everyone else thinks they're the same bike too
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • I too have 5 bikes.A single speed,mainly for Winter riding,a Revolution courier,a mountain bike ,full hard frame,with 2 " tyres for snow riding and for going fishing(main use)a brand new courier for Summer use(when the Winter courier dies this one will take it`s place and a new one will be purchased)and last but not least,my lovely Brompton.This is the bike I use to go to work on at the end of the week,and my Wife picks me up at knocking -off -time and we go up to our holiday home.Means I have a bike there too.Also great for saving on courtesy cars at servicing time.
    I do like the Edinburgh Bike Couriers though-you can bend `em and mend`em.In Winter ,Campag parts wear just as quick as Shimano.
  • lark
    lark Posts: 15
    Cafewanda wrote:

Don't worry, Cafewanda, I'm listenin'

You know - I really do get this N+1 thing - but just can't afford it (sob) so trying the impossible dream of hoping one bike will do for all purposes.

No more ladies' shoes comparisons, though. We could compare to the impossible search for a push-chair to suit all purposes?
  • lark
    lark Posts: 15
    lastant wrote:
    lark wrote:

Buy it, buy it! I love mine!

You'll be able to pick up a winter hack by the time winter comes round again...!

Hello lastant

How are the Sora gears? Some people on this forum talked about needing regular adjusting to keep the indexing good.

And -are you riding it in the winter?
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    lark wrote:
    How are the Sora gears? Some people on this forum talked about needing regular adjusting to keep the indexing good.

And -are you riding it in the winter?

Ah, mine's got the 105 groupset which I've had no problems with at all. I am riding it now, yes, although I've only had it two weeks - may get back on the old bike if they decide to grit the streets of London again but otherwise I'm going to stick with it.

The aim is to convert the old one into a singlespeed over the summer ready for the winter. It desperately needs some TLC - the brakes are close to useless and it's filthy!
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • lark wrote:

No more ladies' shoes comparisons, though.

+1

I mean, really, women aren't actually all about shoes. Y'all have been watching too much SATC.

Of course it's about wanting to own as many bikes as possible. Like, duh. The more cycling you do the more bikes you think you need.

Got a roadie? Nice one? Racer-type? Carbon? Blinding.

Want to do some touring? Ah well you need a pannier rack, and you can't put that on a carbon bike so you need a tourer with rack mounts and mudguards. That can also be a winter bike. Hurrah!

Oh and you want to do some off-roading? How much? Well, you can't do that on the racer or the tourer. You either need a mountain bike, or a cross bike. A cross bike can also be a winter bike! Yay!

A cross bike with guards and rack mounts would probably be the most versatile and useful bike to buy - you can tour on it, go off-road, and on-road. They should be relatively rugged, so survive winter.

Note, however, that you never need a hybrid. Ever.
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471

I mean, really, women aren't actually all about shoes.

Being married to one, Oh Yes They Are!

And excessive quantities of clothing too.

Says he who has considerably more cycle gear than he does everyday normal person wear.

'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    lark wrote:
    N+1. Bring it on. :D

That is the beginning of the end.
  • Cafewanda
    lark wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:

Don't worry, Cafewanda, I'm listenin'

You know - I really do get this N+1 thing - but just can't afford it (sob) so trying the impossible dream of hoping one bike will do for all purposes.

No more ladies' shoes comparisons, though. We could compare to the impossible search for a push-chair to suit all purposes?

My N+1 will be funded via my company's C2W scheme. It's the only way I can afford new bikes, till my money is my own in the not too distant(ish) future :(
  • Cafewanda
    lark wrote:

No more ladies' shoes comparisons, though.

+1

I mean, really, women aren't actually all about shoes. Y'all have been watching too much SATC.

Of course it's about wanting to own as many bikes as possible. Like, duh. The more cycling you do the more bikes you (think) you need.

Got a roadie? Nice one? Racer-type? Carbon? Blinding.

Want to do some touring? Ah well you need a pannier rack, and you can't put that on a carbon bike so you need a tourer with rack mounts and mudguards. That can also be a winter bike. Hurrah!

Oh and you want to do some off-roading? How much? Well, you can't do that on the racer or the tourer. You either need a mountain bike, or a cross bike. A cross bike can also be a winter bike! Yay!

A cross bike with guards and rack mounts would probably be the most versatile and useful bike to buy - you can tour on it, go off-road, and on-road. They should be relatively rugged, so survive winter.

Oy! I had to start somewhere !! :D

Ladies shoes are only topics of convo with my two girily girlfriends, about twice a year: their birthdays and mine(reluctantly) :)
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    chuckcork wrote:

Forgive me for being picky, but that strikes me as quite a small sample size...

If you want your study to be useful you may need to alter your sampling methodology.... :-)
    Cheers,
    W.
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    chuckcork wrote:

Forgive me for being picky, but that strikes me as quite a small sample size...

If you want your study to be useful you may need to alter your sampling methodology.... :-)
    Cheers,
    W.

Somehow I don't think my wife would accept "just doing a survey on womens shoe sizes" as a good reason for meeting lots of women....
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,375

A man would want one anyway.

Just to complete the set
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • I would never want a hybrid, ever.

I'm preferring something much more niche like a frankenbike.