Fork travel advice 100 or 130mm?

Bluemoon39
Bluemoon39 Posts: 168
edited February 2010 in MTB general
Got a new 318 Solo Air fork and before I fit it I was thinking about internally adjusting the travel from 100mm to 130mm.

I ride a HT which currently has a 100mm XCR fork.
My riding is mainly Peak district XC stuff, reasonably technical and I have often thought more travel would be nice, but that might have been just because it was a cheapo fork...

Do you think it would be a good idea to run at 130mm or should I stick to 100mm?

It's easier to change the travel before it's fitted which is why I would like advice before it goes on the bike.
Mongoose Tyax Super 2008 with just a few upgrades...

Comments

• firstly, is it actually going to be adjustable, or is it a oe fork which might not be.

Secondly what is the frame warrantied for, personally i think it'd upset the handling of the bike. 100mm is plenty of travel and the extra will just make climbing harder.
  • firstly, is it actually going to be adjustable, or is it a oe fork which might not be.

Secondly what is the frame warrantied for, personally i think it'd upset the handling of the bike. 100mm is plenty of travel and the extra will just make climbing harder.

It's deffo adjustable.
    Warranty doesn't mention it and is pretty useless tbh.
    If you think 100mm is enough and any more will make it harder uphill then thats enough for me to stick to 100mm 8)
    Mongoose Tyax Super 2008 with just a few upgrades...
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    if you ride in the peak district there's always occasions where the extra travel comes in handy and if you get a u-turn fork you have the best of both worlds. but not much use if the frame can't handle it. and not much use if you really don't need it.
  • scars
    scars Posts: 360
    Like everything theres pros in cons to everything.

Firstly it be worth dropping an email to your bike manufacturer to see if the frame will take the extra 30mm without any undue stress on the headtube.

Extra travels nice for comfort but more suspension can effect handling and efficiency pedaling uphill.

Only you know your riding style :wink:
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    If I were you I'd fit the fork and see what you think of it. I recently upgraded to a better quality RockShox fork and the change was amazing so you may find the fork as is will suffice. Anyway taking a fork out is easy peasy, even I managed it with 3 allen keys and a hammer (well you have to use a hammer for everything).