Boonen on Cav

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited February 2010 in Pro race
Quite a good article, inc a bit about Cavendish

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/02/ ... ide_103771

"He's just not my kind of person"

No jokes now kids.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• Peter van Petegam is probably more Tom's sort of person!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • iainf72 wrote:

cav doesnt need cocaine to be an arrogant mouthy cock....maybe...?
    ...the bicycle is the most efficient machine ever created: Converting calories into gas, a bicycle gets the equivalent of three thousand miles per gallon...
  • iainf72
    VinceEager wrote:

cav doesnt need cocaine to be an arrogant mouthy fool....maybe...?

No....

There's a very obvious one (which is ching related)
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    VinceEager wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

cav doesnt need cocaine to be an arrogant mouthy fool....maybe...?
    Actually,didn't Cav's brother get busted on a MAJOR drugs haul,recently?
    so many cols,so little time!
  • Actually,didn't Cav's brother get busted on a MAJOR drugs haul,recently?
    Apparently, this is his brother...

Trio in court over big drugs seizure
    Date Posted: 05/09/2009
    Posted By: Manx Radio

Three men charged with importing over £50,000 worth of drugs and possessing them with intent to supply have been remanded in custody.

Twenty-three-year-old Andrew James Cavendish, of Lhon Dhoo Close, Onchan, Matthew William Raymond Teare, 26, of Creggans Avenue in Peel and 25-year-old Christopher Ackers of Aintree in Liverpool all appeared before a magistrate at Douglas Courthouse this morning.

Their next appearance is before the High Bailiff on Tuesday.

The prosecution asked for them to be remanded, saying the drugs seized amounted to over £26,000 worth of cocaine and £28,000 worth of cannabis resin.

Reporting restrictions were not lifted.

http://www.isleofman.com/News/article.a ... 851&area=2
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Must be difficult being the younger sibling of such a success, especially on an island.

Wonder if that's why Cav was in London last night- he was en route to Manxland to give his mum (and dad) some support.
  • tom-and-eddy.jpg

elf?
  • iainf72
    Tusher wrote:

Wonder if that's why Cav was in London last night- he was en route to Manxland to give his mum (and dad) some support.

I thought he was trying to pull Wayne Bridge's ex-bird? :wink:
  • Tusher
    :D
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Poor little Cav. He's like Millwall - nobody likes him and he don't care!
    Very dipolmatically put by Tomke, but I think we all know what he really means.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    He said more or less the same post MSR last year.

From what I gather (being a fanboy and all that) is that Boonen felt Cav's post MSR comment ("winning MSR was 2nd best thing of today, the first was dropping Boonen on the Poggio") was a bit uncalled for. Before MSR Boonen had said that, given what he saw of Cav in the run up, and given his youth and lack of experience for races 250+km, that Cav wasn't a contender.

Wasn't like he was the only one saying that!
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    To be fair to Cav - his job is to win sprints and so long as his team-mates are prepared to put up with him, then all's well in the house of HTC. His popularity in the peleton is less of a concern, except where other teams refuse to ride/collaborate and/or work together to get the better of HTC. We saw evidence of both at various stages of the Tour last year.

Cav still (unwisely in my view) shot his mouth off, calling other teams amateurs (for not chasing breaks) and spiteful (for closing down George Hincapie's bid for the YJ) etc etc....
  • Dgh
    Dgh Posts: 180
    Cav's a great rider, but let's face it, he's not the most likeable of characters, is he?

I think Tom was quite generous about him really.
  • Tusher
    He's ADORABLE.

Sure, there are times when he opens his mouth whilst his brain is still snoozing, but he ALWAYS thanks his team-mates after a race, feels terrible guilt when he doesn't and is considered a gentleman by those who know him. And he's polite to fans.

He's just too sensitive- he takes things to heart, like not winning an Olympic medal. But he's got a backbone- otherwise he wouldn't be a winner.