Shimano XTR M910 Easton 70 Seatpost..Opinion

mikeyj28
mikeyj28 Posts: 754
edited February 2010 in MTB general
Hi

I'm sounding out some opinions as to whether the seatpost that i have which is a Shimano XTR M910 Easton 70 (27.2) is any good or not? I want to know as people keep banging on about Thomson seatposts.

I did think mine was half decent but it does seem to be a bit old.

Opinions are most welcome as to the quality and how it holds up against others (apart from being a few years old).

Thanks
Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.

Comments

• cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    are you feeling seatpost envy? :D

does it hold your seat at the right height? with the right sweep for you?

then its fine.

the real question is....do you want an easton seatpost? if so...then your xtr one is pants...get the easton one. you will be happier. until you realise it has made zero difference.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Still got an M910 from 1996. It's a gorgeous sp - they don't make 'em like that any more :(
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    c1cc_xtr_side_l.jpg

alloy head and steel tube.

Easton have made better but.......
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mikeyj28
    cee wrote:
    are you feeling seatpost envy? :D

the real question is....do you want an easton seatpost? if so...then your xtr one is pants...get the easton one. you will be happier. until you realise it has made zero difference.

Haha yes some serious seatpost envy going on.

I guess its the thing of always wanting something new and never being happy with what i have after a period of time.

It seems to do the job for me. How does it stack up against others weight wise?
    How is Easton so good??
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • mikeyj28
    nicklouse wrote:
    c1cc_xtr_side_l.jpg

alloy head and steel tube.

Easton have made better but.......

That is the one..except i don't have any black on mine-its all sliver coloured.

Nicklouise..opinionated rating out of 10 please?
  • mikeyj28 wrote:

Nicklouise..opinionated rating out of 10 please?

:roll:
  • mikeyj28 wrote:
    [
    I guess its the thing of always wanting something new and never being happy with what i have after a period of time.

It seems to do the job for me. How does it stack up against others weight wise?
    How is Easton so good??

Mike you need to do you own research.

Weigh the XTR and see, then campare that to ones you see on sites that are similar in length.

Perhaps there are better ways to lighten your bike than this. If something breaks, replace that first with something lighter. But as always the advice on here is to start with wheels + tyres and fork then work your way through after that.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The 27.2 seatpost in a 360mm length weighs 220g.

The Thomson Elite 27.2, in 330mm is 241g, and 410mm 289g.

So I wouldn't bother.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    As above - nothing to be gained. It may be different if you wanted a lay back.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • mikeyj28
    Thanks guys..looks like the seatpost is satying firmly on my bike.

Why change other than for the "bling" factor!!!

thanks everyone for opinions & Supersonic for weights etc.