Gaby Logan says cycling is easy

TimSE
TimSE Posts: 4
On Radio 5 today Gaby Logan reckoned that cycling 150 miles would be easy. I think this is our opportunity to invite her, via the logan@bbc.co.uk address, onto soemthing special! perhaps somebody from the Dragon Ride or Tour of the Peaks can find a place for her. I would make a donation to a charity of her choice if she completes the ride.

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Radio 5 'live'
    aural equivalent to the Daily Meail
    now stop it instantly and put on Traffic over on DAB.. and listen to the suckers stuck in traffic jams
  • So her opinions on cycling are about as valid and interesting as her football chat. Wonderful.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    GABY - MY fathers dinner lady was her Granny - LOGAN, isn't on our Planet.

Her Dad's Welsh, her husbands Scottish, she was born abroad...
    She's probably got a bad case of Celticitis, not fatal but very serious. My symptoms are bad!

No wonder she's confused, poor thing!
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    JGSI wrote:
    Radio 5 'live'
    aural equivalent to the Daily Meail
    now stop it instantly and put on Traffic over on DAB.. and listen to the suckers stuck in traffic jams

I only listen to Mark Kermode and Danny Baker on 5live - they've never struck me as particularly Daily Mail.
  • TimSE
    TimSE Posts: 4
    Seriously, she indicated she would take a challenge but it was difficult with her schedule. So, we give her plenty of opportunities to accept a challenge. I've givenher the opportunity to ride the Cornwall Tor in May. She may be busy so why don't you send a local one. Might get even more coverage for cycling.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Cycling 150 miles IS easy.

Unless you have to do them all in a row. 8)
  • Seanos
    Seanos Posts: 301
    markos1963 wrote:
    150 miles is easy she says. Mmmmmmnnn I wonder if she would say the same after this one then
    http://www.cyclosport.org/eventdetails. ... entid=2271
    This one's longer:
    http://www.srs-events.cc/event2/ride1.htm
    This is 160:
    http://www.vc-roubaix-cyclo.fr/site/ind ... 934526cf96
    After the first easy 150 miles the extra 10 shouldn't be too much of a problem
  • 150 miles IS easy :D
    where it gets hard is if you have to race or cover the distance in a fast time.
    150 miles in one day - no problem
    150 miles every day for 3 weeks - thats a challenge
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    It should be pointed out that she is a gymnast - if you've ever seen the training that gymnasts have to do from the age of about 5 up, you might think a lot of things were easy.
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    I just wanna see her in lycra !

She does trathlons apparently.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    She has got to be the most anodyne presenter! She seems to think she's humorous, as well :roll:
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    TimSE wrote:
    On Radio 5 today Gaby Logan reckoned that cycling 150 miles would be easy.
    To give it full context, she was referring to David Walliams latest Sport Relief challenge (ie cycling 150 miles with several other comedians and TV celebs) in comparison to his Channel swim.

Now, I admit I've never attempted to swim The Channel (in fact 5km is the furthest I've ever swum) but I sort of agree with her that a Channel swim is a bigger ask than riding 150 miles.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Now we have the context, I agree. So she was saying the cycling was easier not easy.

She's still boring.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Correction: Mr Walliams is riding Lands End - John O'Groats (1000 miles.......if you go the long way) as a 7-person relay with Fearne Cotton, Russell Howard, Patrick Kielty, Davina McCall, Miranda Hart and Jimmy Carr. (ie around 150 miles each..........although I'm guessing from the fuss Fearne Cotton was making about having to go out training on her bike this afternoon, she'd rather swim the Channel).

http://www.sportrelief.com/whats-on/cha ... t-the-team

All other comments about The Logan are spot on however. :wink:
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Plus - isn't that 150 miles over about 4 days!? Works out to about 35 miles a day.

If just 2 of them did it over a 4-day period, it would only work out to 125 miles per person, per day.

Splitting it between 7 of them is taking the mick.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I think there is some stat that more people have climbed Everest than have swum the channel. Swimming the channel is defo not easy - I think cycling 150 miles once is a lot easier - if you did it slowly over 15 hours, it would be like walking a marathon - long, but not hard.... Although I'm not sure whether dodging ferries and container ships is better or worse than dodging traffic!
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    I was really interested in Walliams swimming the channel. I took an interest in those football pundits riding their bikes from up north to BBC studios. But there's something about this challenge that puts me right off - I think it's Davina and Fearne Cotton.

Gabby giggling/sniggering on 5live - cringe and power off.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    popette wrote:
    I was really interested in Walliams swimming the channel. I took an interest in those football pundits riding their bikes from up north to BBC studios. But there's something about this challenge that puts me right off - I think it's Davina and Fearne Cotton.

+1
    I just can't stand either of them and I'm not sure why in Davinas case. Fearne is easy to dislike, she tries to be everybody's mate and bask in the talent thats around her even though she has none.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Bronzie wrote:
    TimSE wrote:
    On Radio 5 today Gaby Logan reckoned that cycling 150 miles would be easy.
    To give it full context, she was referring to David Walliams latest Sport Relief challenge (ie cycling 150 miles with several other comedians and TV celebs) [/b]in comparison to his Channel swim.

Now, I admit I've never attempted to swim The Channel (in fact 5km is the furthest I've ever swum) but I sort of agree with her that a Channel swim is a bigger ask than riding 150 miles.
    Bronzie Posted: Fri Feb 5, 2010 3:24 pm

Correction: Mr Walliams is riding Lands End - John O'Groats (1000 miles.......if you go the long way) as a 7-person relay with Fearne Cotton, Russell Howard, Patrick Kielty,[/b] Davina McCall, Miranda Hart and Jimmy Carr. (ie around 150 miles each..........although I'm guessing from the fuss Fearne Cotton was making about having to go out training on her bike this afternoon, she'd rather swim the Channel

Which one of those statements is a misprint? One of them sure as hell must be!
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • G-Wiz
    G-Wiz Posts: 261
    Galatzo wrote:

Best I could do

gabbyloganpics-004.jpg
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    if i was doing lajog with that lot, think i would complete it in the day, can't imagine anything worse than being in the company of such a 'self opinionated.aloof' bunch.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    markos1963 wrote:
    popette wrote:

+1
    I just can't stand either of them and I'm not sure why in Davinas case. Fearne is easy to dislike, she tries to be everybody's mate and bask in the talent thats around her even though she has none.

I think in Davina's case it's just about over-exposure. She's bloody everywhere these days. I quite liked her natural approach when she first appeared but now she's just irritating.
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Couldn't agree more sampras!
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    tri-sexual wrote:
    150 miles IS easy :D
    where it gets hard is if you have to race or cover the distance in a fast time.

Agreed - at a complete guess, I reckon Logan would do an 8 - 11 mph average over 150 miles - that's with a modest 8000-10,000 ft of climbing - might aswell just walk it (joking). Be interesting to see her figures after her first "easy" 150. The neck (amongst other things) becomes a funny thing at that distance. :oops:

Good luck to her though.

Did Wallaims swim the Channel without any breaks ? - or did he do 30 min stints etc ? (and then have a brief break) (not read up on it).
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Did Wallaims swim the Channel without any breaks ? - or did he do 30 min stints etc ? (and then have a brief break) (not read up on it).
    He did it properly, in one go. He is certainly tougher than he makes out.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Doing a quick search throws up this page

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 682756.ece

A fast time although conditions were favourable apparently. He did 'stop' to take on food but only in terms of treading water while food was passed to him.
  • Dazza2280
    Dazza2280 Posts: 156
    wasn't his time in the top 50 fastest ever? I think he could have done the end to end thing himself no problem, although it wouldn't have been non stop obviously :shock:
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Galatzo wrote:

She does trathlons apparently.

She doesn't really do anything for me tbh. Reminds me of Jim Rosenthal.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    markos1963 wrote:
    150 miles is easy she says. Mmmmmmnnn I wonder if she would say the same after this one then
    http://www.cyclosport.org/eventdetails. ... entid=2271

She probably would. It does sound really quite easy. If I were a novice looking for a 100 miler to ride I'd choose that one.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French