Labour charge for warranty replacement!

2»

Comments

• Customer service? its a shame this has happened. In the cases that i have seen I am not aware of customers being charged labour in the end at least not from IBD's, the store may well say that, due to proceedure but will normally knock it off in the end - no one wants bad publicity. As for going down the Legal route you have to give the place of purchase adaquate time to sort the problem - retailers too have rights - In the small claims court you would have to prove the part is faulty and I am sure both Evans and Scott could get some Bad ass lawyers to say how many units they sell thus the cycle is fit for purpose etc. I have several Scott's and have always found them helpful - although I have never needed warranty. They so far have not done anything deemed wrong as they are sorting the problem - as last said repair or replace - in this case repair, Let the store solve the problem then discus it rationally with the store manager, people like being treated like people.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    In the small claims court (you actually do it all online and don't necessarily attend) you do not have to prove the item is faulty as the onus is on the seller to prove it wasn't, within 6 months of purchase. They are not going to spend the £100's necessary (if not £1000's) to get a lawyer to attend the small claims court, indeed the process is designed to prevent the use of expensive lawyers. They most likely would offer no defence.
  • Customer service? its a shame this has happened. In the cases that i have seen I am not aware of customers being charged labour in the end at least not from IBD's, the store may well say that, due to proceedure but will normally knock it off in the end - no one wants bad publicity. As for going down the Legal route you have to give the place of purchase adaquate time to sort the problem - retailers too have rights - In the small claims court you would have to prove the part is faulty and I am sure both Evans and Scott could get some Bad ass lawyers to say how many units they sell thus the cycle is fit for purpose etc. I have several Scott's and have always found them helpful - although I have never needed warranty. They so far have not done anything deemed wrong as they are sorting the problem - as last said repair or replace - in this case repair, Let the store solve the problem then discus it rationally with the store manager, people like being treated like people.

This is where is all gets a bit ambiguous though, what is an adequate or reasonable time frame to have such an issue resolved? As I've said I'm happy to give them 2 weeks to sort it out but any longer than that and I might start to get a little annoyed.

Obviously I'll be looking to discuss it all in a reasonable manner with the manager but it's nice to know where you stand should they refuse to meet your demands.
  • alfablue
    I think you need to agree a loan bike upfront, as it will be harder to get one from them once the process is underway. I don't think it is reasonable to wait any more than 2 weeks without the bike without some compensation. They (the seller) will have had sufficient time to make their inspection, the fact that they are choosing to send it to Scott is irrelevant to you, it is Evans with whom you have a contract. I am not suggesting going in heavy handed, but if they are not going to agree to your reasonable expectations you will then need to go up the gears.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Either way faulty or not, there is still the case of 'fit for purpose' and I am sure that the overall condition of the bike would show a lack of abuse or huge drops. \chances are it was a bad weld that created a weak point. Evans should have just sorted it they are big enough to take the workshop time.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • alfablue wrote:
    I think you need to agree a loan bike upfront, as it will be harder to get one from them once the process is underway. I don't think it is reasonable to wait any more than 2 weeks without the bike without some compensation. They (the seller) will have had sufficient time to make their inspection, the fact that they are choosing to send it to Scott is irrelevant to you, it is Evans with whom you have a contract. I am not suggesting going in heavy handed, but if they are not going to agree to your reasonable expectations you will then need to go up the gears.

Well I'm going to mention the loan bike when they contact me on Monday after assessing the damage. Would that still be considered 'upfront'? Planning to say that if they can't guarantee that I'll have it back within 2 weeks then I'll require a loan bike. Hopefully they will agree that this is reasonable otherwise I'll unleash the big guns!
  • alfablue
    I think that's a fair approach. I would say that if they refuse a loan bike and / or compensation, and cannot guarantee a reasonable date to resolve it, then you have done your bit to play fair, I would tell them I would be taking the bike away and starting proceedings. If possible, take a witness who can vouch for their intransigence (should it happen).

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/after_ ... ourrights/

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp
  • alfablue wrote:
    I think that's a fair approach. I would say that if they refuse a loan bike and / or compensation, and cannot guarantee a reasonable date to resolve it, then you have done your bit to play fair, I would tell them I would be taking the bike away and starting proceedings. If possible, take a witness who can vouch for their intransigence (should it happen).

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/after_ ... ourrights/

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp

Cheers Alfa, hopefully it won't come to that
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    Hiya

Generally warranties are parts only.

This is normal. Depending on your relationship with the shop there may or may not be a charge.

The shop will not be paid by the manufacturer for the 'lost' workshop time.

Sorry - this doesn't help you much.

Mark

So your admitting ,, If your a regular buyer from your shop then you get perferential treatment and if your unknown you get fucked

Every Customer that walks through your door is a VIP ..and shoulkd be treated as such because what they spend pays your wages ...and your bills
  • Sorry Colintrav i didn't make that clear.

What i mean is if the bike had been bought from us then we would take the hit.

If it was a brand we sold but the bike was not from us then we would not take the hit.

If it was an ebay/private purchase (i.e. a Marin with lifetime warranty on the bearing) and covered by warranty then labout would be charged.

I hope that clears the confusion.
    So your admitting ,, If your a regular buyer from your shop then you get perferential treatment and if your unknown you get farked

Every Customer that walks through your door is a VIP ..and shoulkd be treated as such because what they spend pays your wages ...and your bills

Have you been to visit us?... you probably haven't as you would not hold this view. You do not need to illustrate to me the importance of my customers. It's basic retail.

Come by sometime. Say hi.
  • chick0
    chick0 Posts: 338
    Evan's in Glasgow also wanted to charge me for some warranty work a few weeks ago.

One of my juicy 7's levers went "floppy" and would not spring back to its correct position, so i booked it in with Evans to have it evaluated. They asked for the whole bike to be brought in, so they could set up the brake correctly on the bike. The problem was deemed to be due to faulty parts, so was covered under warranty, and a new lever kit was ordered and fitted.
    When i went to pick the bike up, they said that there was a charge of £15 for bleeding the brake.
    I politely asked why this was, as the work was agreed to be under warranty by Avid. The guy at the counter said "the bleeding of the brake was not apart of this warranty claim". So again politely, i asked to see the manager, and after a short discussion, in which i pointed out that you could not fit a new lever kit with out taking the fluid out of the system, so surely replacing the fluid after was apart of the "this warranty claim", they then agreed for there not to be a charge.

I was left with the impression that they were just trying there luck, as they had no real argument to make, once i stated me point and stood my ground. I have had a few bits and bobs done by them under warranty in the past, but this is the only time they have tried to charge me, maybe its a new policy they are trying or something..
  • Well Scott have replaced the swing arm under warranty :D

Evans wanted to charge me £10 for the labour but when I queried this they agreed to waive the charge.

All done in just over 2 weeks, well done Scott and Evans 8)
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    colintrav wrote:
    So your admitting ,, If your a regular buyer from your shop then you get perferential treatment and if your unknown you get farked

The Bikechain don't know me from adam but every time I've walked through their doors they've been absolutely first class. A great shop. Take your internet wrath elsewhere, instead of passing judgement on people you've never met and a shop you'll never visit.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • rrsodl
    rrsodl Posts: 486
    chick0 wrote:
    Evan's in Glasgow also wanted to charge me for some warranty work a few weeks ago.

One of my juicy 7's levers went "floppy" and would not spring back to its correct position, so i booked it in with Evans to have it evaluated. They asked for the whole bike to be brought in, so they could set up the brake correctly on the bike. The problem was deemed to be due to faulty parts, so was covered under warranty, and a new lever kit was ordered and fitted.
    When i went to pick the bike up, they said that there was a charge of £15 for bleeding the brake.
    I politely asked why this was, as the work was agreed to be under warranty by Avid. The guy at the counter said "the bleeding of the brake was not apart of this warranty claim". So again politely, i asked to see the manager, and after a short discussion, in which i pointed out that you could not fit a new lever kit with out taking the fluid out of the system, so surely replacing the fluid after was apart of the "this warranty claim", they then agreed for there not to be a charge.

I was left with the impression that they were just trying there luck, as they had no real argument to make, once i stated me point and stood my ground. I have had a few bits and bobs done by them under warranty in the past, but this is the only time they have tried to charge me, maybe its a new policy they are trying or something..

As a rule I never buy from any place that doesn't offer top customer service. which in my experience has been a good policy to keep. On the other hand I go out of my way to give business to companies that treat their customer with respect and value their business.

A friend of mine bought a TV from Comet and the tv set failed about two years later, out of warranty. Comet refused to help so my mate got it fixed and then took Comet to the small claims court. Comet was represented by a solicitor and my friend represented himself. The judge ruled Comet had to meet the cost of repair, court costs and a day's work for my mate. Your consumer rights are there to protect you!!!
  • chick0
    chick0 Posts: 338
    RRSODL wrote:
    chick0 wrote:

As a rule I never buy from any place that doesn't offer top customer service. which in my experience has been a good policy to keep. On the other hand I go out of my way to give business to companies that treat their customer with respect and value their business.

A friend of mine bought a TV from Comet and the tv set failed about two years later, out of warranty. Comet refused to help so my mate got it fixed and then took Comet to the small claims court. Comet was represented by a solicitor and my friend represented himself. The judge ruled Comet had to meet the cost of repair, court costs and a day's work for my mate. Your consumer rights are there to protect you!!!

I also prefer to give my business if possible to establishments with good customer care. But in the case of buying my last bike at Evans, this was not something that i took into consideration, as they were offering a massive discount on the bike i was looking for. Getting more then £1000 of the retail price was far more valuable to me then paying full price at a "good" local bike shop. It also helps that my bike maker has a life time warranty policy on the frame.
    And in fairness, Evans have sorted out a good few things with no questions asked, so i would have no real problem with purchasing from them again, if the price was right!