Albert Bridge

greg66_tri_v2.0
greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
Signs up today. As of the beginning of March, it will be closed.

For 18 months.

Apparently it will open at (precisely) 18.00 on some specified Sunday in 2011. My @rse it will.

FFS.

Battersea is always chokka, Chelsea is busy as hell. Vauxhall requires a ride along the worst of the south side of the river.

18 months? You could build a new, replica in less time than that.

My ride in has just become a bit sh!t.
Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
Bike 2-A

Comments

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    And to think I complain about the E&C and Kennington sections of my journey :shock:

You have my sympathies sir.
  • flamite
    flamite Posts: 269
    i did chuckle at the 18:00 hours opening time too
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,206
    Seems to be some concerted effort to mess up journeys over the river - they've dug up Waterloo Bridge as well and turned that into a 'slow-go' :evil:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Hmm. Didn't spot that. Wonder if it'll be rammed beyond Battersea Bridge, too. The NKR has got roadworks on it already.

You gonna ride to Wandsworth Bridge?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • it is all of a 1/4 mile from Chelsea bridge - so what is the issue? Chelsea bridge even has one of those pavement cycle paths if you want to avoid the traffic for peds instead. There is a smal bt of road works on Albert Bridge road at teh entrance to the Park though.

But I agee about the amount of works right now- New Kings Road is a 'mare with the trafic lights casuing a tail back to Parson's Green this morning. Putney south circular is being re-laid and then the next bit along towards sheen will be dug up to lay some gas pipes. The bit I use next to Victoria Coach station is dug up too
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    Chelsea bridge even has one of those pavement cycle paths if you want to avoid the traffic for peds instead.

1. I don't cycle on pavements.
    2. Even if I did, the presence of jaywalking pedestrians on the cycle lane (not to mention road signs and bus stops) would make progress too slow.
    3. There's a perfectly good road on Chelsea Bridge, with bus lanes in one direction, cycle lanes in the other and slow enough traffic to overtake on the outside in the rush hour.

The answer, of course, is to keep Albert Bridge open for pedestrians and cyclists only.
  • it is all of a 1/4 mile from Chelsea bridge - so what is the issue? Chelsea bridge even has one of those pavement cycle paths if you want to avoid the traffic for peds instead. There is a smal bt of road works on Albert Bridge road at teh entrance to the Park though.

That's where I turn left to go onto Albert Bridge. I had thought about switching to go through Battersea Park and aiming for CB, but I've never been sure whether bikes are allowed in Battersea Park.

Going round Battersea Park would be a gigantic PITA.

Wandsworth Bridge would be OK. WB roundabout is something even I baulk at. If you get the lights and can carry speed onto it, fine, but if you get a red and have to pull away onto it, not so fine.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Newbie, yeah for me!

Albert Bridge will remain open to pedestrians and dismounted cyclists. Expect they will be quite strict about dismounted cyclists.

My work route takes me through Battersea Park, north over Chelsea Bridge and straight down CB Road. Works well for me - safe and quick.

Cycling in Battersea Park is allowed but make sure you stick to vehicle entrances and roads (including roads with barriers). Footpaths and pedestrian gates are off liimits. The police regularly fine cyclists on path by river and people using paths as short cuts.

My home route takes me south over Albert Bridge. May have to move over to Battersea Bridge but anticipate it will be relatively slow and dangerous. D-locks at the ready.

18 months does seem a very.... very........very long time.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Greg66 wrote:
    Wandsworth Bridge would be OK. WB roundabout is something even I baulk at. If you get the lights and can carry speed onto it, fine, but if you get a red and have to pull away onto it, not so fine.

Yeah, damn right. I'm not overly fussed on Armoury Way, either, or the Hanger Straight-style stretch to the lights just after it.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • An off-road route to avoid the hell of Wandsworth one way system. Yes there are shared usage paths so you have to give way to peds, but it is a nice alternative. Works in both directions.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en& ... 02bdd191e2
  • @ Greg - you can legally cycle through Battersea Park if you stick to Carriage Drive North. It is the best part of my commute when I stay south of the river!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en& ... 02bdd191e2
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    Dudu wrote:
    [jaywalking pedestrians .

This is impossible in London, as there is no such offence.

Pedestrians can walk where they like.

Deal with it!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Aren't you banned from all public parks after that "incident"....
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:
    Aren't you banned from all public parks after that "incident"....

Nah. Only bushes in public parks. I checked.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Greg66 wrote:
    it is all of a 1/4 mile from Chelsea bridge - so what is the issue? Chelsea bridge even has one of those pavement cycle paths if you want to avoid the traffic for peds instead. There is a smal bt of road works on Albert Bridge road at teh entrance to the Park though.

That's where I turn left to go onto Albert Bridge. I had thought about switching to go through Battersea Park and aiming for CB, but I've never been sure whether bikes are allowed in Battersea Park.

Going round Battersea Park would be a gigantic PITA.

I do Wandsworth Bridge and the roundabout every day, don't find it's that bad really. Give it a try!