schwalbe black shark tyres splitting?!!

scottgeniusltd2005
scottgeniusltd2005 Posts: 575
edited February 2010 in MTB general
i have had some scwalbe black shark mud 26" light edition tyres on for about 3 years now. got them from the local lbs to help tackle the state of the local mud baths. they've split on the carcass, like an old neglected flat car tyre. i can see the woven bits thru the cracks in the rubber. i am really surprised by this. there is still loads of tread on the tyre and i thought i would have years more out of them. is it because they are a competition tyre? is is normal for the tyre to crack like this before the tread wears out? there are more cracks on the sidewalls than in between the treads. both tyres are the same and i only noticed it today, i don't think they have been that way for long as i have just replaced a tube.
Cotic Soul rider.

Comments

• owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    The rubber has perished, sunlight does that to tyres and after three years I'm not that surprised.
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    I'd be pleased if I got 3 years out of a tyre.

Rubber degrades over time & too be honest it sounds like you haven't done many miles on them.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • haven't done many miles? are you kidding? i'm out nearly everyday! cheeky bugger :D:D
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    haven't done many miles? are you kidding? i'm out nearly everyday! cheeky bugger :D:D

then it's amazing that they're not bald as a coot after 3 years

got any pics?
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • bold as a coot? have you seen the size of the knobbles on these? the middle has worn down but only about half way. sounds like i am expecting too much from them. i normally run a tyre down nearly to the carcass, i like to get my monies worth. never had a carcass split before tho. according to lbs it does happen quite often.
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • going to go for some panaracer fireroad pro's. any negatives about them?
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • Couldn't find any reference to the "Fireroad Pro" tyres on Panaracer's official site but from experience with other Panaracer products I have used (FireXC Pro and Rampage) all I can say that I have been impressed with them
  • sorry i meant fire xc pro... :oops:
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • The XC Pro's are great. I used them on my HT with great results.
    The all round performance on cornering, climbing and climbing is good. Also they don't require steroid induced strength to get on and off rims, just a little soapy water and decent tyre levers.
    Also, they are directional, so be aware of that when fitting them.
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    theres a limited " shelf-life" for any tyre , regardless of how much tread is remaining.
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    The XC Pro's are great. I used them on my HT with great results.
    The all round performance on cornering, climbing and climbing is good. Also they don't require steroid induced strength to get on and off rims, just a little soapy water and decent tyre levers.
    Also, they are directional, so be aware of that when fitting them.

yes they are very good , i have the blue walled ones :D
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    Have you considered specialzed tyres? quite cheap-most around £20. i have the captain tyre, good for all year round xc, comes in 2.0 and 2.2.
  • i got a panaracer 2.1 xc pro today. tried it on the road outside my house which was a bit damp and it slid out when i banked it over. may have been the releasing agent as it didn't do it the second or third time. will be on trails tomorrow.
    Cotic Soul rider.