F*cking E*ans Cycles

il_principe
il_principe Posts: 9,155
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
Went in my local E*ans today because I have to have the Decade 'Crash Inspected' for insurance purposes. Given that this would involve their mechanics not actually working on the bike I figured I'd take the risk with E*ans as they are literally outside my front door. God but they are useless and fcking rude as well. The bloke tried to tell me that they would not remove the tape to inspect for damage to the bars because 'Alu doesn't really break,' this despite the face that the hoods are clearly out of position and need inspecting anyway. He then tried to say that the hoods might be loose because they weren't put on tightly in the first place - I pointed out that this was complete bollocks as they'd been fine in the months leading up to the crash and were f*cked afterwards. I then got a sermon about his 6 years of experience in the cycle trade - 6 years in which it seems he has learnt f*ck all about bikes or customer service.

Anyway, £35 to have then pretend to look at it and list the visible damage. Total waste of money but I have to do it.

What really grates is that I'm a new customer and I will never use that store again now; the bloke that served me was rude from the get go.

Anway, just need to vent, but E*ans Wandsworth = To$$ers.

Comments

• W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Went in my local E*ans today because I have to have the Decade 'Crash Inspected' for insurance purposes. Given that this would involve their mechanics not actually working on the bike I figured I'd take the risk with E*ans as they are literally outside my front door. God but they are useless and fcking rude as well. The bloke tried to tell me that they would not remove the tape to inspect for damage to the bars because 'Alu doesn't really break,' this despite the face that the hoods are clearly out of position and need inspecting anyway. He then tried to say that the hoods might be loose because they weren't put on tightly in the first place - I pointed out that this was complete bollocks as they'd been fine in the months leading up to the crash and were f*cked afterwards. I then got a sermon about his 6 years of experience in the cycle trade - 6 years in which it seems he has learnt f*ck all about bikes or customer service.

Anyway, £35 to have then pretend to look at it and list the visible damage. Total waste of money but I have to do it.

What really grates is that I'm a new customer and I will never use that store again now; the bloke that served me was rude from the get go.

Anway, just need to vent, but E*ans Wandsworth = To$$ers.

I've used that store a couple of times and they've been OK at best. I tried to negotiate a discount on SPDs and shoes, the chap said there was a discount on-line if I printed the voucher and brought it in - but wouldn't actually do me a favour and just give me the discount!

Funnily enough the store in Spittalfields have always been excellent.
  • flamite
    flamite Posts: 269
    i also had an accident recently and had to get bike assessed, went to cyclopedia on fulham road, just opposite ches and west hospital... smaller shop with 3 guys in there, they are great, and very understanding...

ended up writing out a note for free saying bike was a complete write off...
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    I've always found the staff in Evans Canary Wharf to be very good. Maybe other shops are different.

There was also the guy in the Clapham branch who knocked 10% off my Gore soft shell when I pointed out there was some grime on it. It washed out but a couple of months later guess what? I got it covered in grime :lol:
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Is Evans a franchise? Would that account for what seems to be huge difference in service levels between stores?
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Coriander wrote:
    Is Evans a franchise? Would that account for what seems to be huge difference in service levels between stores?

Dunno. I get the impression the staff work on commission. I'm sure selling carbon roadies to rich bankers would make me quite motivated :wink:
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Not sure if Evans is a chain or franchise. Think its a chain.

James, sorry about your woes. The guy sounds like a prat to be honest, six years of experience is nothing compared to some of the experience that runs in local bike shops and puts his incompetence and arrogance into perspective really.

Pricks, suffer the blow and take it somewhere else for a second opinion.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Presumably you can claim the £35 from your insurers? So at least it hasn't cost you anything really...
  • 6 years, i mean wtf! I know saturday lads who've been working that long.

LBS FTW
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I had my bike inspected after my crash in Nov. I went into On Yer Bike, London Bridge as I haven't got a car so On Yer Bike involved the least possible walking distance with the destroyed bike hoisted on my shoulder. They were really good. The guy took one look and said yeah that's a write off and wrote me an insurance statement thing to say that it woudl cost £550 to replace with a similar standard Trek. It was only an Apollo, although the wheels were upgraded.... No muss no fuss. It only cost £15 as well....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Headhunter,

Are you sure you didn't put £15 on the table and slip £20 underneath?

"Yeah this Apollo, complete write off gonna have to get it replaced with the equivilent Wilier Cento... Just make sure you come back here when you replace it...."
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Headhuunter
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Headhunter,

"Yeah this Apollo, complete write off gonna have to get it replaced with the equivilent Wilier Cento... Just make sure you come back here when you replace it...."

Nah, no funny business. They were really good. When I say the guy took 1 look, he actually took it in for some tests and I picked it up later. They were very helpful. I actually cycled to On Yer Bike to collect it later and then took both bikes back on the train and they were quite concerned that I didn't have someone to help me. I was still limping a bit at that time as the crash injuries were still causing pain...
  • Headhuunter
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Headhunter,

He also wrote the cost of the check up (£15) onto the insurance statement so that I could claim that back as well...
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    Evans Nottingham also have abysmal service and workmanship. Had a full service there once when i knew no better. Unbeleivably expensive and the standard of work was incredibly poor. That was the day that motivated me to buy a tool set/workstand/maintainance book. It's suprising how straightforward most of it is. I recommend to all!
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    its a chain. Canary Wharf one is okay for me too.
    FCN = 4
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    Evans West Croydon has been good for me. When i did my insurance claim they where helpful and i claimed the money back from the insurance.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Aguila wrote:
    Evans Nottingham also have abysmal service and workmanship. Had a full service there once when i knew no better. Unbeleivably expensive and the standard of work was incredibly poor. That was the day that motivated me to buy a tool set/workstand/maintainance book. It's suprising how straightforward most of it is. I recommend to all!

I was in the Nottingham one when I was looking for a road bike, and nobody in there really seemed to know anything about the ones they had in stock. When sizing came up it was pretty much a vague gesture at the nearest one and "that one would probably be about right".

The one in Birmingham seems to be OK, the service is good but I've mainly known exactly what I want so they've not really been tested I suppose.
  • boneyjoe
    boneyjoe Posts: 369
    Haven't been in there for a while (Evans St Pauls), but was a bit miffed when they replaced the chain on my carbon HT with a cheaper version, and then charged me double the price other stores are charging for the same chain.

Guys are friendly enough, but usually not very familiar with the technical intricacies. Will still use them (as very convenient) but be sure to be clear about parts etc, and also research competitor prices beforehand. They'll match them if you take a print out from the competitor's website, but only when you pay and not afterwards.
    Scott Scale 20 (for xc racing)
    Gary Fisher HKEK (for commuting)
  • Their website is crap too.IMO difficult to navigate.I have to agree with Aguila the best thing is to learn to DIY.I did and and never looked back.Mending bikes is,frankly,EASY.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Evans seem to employ the people that Halfords reject.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Get ye off to a proper LBS...didn't realise it was your new bike that god banged up...bugger.

I went to my local LBS (know the owner) with a list of damaged parts - he just quoted for the replacements (Had pics for the insurers anyway - scuffs mainly). Helped that I was buying a bike from him....
  • cheehee
    cheehee Posts: 427
    Aguila wrote:

Your being too kind with abysmal.........

I used them when I got my old bike on R2W, christ they were shite!!

In fact they took being shite to new levels of shiteness

:wink:

Cheehee