How flat is an average 10M TT course?

ravey1981
ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
edited February 2010 in Amateur race
This may sound like a daft question but how flat (or hilly) is the average 10M TT course? I have a loop which i use for quick blasts of about 10m. Ususally takes me about 28mins but my thinking is that it is hillier than an "average" TT course. I'm new to this and just looking to make some (very vague) comparisons of how i stand pace wise at the moment....

Comments

• SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    It depends, I don't think many are pan flat, and the ones in Kent are rolling to say the least. Even the fast dual carriageway courses are rolling.

Best way to see is enter an event, you will be quicker in a race, then you could go in training, pinning a number on always seems to get more out of you. 28 mins is not too shabby if you have never done one before, especially if you are on a normal road bike.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    but if there's more ups then there's more downs :wink:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • ravey1981
    True :lol:...but I'm pretty sure the uphill bits cost me more time than the downhill bits save me...if that makes sense...
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    I've wondered the same thing before. What is a 'typical' 10m TT height gain - 200, 300, 400 ft? (etc)
  • If its not bad form to link to another forum:

http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/ind ... opic=18586

Matt
  • a_n_t
    http://ridewithgps.com/trips/11047

Our club 10 course, 182 ft of climbing so naff all really.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    a_n_t wrote:

What about other hazards though?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • ravey1981
    Just used the same web plotter to do the course I use for "training"

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/30464

So would you say that my route is relatively hilly for a tt course?
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    A couple of the quickest 10 courses in the UK

L1015 Levens, Total Climb 231ft

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/L1 ... rse-Levens

V718 Hull, Total climb: 193ft

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/V718-10-Mile-TT
  • Why not ride it in reverse and see what time you get then and average the two. It might even things out a bit more.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t wrote:

What about other hazards though?

Well apart from the shockingly bad road surface on 3/4 of it its ok!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,582
    Just chucked the course my club use for their 10's (R10/17) into Bike Hike and it shows a total ascent of 191 feet and descent of 197 feet. It's probably the flatest 10 course I've ridden. If it translated into a straightforward 5 miles of climbing and 5 miles of descending the average gradient would be about 0.8% / 1:125.
  • that levens course is cheating, surely?
  • that levens course is cheating, surely?

Sigh..... How? It is a measured course over 10 miles, the 'gift' at the start is not as steep as the bikely profile makes it look. Is something like the Teeside Mountain Time Trial that has a 50mph descent in it cheating?

Same course for everyone who races over it.
  • celbianchi wrote:
    that levens course is cheating, surely?

Sigh..... How? It is a measured course over 10 miles, the 'gift' at the start is not as steep as the bikely profile makes it look. Is something like the Teeside Mountain Time Trial that has a 50mph descent in it cheating?

Sure it's the same course for everyone who races it.
    But do you really think that everyone on the start line at all the midweek TT's in the North West knows the location of Levens, a random village in the back of beyond, because they want to compare their times with other people on that course?
    It is a measured course over 10 miles, net downhill
    I don't know anything about the Teeside thing, but having a descent is not the same as having a descent and then staying down there.

Especially as the OP asked how flat normal TT's are, and one of the two concrete examples he got was Levens!
  • celbianchi wrote:

Sure it's the same course for everyone who races it.
    But do you really think that everyone on the start line at all the midweek TT's in the North West knows the location of Levens, a random village in the back of beyond, because they want to compare their times with other people on that course?
    It is a measured course over 10 miles, net downhill
    I don't know anything about the Teeside thing, but having a descent is not the same as having a descent and then staying down there.

Especially as the OP asked how flat normal TT's are, and one of the two concrete examples he got was Levens!

What's the point in trying to compare your time on a local say, Spocco 10 against a dragstrip ten like levens or the V718?
    Some courses are generally faster than others, that might be topography, an element of traffic count, prevailing wind direction, number of turns, number of roundabouts to cross.

Too many variables to compare a ten time over two different courses.

Turn up, race against youtr own pb for that course, beat as many of your fellow competitors as possible. Job done. Don't worry about what someone is doing on a dragstrip.

Or put an entry in and ride something like Levens then you'll know.
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    The D10/19 course must be the fastest as it has the unofficial record, it's only 144ft of ascent.
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    Our club 10 (A10/16) http://www.alfretonparkvets.co.uk/matlockcc/coursemap.php?course=1
    has an ascent of 151ft, but then has a roundabout at the half way point which only the very brave go full tilt around.

28 minutes for your 10 sounds pretty good considering you have 558 ft of climb.

Our hilly TT is a tad longer than yours at 10.4 miles and has 709ft of climb...record for that is 26:33.

So I guess the answer is average TT climb varies a lot.. depends on where you're based.
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • RCC
    RCC Posts: 19

Cheating? Not a chance, because the surface is shocking, the course is exposed and has some draggy false flats. The 718 is much faster as there are more concealed sections with the road below the surrounding fields.

A cheats course is the 25 mile course on the R25/3h or R25/3l in Wales, it starts on top of a huge hill for 5 miles and finishes at the bottom. Even though I say this I beat this time on the A25/11 at Etwall which has a pretty tough climb at 13 to 14 miles. This just goes to show how surfaces and shelter can reduce the time quite considerably.

I would love to see Brad ride the 718 on a float day, he would hammer his existing national record.
  • jfwall
    jfwall Posts: 41
    The A59 Southport CC 10 is super flat with only a 142' gain 'v' 108' loss over the course. Still feels like a climb at the end thought :?