Service or replace

zippy12
zippy12 Posts: 20
edited February 2010 in MTB general
Hi,
I'm looking for some advice. I own a specialized stumperjumper fsr xc comp 02. I'm thinking about replacing the shocks on it.

Would people recommend replacing or servicing the the old ones. It currently has the standard shocks, front fox float RL 80mm with rebound and compression adjustment and rear fox float RL rebound adjustment and lockout 6" x 1.25" (152mm x 31.75mm).

If I was to replace them what shocks would people recommend as I can't seem to find anything the same size for the rear. I don't have a lot of money to spend so shocks around £100 mark for each.

Also if I was to service them. Is there a service kit I could buy, I'm not that up on servicing shocks but would get a guide from park or somewhere.

Cheers in advance Mike
[/list]

Comments

• bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    Gonna go out on a limb and say without really checking that 100 GBP will not get you a better shock (front or rear) than you have atm. 200 quid I suppose will be enough for full professional servicing and although I believe Fox have web service guides on their shocks I'm not so sure on service kits (but they must be available)

get a quote for servicing. Try TF Tuned for a guide price then ask your LBS.

What's up with your current fork and shock, are they sticky / leaking etc?
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • Don't think there is anything really wrong shocks just getting old (don't know if that matters)

so a good service should do it then, they haven't been serviced in years from I remember.

I'm not that on shock so I don't really know if the standard shocks are that good, but from your reply I'm guessing there not that bad really.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    a service is the way to go i would say. either mojo or tftuned will be your best bet and both will be very swift and accomodating
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    As they're Fox, get them to Mojo, £100 an end and they'll have them good as new. Also if you're not 12.5stone of there about's you can get them 'tuned' to your weight for a couple of quid, makes a difference.
  • P-Jay wrote:
    As they're Fox, get them to Mojo, £100 an end and they'll have them good as new. Also if you're not 12.5stone of there about's you can get them 'tuned' to your weight for a couple of quid, makes a difference.

i'm about a stone over that :-)
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    P-Jay wrote:
    As they're Fox, get them to Mojo, £100 an end and they'll have them good as new.

Atually given their age (way out of warranty) I'd say TFTuned from personal experience. I got better support from them than MOJO when I got my Fox TALAS forks serviced.

I agree with the others, find the money to get them properly serviced, you'll probably be amazed at how much better they perform. £ 100 per end isn't going to get you anything worth having shock wise.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result