Le Tour - The Only Race That Matters?

pedro118118
pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
edited February 2010 in Pro race
The season is barely underway, yet much of the talk is about what will happen at the Tour.

Riders are interviewed after races and maintain that their 'objectives' are based around a July peak in form.

Armstrong (he must be to blame again!) has long adopted the approach of using the first 6 months of the season as selective training. Even the likes of Evans - and now Wiggins - base their seasons/careers around a good placing at the Tour over success in other races; in which they would be very capable.

Why is that?

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Because it's the most important race. It's the only race the general punters might know or show an interest in.

I wish the big names in the sport would try to engage the public in the other races but they don't. Of course, someone countries are more engaged with cycling and understand / appreciate it more, but I think for the english speaking world it's the Tour that counts.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Its the "only race that matters" in the same sense that the Grand National is the "only (horse) race that matters."
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    LangerDan wrote:
    Its the "only race that matters" in the same sense that the Grand National is the "only (horse) race that matters."

you mean it's cruel and really not that good all things considered?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Depends who you ask!!

See: Stijn Devolder.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    GT riders like Armstrong,Evans,Contador etc get interviewd and say they are focusing on the Tour which is fair enough been that way for years but for the few of them that have a chance of wiining in July there are far more focusing on the Spring cobbled/tarmac classics.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • moray_gub
    LangerDan wrote:

The big difference is that horse racing in the UK is massive industry and followed by millions even without the Grand National so i dont think the comparison holds up.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    The whole TDF thing reminds me of baseball and The World Series. During the "regular season" results are only posted in the sports pages and only get a small write up.
    However, once The World Series starts we are talking front page headlines. Even the major network news gets in on the act, and they rarely report on sports during the "regular season". The "big events" get the glory.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Moray Gub wrote:
    LangerDan wrote:

The big difference is that horse racing in the UK is massive industry and followed by millions even without the Grand National so i dont think the comparison holds up.

The Tour and the Grand National are the only events in their respective sports that capture the public interest.

Sure the Gold Cup may have prestige in horse racing circles, but how many people in the street could tell you who won last year? Same as Paris-Roubaix or the Giro for cycling.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Moray Gub wrote:
    LangerDan wrote:

Cycling is not a niche sport in any Western continental nation...
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    Moray Gub wrote:
    LangerDan wrote:

Not a bad comparison,I thought.
    Anyone who knows very little (& cares even less) about horse racing has heard of the Grand National.
    ergo,anyone who knows very little (& cares even less) about cycling has heard of the Tour De France

The press will ALWAYS talk up the TDF,as it's where the public interest is.
    The general public will not have heard of,say,Paris Nice,Paris Roubaix,etc,so there is no percieved value for a journalist to rattle on about these races as the press editors will not include these items in their papers.You've only got to look in the back of any tabloid to see that the general public Only cares about football,& then horse racing :roll:
    so many cols,so little time!
  • moray_gub
    dennisn wrote:
    The whole TDF thing reminds me of baseball and The World Series. During the "regular season" results are only posted in the sports pages and only get a small write up.
    However, once The World Series starts we are talking front page headlines. Even the major network news gets in on the act, and they rarely report on sports during the "regular season". The "big events" get the glory.

The TDF is no different from other massive sporting events when it comes to getting publicity and focus. Olympics ,The Superbowl,World Cup Final,Tennis Grand Slams,Golf Grand Slams etc all get extra exposure.
  • moray_gub
    ont think the comparison holds up.
    Not a bad comparison,I thought.
    Anyone who knows very little (& cares even less) about horse racing has heard of the Grand National.
    ergo,anyone who knows very little (& cares even less) about cycling has heard of the Tour De France

The press will ALWAYS talk up the TDF,as it's where the public interest is.
    The general public will not have heard of,say,Paris Nice,Paris Roubaix,etc,so there is no percieved value for a journalist to rattle on about these races as the press editors will not include these items in their papers.You've only got to look in the back of any tabloid to see that the general public Only cares about football,& then horse racing :roll:[/quote]

See thats the point i was making in the UK Horse racing is massive and it doesnt matter if the National doesnt exists it makes no odds as so many people follow it, where as in the UK so little follow cycling that if the TDF got no publicity then that would amount to next zero coverage of the sport. The UK comparison that really is similiar is the forthcoming Superbowl.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    I suspect to compare the TdF to the Superbowl is about right.

It doesn't capture the public's interest at all, except with a British victory/performance (same as sailing, say) or with a stand-out athlete and PR machine (hello LA). When Wiggo, Cav and Sky shuffle off we'll go back to getting a small piece on the news on the Champs Saturday.

Conversely, this thread would be thought laughable on a Flandrian Bikeradar...

Strava is not Zen.
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Public perception is one thing.

Rider focus is something else - or perhaps they two are interralated?!

What I was getting at is there is a large group of stage-racers, who are 100% focussed on peforming well at the Tour. For some (say, Wiggo, VandeVelde, Kloden), this means a Top 10 placing. For others (say Armstrong, or Evans, or Levi) this means a Top 5 or a podium place. It's the Tour or nothing.

As a rider, I would rather have Vuelta or Giro winner..........or even Paris Nice, Dauphine, Romandy etc.

Contador, I can understand, as he's an overwhelming favourite and stands a very good chance of winning. The Schlecks seem to give the Classics due respect, but can't really think of others. Sanchez? Valverde?
  • The season is barely underway, yet much of the talk is about what will happen at the Tour.

Riders are interviewed after races and maintain that their 'objectives' are based around a July peak in form.

Armstrong (he must be to blame again!) has long adopted the approach of using the first 6 months of the season as selective training. Even the likes of Evans - and now Wiggins - base their seasons/careers around a good placing at the Tour over success in other races; in which they would be very capable.

Why is that?

Someone said to me once that it was something to do with limited amounts of blood bags, but I don't really understand what he was talking about. :?

Of course, it's in LA's interest to build the Tour up as the "one and only", so then his victories are worth more and he can make more money from them.
  • Curiously, no one's mentioned the booty that comes with winning the tdf.

Even the secondary players get a fistful ( I think? :? ). Might that be the main reason for concentrating solely on that as the season's no.1 objective? Also, in most cases it defines a cyclist's career for good or ill. It seems to the benchmark for all of cycling. Even the other tours, the track and the olympics are small beer in comparison.

Personally- a bit of an italophile, I far prefer the Giro. :D
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    mercsport wrote:
    Curiously, no one's mentioned the booty that comes with winning the tdf.

Even the secondary players get a fistful ( I think? :? ). Might that be the main reason for concentrating solely on that as the season's no.1 objective? Also, in most cases it defines a cyclist's career for good or ill. It seems to the benchmark for all of cycling. Even the other tours, the track and the olympics are small beer in comparison.

Personally- a bit of an italophile, I far prefer the Giro. :D

The prize-money is normally distributed among the team though, isn't it? Far more money os made from post-tour crits and endorsements for the foolowing year, "Tour winning shoes" and the like.
  • my own preference is for the classics.
    ...the bicycle is the most efficient machine ever created: Converting calories into gas, a bicycle gets the equivalent of three thousand miles per gallon...
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    LangerDan wrote:

Your thick-as-two-short-planks receptionist also picked Contador out of the work sweepstake?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I like Dennis' analogy with the World Series - another event who's leading exponents have established their reputations through institutionalised doping with little regard for the public! The TDF might be the only 'bike race' in the eyes of the media, but apart from the dozen or so leading contenders, I expect it's a bit of a circus for everyone else.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Public perception is one thing.

Rider focus is something else - or perhaps they two are interralated?!

What I was getting at is there is a large group of stage-racers, who are 100% focussed on peforming well at the Tour. For some (say, Wiggo, VandeVelde, Kloden), this means a Top 10 placing. For others (say Armstrong, or Evans, or Levi) this means a Top 5 or a podium place. It's the Tour or nothing.

As a rider, I would rather have Vuelta or Giro winner..........or even Paris Nice, Dauphine, Romandy etc.

Contador, I can understand, as he's an overwhelming favourite and stands a very good chance of winning. The Schlecks seem to give the Classics due respect, but can't really think of others. Sanchez? Valverde?

The Tour gets the most publicity and therefore carries the most kudos with the public. Therefore more riders will target this event, and the more riders that target the event the more important it becomes. The more important it becomes the more riders will target it and the more publicity it will get, and so on. It's self perpetuating.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Monty Dog wrote:
    ........with little regard for the public!.........

I've always felt that the athletes never have given a d*mn about the fans despite all
    the claims of "we love our fans" and the usual 2 or 3 "fan appreciation days". In sports
    it has always seemed to me that all they want is your money to get through the door and then buy their overpriced beer and food. I guess that if I owned a football team that would be all I cared about also. Show me the money.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    the thing is the TdF and even the Grand National are all followed by people who don't actually follow the sport.

I never watch horse racing or take an interest in it yet I do watch the GN every year. The same is true for people with the TdF and cycling. They will only watch that and no other race, my dad who never watches cycling on TV will watch the tour