cycle computers

mrforgetful
mrforgetful Posts: 24
edited February 2010 in MTB general
Serious suggestions please!
Over the years like most i've had my fair share of cycle computers.
In the past three however i have bought 5! The reason for this post is that they all have the same fault... intermittently failing to register speed/distance during a run.

As said i've had a few comps and fitted them all properly, all but one of my latest five are wired (same prob with wireless). These latest ones were all new and i checked and sometimes replaced the batteries anyway.

What is going on, any ideas?...I've heard that some people can't wear digital watches for a similar reason, was it a wind up (no pun intended)

Comments

• What lights? Some of them will interfere with wireless ones certainly.
  • I use a Cateye Strada wireless mounted next to a Hope Vision 4 and NEVER had a problem. Really simple to use computer that has always worked regardless of weather.
  • Thanks for the replies but this doesn't involve lights being anywhere near the comp.
    One of the comps. in question is a wired strada! can't figure it out at all :-(
  • There's no reason why anyone can't wear a digital watch, 'cept maybe for fashion reasons.

Anyone who reports of your EM field "interfering" with any/all surrounding electronic devices is talking rubbish. :D

Lots of things could cause your comp to stop working, most likely is incorrectly aligned sensors, through to damaged wires and low batteries - but i'm guessing you;ve already checked these?

If you're friendly with your LBS they may have a look at it for free?
  • Thanks for that, the EM thing has been mentioned!
    The units don't stop working as such, they just keep throwing up misinformation, say it shows 19mph then instantly drop to 3or 4mph or simple 0 for a short time before resuming and so on.
    Can't be doin with buying more that's for sure!
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    My strada wireless is interfered with by my magicshine if the battery is mounted on the stem.

Moving the battery to the top tube solves this issue.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • some thing is wrong with mine

i have a wireless trek comp, and everything is set up correctly, and did my wheel line, and there is nothing on the bars of my bike except a light, but that doesn't effect it, but last time i was on my bike, it told me i had done a max speed of over 180mph, i don't think im that rapid :P