Writing decals on bikes in English

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
OK Kuota, Italian bike manufacturer. Why do they write the decals on their bikes in English? In this instance 12K carbon monocoque technology.

It's the same with Pinarello, Wilier et al.

Why not Italian? And if I buy the bike in Italy will the written decal-bits be in Italian?
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    OK Kuota, Italian bike manufacturer. Why do they write the decals on their bikes in English? In this instance 12K carbon monocoque technology.

Why not Italian? And if I buy the bike in Italy will the written decal-bits be in Italian?

'cos everyone speaks English... Globalisation, doncha-know?

Cheers,
    W.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Cheers,
    W.

What good is that if I'm from Berlin or China or something.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Cheers,
    W.

What good is that if I'm from Berlin or China or something.

If you're from Berlin or China, you learn English as a second language. You need it for work and it's almost essential for travel etc.

English is now spoken by more people as a second language than as a first one.

Cheers,
    W.
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    Veneto and Lombardia, the regions in Italy where the metnioned bike companies are based, have their own native languages as well as standard Italian. Choosing which of those languages to use, or going for the everybody-understands-it-anyway English option is an easy choice.
    It also means you don't need to make bikes specific to any world region, so you can ship any frame to any part of the world, which avoids a lot of pointless costs.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Presumably the frames are made in Taiwan / China - maybe they apply the decals there as well?
  • Eau Rouge wrote:
    Veneto and Lombardia, the regions in Italy where the metnioned bike companies are based, have their own native languages as well as standard Italian. Choosing which of those languages to use, or going for the everybody-understands-it-anyway English option is an easy choice.
    It also means you don't need to make bikes specific to any world region, so you can ship any frame to any part of the world, which avoids a lot of pointless costs.

To be fair though, even though there's a dialect up there like us in Sicilly, they all speak Italian too. The difference is, the dialects in Italy are almost different languages. The words can vary alot but everyone speaks propper Italian.

I live in England at the moment and drive and Alfa, all the dials etc are in Italian as we, in England associate it with cool and chic........ and unreliable!

In Italy, many things have English words written on them because it's seen as cosmopolitan and cool over there. Even coffee, an inherently Italian brew has words on it in English like "Hot" and "Tasty"!

Guess it's just cultural differences.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Isn't the USA the biggest market therefore they'll just cater for what the majority want?