11 speed Alfine on the way

Roastie
Roastie Posts: 1,968
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
I just picked this up of the Ecovelo blog - 11 speed Alfine hub should be available from around September. Hopefully this will help alleviate the wide gear gap issue with the current Alfine and make it a much more viable alternative to derailleurs. :)

Article Here

Comments

• lol, the shifter goes up to 11!

I'd like one with schlumpf cranks for an off-road bike.
  • Roastie
    I'd like one with schlumpf cranks for an off-road bike.
    Ooooh Oooooh!
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    AND it comes with disc fitting :)
  • Roastie
    AND it comes with disc fitting :)
    So was the old one ...
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    I find the 8 speed just fine......now you've got me thinking......I can see more cash disappearing from my bank account!
  • I also find the 8-speed to be fine and not restrictive in any way, also it's so much more smoother that I would choose it over a derailleur anytime (apart from any potential weight difference if I was a hardcore roadie/racer).

I will probably await a future change in bike rather than upgrade mine from Alfine- 8 to Alfine-11. Those extra three gears and the potential difference in ratio would not make that much difference to my riding style.

It's good to see the technology developing though.

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."
  • Considering the 27-84 gear inch range of my Pylon8 with 38T chainring and 19T sprocket, I'm not sure where I would need three more gears!

I guess, if fitted to a lighter steed than my ~14Kg orange monster (which is likely to get heavier, due to a £92 Tora 318 Solo Air OE from Wiggle), perhaps an increase the the higher end of the range with nice small steps would be useful.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Roastie
    I'm very excited about this - the greater gear range moves it closer to being a viable Rohloff alternative.

What would also be pretty nifty would be a light weight, close ratio version. Anyone from Shimano listening? (I wish)
  • Bill Gates wrote:
    I also find the 8-speed to be fine and not restrictive in any way, also it's so much more smoother that I would choose it over a derailleur anytime (apart from any potential weight difference if I was a hardcore roadie/racer).

I will probably await a future change in bike rather than upgrade mine from Alfine- 8 to Alfine-11. Those extra three gears and the potential difference in ratio would not make that much difference to my riding style.

It's good to see the technology developing though.

+1
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They can be less effiecient than derailers in some combos. Markedly so.