Finally

Wallace1492
Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
At last, back on the bike for a commute for the first time since tearing my calf. Nice day to start, -4C, crisp clear sky. Road and pavement outside my house have a thin covering of snow, but the main roads were fine.

The winter has not been kind to Maryhill Road, and there are all sorts of new potholes to try and dodge. Need to update my mind map of them over next few weeks.

The additional factor today is that I was not alone in the commute in. Have an infestation of mice at the moment, and one was in my live capture trap this morning. Couldn't let it go in the garden as it would be back inside before me, so popped the mouse trap in my rucksack and let it go down the bottom of Maryhill Road beside the canal.

Can't cycle tomorrow due to work, but hopefully that will be me back on it regularly from next week.
"Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"

Comments

• R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    Welcome back to the fold :wink:
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • Is there an FCN modifer for carrying passengers? :wink:
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    ...popped the mouse trap in my rucksack and let it go down the bottom of Maryhill Road beside the canal. ....

I saw a fox near there last week... might take care of it for you...

What time do you pass the canal, Wallace? I'm riding along there a couple of days a week at the moment, when I'm working at the datacentre offices. Aiming to be along that bit around 0745 or so, from the early train, or 0830 from the later one...

Cheers,
    W.

"A mouse took a walk in the deep, dark wood... a fox saw the mouse and the mouse looked good..." :-)
  • Wallace1492
    ...popped the mouse trap in my rucksack and let it go down the bottom of Maryhill Road beside the canal. ....

I saw a fox near there last week... might take care of it for you...

What time do you pass the canal, Wallace? I'm riding along there a couple of days a week at the moment, when I'm working at the datacentre offices. Aiming to be along that bit around 0745 or so, from the early train, or 0830 from the later one...

Cheers,
    W.

"A mouse took a walk in the deep, dark wood... a fox saw the mouse and the mouse looked good..." :-)

I dropped the mouse off at about 7.30ish this morning. Was quite slow in. It was actually on Garscube Road, just opposite the Arnold Clark garage, just after Queens Cross, where th Maryhill Road splits off. Hopefully be a bit quicker home tonight without the passenger and trying to beat the snow.
  • Welcome back! Good to hear you're doing OK.
  • I always knew it was warm in the west. Only -4? It was -6 here.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    .... It was actually on Garscube Road, just opposite the Arnold Clark garage, just after Queens Cross, where th Maryhill Road splits off. ....

Ah! That's by the Glasgow Branch- I don't usually do that bit, though I was along there on Monday to pick up a train home from GLQ, since they don't all stop at Bishopbriggs, heading north.

I had assumed you meant the stretch by the Maryhill locks, where Maryhill Road parallels the canal.

Oh, and AT- yep, warmer & wetter in the West... I'd rather have it cold & dry, TBH, but I go where the work is and at the moment that's west! :-)

Cheers,
    W.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    The additional factor today is that I was not alone in the commute in. Have an infestation of mice at the moment, and one was in my live capture trap this morning. Couldn't let it go in the garden as it would be back inside before me, so popped the mouse trap in my rucksack and let it go down the bottom of Maryhill Road beside the canal.
    Awww, I'm a sucker for a softie :oops:

I've found out the frost has ultimately been good for the roads here. Not only have the council fixed the roads that were damaged by the frost, it's also fixed some other potholes that were already there :D
  • Wallace1492
    Well, managed a full 5 days on the commute this week. Very pleased with it. Cold and crisp every morning, and nice on the way home. Still dark, but getting a slight twinkling in the sky, so looking forward to a nice spring commute.

Didn't manage a full week on the commute till about August last year, so hoping this will be a great year for me on a bike.

Just in from a 20 mile MTB run too, so begining to make up for my time off.
    Do hope next week is lovely and dry, but as we have gone though what I would consider a drought in Glasgow - at least a week since ant significant rain - I think I might be looking out the waterproofs!!
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I've noticed you've jumped back over me in the SCS :(
  • Wallace1492
    suzyb wrote:
    I've noticed you've jumped back over me in the SCS :(

I'm putting in the miles now... but still behind where I want to be - was hoping to get in 500 a month.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Good stuff. :)

Fingers crossed for a good, injury-free year.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."