@rse

prawny
prawny Posts: 5,440
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
As most of you will have seen me moaning I've been off the bike for a while now, waiting for baby and now waiting for baby to wake up/cry/poo/vomit. Tomorrow the wife is giving me a couple of hours off and suggested I go out on the bike. :D

So, as I haven't used it for a while I've just been to check my bike over put a drop of lube in it check pressures etc, first thing i did squeeze brakes, fine, go to spin pedals, they wont budge, nothing.

closer inspection reveals an orange chain, seized in the shape it's been resting in for the last 3 weeks. Bugger. :cry:

I've just soaked it in degreaser and then light oil, I'll give it a soaking in wet lube before I go to bed tonight, fingres crossed it'll be moving tomorrow.
Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017

Comments

• merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    Diesel is supposed to be good at freeing seized things up, relatively cheap too.
    Good luck.
    Congratulations too! :P :P
    I take it you were waiting for the baby to cry poo vomit?[/i]
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Coongrats!

Similar thing happened to my mtb chain last year. Give all the links a really good wiggle (scientific term) before you go to bed, too.

If that doesn't work, take the bambino out in the pram to the LBS to get a new chain. On your way back, get some pastries (if she likes them) for Mrs Prawny. That way, you've given her a break/chance for a nap and brought back food. That should make you less unpopular if bambino starts to cry/poo/vomit when you're out on your ride. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Paraffin - soak it for 24 hours will be good as new
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Congratulations!

Diesel is a good degreaser, my son tells me they use it a lot on ship for cleaning engine parts - keep well away from the frame or painted bits though!

As for the brakes, maybe they'll have to come off for a good clean up.

Have a good day tomorrow.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • prawny
    Hooray! My previous efforts have free'd the chain up nicely.

Unfortunately while checking the indexing my gear cable snapped! WTF! I think the man upstairs doesn't want me riding tomorrow :?
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    prawny wrote:

Unfortunately while checking the indexing my gear cable snapped! WTF! I think the man upstairs doesn't want me riding tomorrow :?

You were going on your road bike weren't you? :D

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • prawny
    Benno68 wrote:
    prawny wrote:

You were going on your road bike weren't you? :D

Yep, so now it's either a long soak in the bath or a lap of follow the dog. Hmmmm.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017