Best p****** proof tyres

benvickery
benvickery Posts: 124
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
I bet this has been discussed before but after a search I didn't find anything relevant but...

what are the best p********** resistant tyres on the market? I got another one this morning on the way to work and although I fixed it quickly as always, I discovered that my pump was broken. Then after standing at the side of the road for 50 minutes my wife finally came and got. Needless to say I was rather late for work and was absolutely freezing.

FCN : 4

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,420
    For 700 x 23c, both Specialized Armadillos and Conti UltraGatorskins are pretty good. The Armadillos are I think slightly tougher, but not as comfortable or light as the Gators. A various discussions at different bike shops around London has seemed to back this up. I've still had the odd flint/glass shard get through both though.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Marathon Plus....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    As Wallace says, Marathon Plus, or for a lighter option I've heard good things about Bontrager hardcases.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I asked about this here a while back and plumped for Gators. They've been good so far, only a couple of punctures in 5 or 6 months I think, whereas with the old tyres I'd get a couple a month....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • They're a little on the heavy side but as a commuting/training tyre Vittoria Rubino's 700x23c are pretty much indestructible, (its nearly a 1000 miles since my last visit from the PF), & cheap.
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Maxxis re-fuse.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    spesh armadillo for me. Was suffering the normal pf's until i got one for the rear (99% of my flats are ont he rear tyre.)

I then rode for 9 months and 3,000 miles through the streets of old london town before i got antoher one and that was cos i have worn the tread flat. Just bought one tyre again, put the new one on the rear and the worn one on the front.

and that's magic!
    FCN = 4
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    You put your worn tyre on the front where you need the grip most? I can`t see the sense in that.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • marathon plus, but so slooooooow

Alternatively run some pro-3 race ghetto tubeless like i shall be in the spring. Super-light, grippy and almost entirely puncture-proof.
  • MTB-Idle wrote:
    spesh armadillo for me. Was suffering the normal pf's until i got one for the rear (99% of my flats are ont he rear tyre.)

I then rode for 9 months and 3,000 miles through the streets of old london town before i got antoher one and that was cos i have worn the tread flat. Just bought one tyre again, put the new one on the rear and the worn one on the front.

and that's magic!

That is stupid, don't do that. New tyre goes on the front, old front goes on the back.
  • yakk
    yakk Posts: 589
    Marathon plus +++. Vittoria randoneur. Vittoria Rubino, from best resistance and heavy to less resistant/lighter but still good. Marathon Plus's do grip well, something to bear in mind. Gatorskins haven't worked that well for me, but they were reasonably light. Bearing in mind that London roads are so very crap.....
    Best of luck.

Used armadillos in MTB range and found them to be skittish in the wet, but not sure if the road tyres are like that.

Yak
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    marathon plus and ultragator skin aren't in the same league

The marathon plus is slower. This is probably because it weighs 770g against 320g for a ultragator. But all the weight is extra puncture resistance.

I used Gatorskins for a few years and I'd guess I had a puncture every 2,000-3,000km. I have heard from reputable sources that ultragator skins do less well in areas with flints- which I am not, generally. Two or three thousand km is pretty good going, I feel.

However, I just retired (haha) a marathon plus that had worn tread. It had done over 8,000km with no punctures. That was the rear tyre. The front tyre of the same set has been rotated to the back and is still going, 9,200km and no punctures. These tyres have been on my bike I ride on the worst roads, in the worst weather

Spa Cycles do Marathon Plus for £19
  • Conti 4 season for commuting.Odd looking with the brown sidewall but perform very well in all conditions and no punctures yet in quite a few miles.

Conti 4000s on the fixed. Better tyre generally and will prob replace the 4 season with these next time round.

I have the Marathons on the tandem and good for canal paths and the like, but for my liking too heavy and slow for the road. And a real pain to fit. Others rave about them, though.

My wife uses the Conti Travel contact on her MTB for commuting and tow paths, forest tracks, etc and rates them highly.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    They're a little on the heavy side but as a commuting/training tyre Vittoria Rubino's 700x23c are pretty much indestructible, (its nearly a 1000 miles since my last visit from the PF), & cheap.

they're much lighter than the conti or armadillos, easier to get on and off the bike as well
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • +1 for the Continental Grand Prix 4 Seasons. No visits from the pf so far with these and they seem to cope well in the wet. Possibly not the fastest but I'm happy with that on a commuter...
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    With a FCN of 4, are you on a road bike? :)

Assuming you are, Schwalbe Durano Pluses are well worth a look. I switched to them after getting very annoyed with my rear Gatorskins (non-folding, 25mm) summoning the deflation fairy way too often in the first 1,000 miles. That said, I'd used 23mm Gatorskins for the previous 12 months and they were great. Had a series of bad experiences with my 25mms before using the 23mms, too.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • These should be Ok
    151302453_0c27c4537b.jpg
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    They're a little on the heavy side but as a commuting/training tyre Vittoria Rubino's 700x23c are pretty much indestructible, (its nearly a 1000 miles since my last visit from the PF), & cheap.

I don't find them very p-proof (VR Pros), but they look nice and perform well imo. Maybe the roads in my area are just c**p
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Thanks for your comments!! There's definitely a lot of choice and I shall be putting an order in for some Vittoria Rubinos asap.

I was OK today but as my little frame pump broke, I had to carry my track pump in my backpack just in case :D

I ride a Planet X SL Pro for those who asked.

FCN : 4
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    cjcp wrote:
    With a FCN of 4, are you on a road bike? :)

Assuming you are, Schwalbe Durano Pluses are well worth a look. I switched to them after getting very annoyed with my rear Gatorskins (non-folding, 25mm) summoning the deflation fairy way too often in the first 1,000 miles. That said, I'd used 23mm Gatorskins for the previous 12 months and they were great. Had a series of bad experiences with my 25mms before using the 23mms, too.

Hey, can I get a modifier for using marathon plus tyres?
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    benvickery wrote:
    Thanks for your comments!! There's definitely a lot of choice and I shall be putting an order in for some Vittoria Rubinos asap.

I was OK today but as my little frame pump broke, I had to carry my track pump in my backpack just in case :D

I ride a Planet X SL Pro for those who asked.

I think it's the Rubino Pro's that are the recommended tyres, rather then the Rubino's.
    Hope so, I've some lime green Pro's on order...
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Rubino Pro's rock. End of.

:lol: