Tell me about base layers

redvee
redvee Posts: 11,922
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
Splashed out on a base layer from TK Maxx at the weekend. Should I wear directly on top of it?
I'm thinking base layer then LS cycling top then night vision jacket.
I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.

Comments

• gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    The more layers the harder it is for the sweat to evaporate. no more than 2 layers on top imo.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Depends how hot you get. I'm a sweaty git so have been wearing a LS base layer and water resistant jacket which is enough for me. Baselayer in an Enduro merino which is great, it's a little expensive but doesn't smell, so I can wear it all week.
  • Base layer plus windproof jacket works for I, but I don't really get cold.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    base layer + night vision windproof is my staple attire - did me fine in -3
  • See, where's the humour gone chaps... Why did someone not start with Once Upon A Time there was a Layer who liked to be close the skin and he liked bangin tunes so decided to call himself Bass Layer, however the cretin in the council office when he went to get it changed by deed poll couldn't spell properly and Base Layer was announced to the world...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Canny Jock wrote:
    Depends how hot you get.

+1

I'm happy with SS base layer and night vision jacket even in the snow at about -8.

On the other hand, I rode to work this morning with my bro (its about 5 degrees) and he had LS base layer, SS DH top, LS DH top, night vision jacket and even a skull cap...!

Depends who you are!
    Giant Reign - now sold :-(
    Rockhopper Pro - XC and commuting
    DH8 - New toy :-)
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,375
    See, where's the humour gone chaps... Why did someone not start with Once Upon A Time there was a Layer who liked to be close the skin and he liked bangin tunes so decided to call himself Bass Layer, however the cretin in the council office when he went to get it changed by deed poll couldn't spell properly and Base Layer was announced to the world...

3/10

a spirited effort but needs more work
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Base layer and the jacket should be fine, it's the wind that really makes you cold so the jacket will sort that out. On exceptionally cold days I wear a short sleeve base layer over my l/s one.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    See, where's the humour gone chaps... Why did someone not start with Once Upon A Time there was a Layer who liked to be close the skin and he liked bangin tunes so decided to call himself Bass Layer, however the cretin in the council office when he went to get it changed by deed poll couldn't spell properly and Base Layer was announced to the world...

You're right, where's the humour gone. A sad day :(
  • Canny Jock wrote:
    Baselayer in an Enduro merino which is great, it's a little expensive but doesn't smell, so I can wear it all week.

I know it doesn't get smelly but is it really hygenic? At risk of sounding like a bit of a girl, I hate the thought of putting on a b/l that is covered in dried sweat, regardless of how it smells. I still wash my Merino base layer after every day the same as I do my synthetic ones
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    I see your point, but it just doesn't bother me. If it looks clean and smells clean that's enough :)