Planet X Track Bike Sizes

ah_whitt
ah_whitt Posts: 55
edited December 2011 in Track
I'm thinking of buying a new/second hand track bike and just wondered what people thought of the Planet X track bike's and what the sizes come out like.

I ride a 54" road bike yet really got on well with a the medium planet x (I borrowed a friends for a 500TT effort at some recent Track Champs and fell in love). I feel so confident riding it, I have since ridden it a few times but I don't have a good comparison.

My question is, would I get on even better with a small (in effect 54)? do those people with planet x track bikes buy the same size as their road bikes in general???

Alternative suggestions for bikes, and why, would also be appreciated.

Comments

• oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Well as you have not said how tall you are, what your leg size is, it is difficult to comment.
    If you ride 54 and the one you tried was 54 and felt good I guess thats the one for you.
    If you went for a small you may be too cramped.
    Measure your road bike set up, try your friends bike and see if you can set it up the same, if that feels right get that one.
  • Well, I'm 5ft 10 & female (typical short torso/long legs).

I ride a 54 road bike, the planet X I got on well with is a medium which equates to a 56. This feels good, but I'm conscious that I should probably order a small, but I can't try one.

What I wanted to know is who else rides a planet x track bike and whether they ride the same size as their road bike or larger/smaller - make sense?

Cheers
  • oldwelshman
    I suppose if you have short torso and long legs the small might be better being 54cm as the top tube length is important.
    I see several Planet x bikes every friday in Newport maybe some one will l et you test one :D
  • oldwelshman
    By tghe way I am also 5'10 with short torso and 33" leg but I ride a dolan, and a 58cm 853.
  • I am also 5'10 and I have choosen Size S (one size smaller than my road bike). The reason was, that I wanted a smaller headtube for beiing able to adjust the handlebar deeper for pursuits.

planet_x_track.jpg

The bike itself is a good choice.
  • oldwelshman
    maximgold wrote:
    I am also 5'10 and I have choosen Size S (one size smaller than my road bike). The reason was, that I wanted a smaller headtube for beiing able to adjust the handlebar deeper for pursuits.

planet_x_track.jpg

The bike itself is a good choice.
    Do your knees hit your chest now? :D
    I had to lift my bars on the front slightly to stop that.

SAw a couple of small planet x ones today in Newport, bit too small for me.
  • One minute I'm going for a Small and then I'm not so sure!!! Keep the ideas coming in.

Are there any 'proper' Bike Shops (ie not internet) that sell a good range of Track Bikes out there, that are good at fitting people to bikes???
  • oldwelshman
    To be honest, both would probably fit you as there is not a huge amount of difference, would just have to ensure correct saddle position and right stem.
    Most people tend to try track bikes for size when they are at a track training, you tried a medium, go along and look for some one with a small :)
    the guys at planet x are quite helpful, maybe drop them a linne with your measurments and see what they suggest. Dolan would do the same.
  • oldwelshman
    Where are you anyway?
    I know in Newport friday for the vets there are usually a few planet x bikes in use, depends how far away you are :D if your 40 or over, or can pass for that :) you could even join in the training.
  • Do your knees hit your chest now? :D

No problem with the drop bar. I even think about taking away one spacer. But I haven't tried it with the aerobar (I will use a Profile stem with -25 degree and a Oval A710 Clip-on with it).

@ah_whitt: As oldswelshman said, you will go fine with both sizes. Your choice should depend on your preferred use. If TT or pursuit is on your target, then I would choose size S, for the other disziplines you might come away with size M.
  • oldwelshman
    maximgold wrote:
    Do your knees hit your chest now? :D

No problem with the drop bar. I even think about taking away one spacer. But I haven't tried it with the aerobar (I will use a Profile stem with -25 degree and a Oval A710 Clip-on with it).

@ah_whitt: As oldswelshman said, you will go fine with both sizes. Your choice should depend on your preferred use. If TT or pursuit is on your target, then I would choose size S, for the other disziplines you might come away with size M.
    I ended up buying identical stems and fitting low bar to the new one so all I have to do is loosen headset and replace, much easier than messing about tring to fit the low bars in the same stem and getting rotation and position right, use exactly the same number of spacers also so easy set up.
    Can't believe how easier it is to do 2mph more per lap on low bars :D
    Doing secret training to enter vets pursuit this year.
  • Yes, and it was so much easier with the threaded headsets. Just one screw for the stem to replace it with no need to adjust the play of the headset...

Good luck with your training. May be we will see us at the vets...
  • Thanks guys, I have just ordered Planet X's 'ex Display' model, a small with a 120mm stem. :D I've got to do justice to it now!!!

I am based Lichfield, which is a pain as half way between Manchester & Newport, but plan to train at Newcastle U Lyme (outdoor), where I learnt last summer.

LVRC training 21st Feb @ Manchester will hopefully be it's first venture out as long as I don't pick up any snowboarding injuries next week! Then occasional trips before National and then European Masters.

Maybe see you around.

Thanks again guys.
  • Crimmey
    Crimmey Posts: 207
    I have to say thanks too, after following advice on this thread I bought my self one of the clearance track bikes too. Can't wait to use it. Fed up of using the Velodromes own bikes. Its gotta make me faster if I select the most suitable gearing...right?? :)
  • oldwelshman
    ah_whitt wrote:
    Thanks guys, I have just ordered Planet X's 'ex Display' model, a small with a 120mm stem. :D I've got to do justice to it now!!!

I am based Lichfield, which is a pain as half way between Manchester & Newport, but plan to train at Newcastle U Lyme (outdoor), where I learnt last summer.

LVRC training 21st Feb @ Manchester will hopefully be it's first venture out as long as I don't pick up any snowboarding injuries next week! Then occasional trips before National and then European Masters.

Maybe see you around.

Thanks again guys.
    lvrc 21st feb? May see if I can make it.
    Seen a few Lichfield riders at Newport on verts night.
  • Crimmey,

Have you got your bike yet? hope to get mine tomorrow :lol:

Only problem is the gears supplied, who wants 48-16, giving me 79.7 !!! guess that's the next purchase, any ideas what make is best, or should I say good value!

Cheers Alison
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    +1 for the Dura Ace sprockets.

As far as chainrings go, it's worth investing in and building a collection of the Sugino 75 chainrings - I'm pretty sure the chainset on your P-X is 144 pcd.

Give Dolans a call for both chainrings and sprockets.
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • Crimmey
    Hi ah_whitt.

Not got bike yet, ordered a week ago but I haven't had a confirmation email or anything so going to ring up later today. Did you get any confirmation? I paid by paypal and the money had come out.

I looked at their on_one site and if they are the same cranks on there as the track bike, BCD is 130mm. I just got one, 50t chainring, £10 from ebay so I hope its a 130mm and 1/8th.
  • The On-One-Track crankset has a PCD of 144 mm.

I changed the cog to 15 teeth. For me this gives a good gear ratio for training. I do also prefer the DA track cogs. For the chainrings DA seems a good alternative too, but they are expensive. I have a collection of TA chainrings with which I am also satisfied.

One can spend a nice amount of money for the various rings and cogs. I would recommend to start with 48 and 50 teeth chainrings and 14 and 15 teeth cogs. 48/15 is a good ratio for training, you can use 50/15 for points race or scratch and 50/14 will work fine for pursuit.
  • Crimmey
    Thanks for that. Will get lots of cogs as soon as. Bike has arrived and it is 144BCD :( so this 130mm 50t will have to go. Bike is great. and looks amazing.
  • Renmj
    Renmj Posts: 1
    Hi all,
    I've been looking at these bikes also - for my son here in Perth (Australia)...
    The thread has been useful - I think as a growing 5'7" 14 year old - he would be ok on a small...
    He has friends on the same bike and I was worried he would grow through it too soon - but I am now more confident he would fit this for a reasonable timeframe...
    He rides a giant road bike (small 46")...
    What's the feeling on how these perform relative to Dolans, Avantis, Felts, BT's etc...
    They are awesome value - but seem respected...(?)
    Also...am I better to go with the frame only and build the bike up as I here the spec quality may be low on the full bike components (wheels especially)...?
    Thanks for your patience in reading through this (never replied to one of these before -so tell me off if I was supposed to start a new thread) :|
  • 12-32
    12-32 Posts: 4
    You'll get far better value by buying the bike rather than just a frame, check this out for £899 with a 'free' pair of race wheels:

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBP ... track_bike

As regards the kit on the bike it'll be fine for your son unless he is extraordinarily powerful, plenty of adults race on this stuff over here.

I have one of these frames and would prefer a Dolan but the Planet X is £500 cheaper. You're obviously aware that this bike won't fit your son forever so it might be worth waiting until he's stop grown before springing for the BT.

I'll check back in a bit if you have any more questions.
  • PhilPub
    PhilPub Posts: 229
    Renmj, I wouldn't be at all concerned with the quality level of components on the complete bike, especially on the offer above. I don't know about the On-One wheels that come with that spec but if they're anything like the PX Model B wheels that I've got on both my PX carbon road and track bikes, they're a very good combo of strong, stiff, light and smooth for the money. (For all I know they could be the same wheels re-branded; they look very similar.)

Going through the other components, I'm happy enough with PX own brand seat post, stem/bars and the Stronglight chainset as well. Even if you wanted to swap out the odd bit for something higher spec in the long run, it's a very good package for the money.