Bike Insurance : 3rd party / theft etc

londonlivvy
londonlivvy Posts: 644
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
Had a bit of a search on this but haven't found the answers so hope you don't mind me posting this subject again....

Current home insurance covers theft for any bike under £5k from my flat, and £500 away from home. So my hybrid is covered when I'm at the pub etc, as is my old race bike (though replacing the latter would undoubtedly cost more than I paid for it). But my new Orbea is emphatically not insured away from home.

1) Is there a better household insurance system which would allow me to have a more expensive bike insured away from home? M&S seem to come recommended for this. Others?

2) I've looked at separate bike insurance schemes but most seem to also cover it at home too (which means I'm paying to insure it twice). Most (british cycling, cycleguard etc) also seem mighty pricey.

3) What's the best plan for 3rd party cover? I've been buying the CTC insurance as 3rd party cover but this is now up for renewal.

E&L seem to do both of the above for about £17 a month for my Orbea. Is there a better deal out there?

Comments

• I use Hiscox for our home insurance. Bikes are covered as special items. Value and where they are aren't problems.

BCF membership for third party stuff.

No idea whether how these compare for cost to what you're paying though. So that helps...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Dude I just payed under $200 (pound sign broken as in my comp) which has got me a years insurance, third party thing, legal cover thing and accident damage that also covers my bike which is over $1000.

You just have to shop around, I used the go compare site its a tight deal...however if you live in crap neighbourhood then it will cost more money.
  • Greg66 wrote:
    I use Hiscox for our home insurance. Bikes are covered as special items. Value and where they are aren't problems.

BCF membership for third party stuff.

+1
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    You might find that if your bike is specifically named on your house contents policy then it will be covered away from home provided it is locked. I insure with Churchill who advised they could offer to insure my bikes away from home if locked or locked away if I named them. It cost only about another £20 a year for all my bikes, so worth it in my view.

I looked at M&S insurance last year as a few cyclists seem to rate if but didn't take it out as I saw a few clauses in the t&c I wasn't happy with, but can't remember what they were now.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Legal and General home and contents - They put an automatic limit of £1000 on a bike so I rang and negotiated directly what cover I wanted they upped the geeneral level of cover to £1300 (for 2 x bikes) & I've got car like insurance for £6+ a month on my regular household premium, cover anywhere and including 3rd party and legal cover on my specified main use bike.