Snapped argyles

JamesBrckmn
JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
edited February 2010 in MTB general
My dirt jumping friend who has Rockshox argylles on a dmr rhythm managed to snap them by nose-casing a tuck no hand on a big jump nearby called the superbooster. They snapped at the base of the steerer, and he should get new ones on warranty, but i was wondering if it was because they were built badly or put on the bike badly (the lbs put them on), or was it just a case of they aren't strong enough to take that kind of riding?
18666_1317358541740_1464032585_30903567_483145_n.jpg

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if he gets some on warrenty for casing a jump i will be surprised.

if there has been a fault in the steerer then maybe.

things break if you get it wrong.

hell crash your car and what happens.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They bust because he crashed heavily nose first!
  • JamesBrckmn
    I suppose. But since they are aimed at the DJ/freeride market, wouldn't they be built to survive crashes or bad landings? Also, warranty is generally needed if you crash or land badly, so what's the point if warranty doesn't cover it?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    So why not jump on 25 mm stanchioned forks? Because they will snap even on good landings! The Arhyle is designed to resisit the rigours of hard dirt jumping and will allow some mistakes. But big front enders and big crashes no.

Warranty covers defects.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Warranties are for manufacturing defects, not crashes/accidents.

The forks are designed for heavy abuse, but not for that sort of impact, any fork would break if you did that to it.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • JamesBrckmn
    Ok, thanks. He may be disapointed to hear that...
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    They might offer a replacement, but it would be a goodwill job.

If they started having to replace every part that got destroyed in crashes they'd ether have to put prices up, over massivily over engineer everything making it stupidly heavy, and still put the prices up.
  • I've pooed myself just looking at that jump!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    IMO you shouldn't have posted the 2nd pic because it would /could harm ur friends chances of a claim ... if you were hoping to BS your claim ..

It reminds of the classic Andy Perry who falsely claimed for a back injured whom was stupid enough to have been snapped doing a summersault into a pool which ended up in the sunday mail ... and I knew the bloke

He took a heavy amount of abuse for it on the forums .. He worked in HMV argyle st glasgow
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Bad end for such an expensive and great fork. :(
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    edited February 2010
    Ouch.. bad ending for Argyles..

James, out of interest, where is that pic taken mate? (Just curious, can't jump for Shoot these days!) Looks like Milford/Wisley way, but I could be wrong? :?
  • Is he sending them back, if not i'll gladly take them off his hands... Fancy the lowers for botching together into a fork for my jump bike...
  • JamesBrckmn
    Yeh, that's over near milford/witley, near the cemetry, and near the road from milford onto the A3. It's on the side of the A3 that Milford is on, not the side most of the jumps are. I've now deleted it thanks to colins advice. Why would that harm his chances of a claim?
  • RIKO
    RIKO Posts: 559
    To repeat the above nothing is indestructable you hit something hard enough it'll break, ther's a difference between designing something for certain conditions /styles and making something that won't snap if you case a jump like that,.
  • Beardface
    Cheers James, I thought it was that way.. I head over there on XC loops and go past the jumps.. haha, simply put, some of them make me go :shock:

Maybe one day I might build up another jump bike and start breaking myself again... :lol:
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    edited February 2010
    sorry my internets got stuck in echo mode
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    yep just watch nwd 10, its more fun :lol:

James whats your dj friend decided to do?
  • Beardface
    bobpzero wrote:
    yep just watch nwd 10, its more fun :lol:
    Doesn't work mate, makes me want to do it even more.. every time I watch NWD or something, I end up trawling the web for DJ bikes and full on DH bikes too... :? :lol:
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    is it just the steerer tube that is damaged...

can the steerer be replaced?
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • JamesBrckmn
    I did suggest new uppers to him. i don't think the steerer can be replaced.
    It turns out they were second hand and had been 'used' (thrashed to within an inch of breaking, then sold on)
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Good luck getting them warranted. Rock Shox warranty only covers original owner
  • JamesBrckmn
    And it doesn't cover crashing either. I think he's getting dj1's in the wiggle sale @ £140 - cheaper than new uppers