Assembling an interweb bike

bigbadbikeboy
bigbadbikeboy Posts: 3
edited February 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi, ive just ordered a Diamondback overdrive from www.mailorderbikes.com and wanted to know what it means when they say 85% assembled. I have emailed them this morning and am still waiting for a reply cos im so impatient. The bikes going to arrive on thursday and i want to know if i should attempt to build the bikle myself (i have an o level in design tech) or if i should take it to my local bike shop to get them to build it. I think i can do the brakes easily enough, theyre v-style, but im useless with gears, advice please!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Usually you have to install the front wheel, possibly attach handlebars, install pedals, pump tyres up, perform a full check and adjustment of all parts ie gears brakes, check bolts, adjust suspension etc.
  • cheers for the speedy reply. I think i will give it a go and then take it to my local shop if i have any trouble.

thanks supersonic

haha just realised why your called speedy!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Loads of guides on the web - try Park Tools.

Is good to eventually learn these things.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Sonics right, best to learn yourself as soon as possible. Park tools online guides are pretty good and free :wink:

That said it doesn't hurt to find a local bike shop and make some purchases there ase well as online. I'm pretty handy n ow around the bike but still use my LBS as a back up when things go wrong or they have an expensive tool I don't have.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • scars
    scars Posts: 360
    Alright buddy,

My girlfriends bike came 85% built. nothing major, Both wheels need putting on, the pedals need putting onto the crank arms and the handlebars need bolting to the stem.

The only thing I found especially with cables is dont go at it like a bull in the china shop, the sheafing wasnt pushed into the cable mounts so I had to take a quick step back just to work out what sheafing went into each mount.

Half an hour, a few allen keys and a spanner... jobs a gooden :)
  • Your spokes will almost certainly be loose / wheels out of true. I would put it together and take down to your Lbs and ask if you can watch them pdi it. Might cost you £40-80 but you probably saved that by buying online. Beginners should buy their bikes from a shop.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    thomasali wrote:
    Your spokes will almost certainly be loose / wheels out of true.

I bought a cheap (or at least it seems cheap now) bike when I first got into MTBing 18 months ago, the wheels on that were fine, dead true with well tensioned spokes.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    thomasali wrote:
    Your spokes will almost certainly be loose / wheels out of true. I would put it together and take down to your Lbs and ask if you can watch them pdi it. Might cost you £40-80 but you probably saved that by buying online. Beginners should buy their bikes from a shop.

Slight scare mongering there, why will they certainly be loose and wheels out of true? Not all LBS's are like Halfords. :lol:
  • scars
    scars Posts: 360
    bails87 wrote:
    thomasali wrote:
    Your spokes will almost certainly be loose / wheels out of true.

I bought a cheap (or at least it seems cheap now) bike when I first got into MTBing 18 months ago, the wheels on that were fine, dead true with well tensioned spokes.

From my experience its a luck of the Draw, out my last 3 new bike 2 have been fine and one awful
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    scars
    Just saying it's not a certainty, that's all.

Briggo
    My 'proper' bike is from Halfords. The bike, and Halfords, have been top class. So that's enough of that cheek :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Danlube
    Danlube Posts: 454
    Good to hear some peeps have good things to say about Halfords, some of us are cyclists too you know 8)

Regards to bikes arriving 85% built, it depends upon the bike make some will pre assemble most of the bike, some will leave most of it in parts. Some pack their bikes with a trees worth of packaging, some use the bare minimum so bikes with care in the packaging shouldnt arrive damaged/buckled wheels and so on. Some do a good job of setting up the gears before hand, some quickly go through them...and i mean 'quickly'. The list can go on n on. DB are good with the packaging and pre setup, but go over 'everything'
    Kona Tanuki Deluxe