Dublin

iainment
iainment Posts: 992
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
City centre speed limit reduced to 30kph(18mph) - AA, taxi drivers and motorists in general fuming. Peds and cyclists pleased. Is this the way of the future?
Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
Joseph Gallivan

Comments

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    iainment wrote:
    City centre speed limit reduced to 30kph(18mph) - AA, taxi drivers and motorists in general fuming. Peds and cyclists pleased. Is this the way of the future?

18mph? Maybe I'd be pleased if I was a 65-year-old cyclist but for the next 30 years, less so!

I think it's a silly idea but I don't understand the dynamics of how traffic moves. If a slower speed actually reduces jams etc. that'd be great. If it's some specious attempt to cut pedestrian injuries, it may well work, to an extent, but if it paralyses a city into the bargain then it's pretty self-defeating.
  • Presumably it only applies to motor vehicles ...which means Dublin drivers can drive as badly as ever but more slowly. What's not to like? Having said that I've always found the problem with Dublin drivers isn't so much their excessive speed as their breathtaking unpredictability.
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000