Should I buy a mountain bike?

woodford2barbican
woodford2barbican Posts: 1,505
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
On the wifes's cycle to work scheme?

I have three road bikes, so don't currently need anymore.

Just wondering what type of bike I need next.....

Any suggestions? Pls no folder suggestions - I would not be seen dead with silly small wheels. Mountain bikes also have silly small wheels, but I can get over that.

Comments

• Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Mountain bikes also have silly small wheels, but I can get over that.

A 29er?
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    surely it would be a bike for your wife....for cycling to her job..... for 50% of her journeys, or part thereof?

oh....forgot the :D and the :wink:
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Yes, you should!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    ... but what/where are you going to be riding...
  • Who says I am going to ride it? I don't get the time. I just want another bike.

As for my wife cycling it - she would have to learn how to first - my 11 month old daughter will have learnt before she does.

Cyclo cross? Pah a 29er with drops would be more suitable.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    fixed wheel?
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Clearly the answer is a monstercrosser.

29er full suspension with 32mm cx tyres, hydro disc brakes and drop bars, the ultimate do it all bike.
  • spursn17
    spursn17 Posts: 284
    You're that close to Epping Forest and you haven't got an MTB????? :shock:
  • spursn17 wrote:
    You're that close to Epping Forest and you haven't got an MTB????? :shock:

That is why I want it......there is a bit of forest 200 yeards from my house......
  • Clearly the answer is a monstercrosser.

29er full suspension with 32mm cx tyres, hydro disc brakes and drop bars, the ultimate do it all bike.

I like your thinking....not sure about the full suspension though. Seems like overkill.
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    Clearly the answer is a monstercrosser.

I like your thinking....not sure about the full suspension though. Seems like overkill.

Unless you are die hard MTBer, you will like a full-susser
  • I've found my self looking at cross bikes recently, I must go an pop some pills.

CX next then!
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • spursn17
    spursn17 Posts: 284
    fnegroni wrote:
    Clearly the answer is a monstercrosser.

Unless you are die hard MTBer, you will like a full-susser

Hardtail will be good enough for Epping Forest.
  • surly pugsley...go on have a look at these babies

http://www.flickr.com/groups/surly-pugsley/

beautiful but useless in a real world.
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,206
    Hardtail MTB should fit the bill for you - are you limited to a £1k on the scheme?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • If you want to ride off-road, then an MTB would seem to be a reasonable thing to get. If you don't, it seems a bit, well, pointless.

If you just want to get a new bike, maybe try a fixed gear. Great fun and good for fitness too.

BTW a folder is not necessarily a bad thing to have. I spend a fair amount of time working in Belgium/Netherlands/France. The Brompton goes on the Eurostar without booking or anything and gives me transport when I'm there. A project a couple of years back was 6 months in Brugge over the summer/autumn and having a bike was great in the evenings, as well as for commuting the few miles from the hotel to the plant. Ditto for when I'm working in somewhere like Manchester for the day or two, which I find a bit too much of a commute from Woking by bike.
  • andrewc3142 GTFO and wash your mouth out. A folder?

If you want to travel get a proper bike, cut it in half and fit the S&S couplings. Far better solution, particularly if you're travelling long distance.

The only brommie i'd ever own is the one with a slumpf drive and rohloff which are custom modified by a bloke up in scotland.
  • If you want to ride off-road, then an MTB would seem to be a reasonable thing to get. If you don't, it seems a bit, well, pointless.

If you just want to get a new bike, maybe try a fixed gear. Great fun and good for fitness too.

BTW a folder is not necessarily a bad thing to have. I spend a fair amount of time working in Belgium/Netherlands/France. The Brompton goes on the Eurostar without booking or anything and gives me transport when I'm there. A project a couple of years back was 6 months in Brugge over the summer/autumn and having a bike was great in the evenings, as well as for commuting the few miles from the hotel to the plant. Ditto for when I'm working in somewhere like Manchester for the day or two, which I find a bit too much of a commute from Woking by bike.

aaaargh! my eyes!!!!!