alu bar replacement?

joshtp
joshtp Posts: 3,966
edited February 2010 in MTB general
iv heard that alu bars can fatigue and should be replaced every year.....
my bars are 2 years old and have had some abuse.... but they look fine, and i really like their feel.
do they need replacing...
if so with what, i want wide, low and cheap, i dont want to spend £40 when im trying to save for wheels and forks...
I like bikes and stuff

Comments

• mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    iv heard that alu bars can fatigue and should be replaced every year.....
    my bras are 2 years old and have had some abuse.... but they look fine, and i really like their feel.
    do they need replacing...
    if so with what, i want wide, low and cheap, i dont want to spend £40 when im trying to save for wheels and forks...

:lol::lol:
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    edited February 2010
    My girlfriends bras seems to last longer than 2 years. You must have big cans for a boy, hence why they've had soo much abuse. I find the silky lacy ones have the best feel, but only when a women is wearing them, can look sexy too, I wouldn't replace them unless you're literally falling out or the strapes break, that's a bad look...
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • mrfmilo
    edited February 2010
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    LOL! just realized! edited......
    lol!
    :lol::lol::lol:
    has anyone got anything proper to say?
    :lol:
    I like bikes and stuff
  • mrfmilo
    Haven't ever heard you need to replace them after every year, but my last set started creaking and flexing quite abit after 1 1/2 years so I replaced them

Depends on what and how often you ride I guess
  • Seriously though.

Do they creek? Can any creek be soley attributed to the bar and not the stem?

Do they feel around where the clamp is to be in perfect alignment when you run your fingers over them?

If they're over 2 years and knocked up a bit I'd buy some more.

If there's one area I don't want to totally fail on my bike for health purposes then that one is my stem and bar face plants are never good.

If you're unsure change them.
  • ads678
    ads678 Posts: 70
    DMR wingbars are quite cheap at around £20ish look great are fairly wide. I've had a set on my GT avalache for a couple of years and love em.
    GT Avalanche 1.0
    Orange Five
  • RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    I'm pretty sure it was Easton that came up with this advice. Probably so they can sell more bars.
    If you bar is alu and it isn't bent, badly scrathed or dented I wouldn't bother replacing it.

Spend the money on pop and sweets instead - like i do!
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey
  • Smiler15
    Smiler15 Posts: 129
    Funn Fatboy's are light and seem strong, got mine for around 30 quid :)
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Truvativ Hussefelt are very cheap, and considering those are a DH bars and with their weight of 320g you'll be fine for 5 years.
  • I still have the exact same aluminum bars on my 1998 bobcat trail that it came with and I use it everyday almost, to fair they aren't super light so the wall thickness is quite high and they haven;t exactly seen much abuse as it mainly a commuter hack and it was sat in the garage for about 5 years at one point....but it is fully rigid so imagine the bars do get some working....no signs of any problems yet.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160