pennine bridleway off the mtl?

scottgeniusltd2005
scottgeniusltd2005 Posts: 575
edited February 2010 in Routes
hi all,

did the new bit of the pennine bridleway from the mtl off the gorple rd just above worsthorne. i followed it down to thursden valley. from here i know where it joins to i.e., the existing bridleway that goes past boulsworth. i didn't fancy doing that bit today, i turned right carried on on widdup road across the res embankment and onto gorple road.

where does it go from the cattle grid? i assume turn left down the hill and then it comes off and goes thru the woods up over the road then a few yards on the tar and then onto the (presumably) upgraded path onto the existing bridleway to laneshawbridge. am i right? if not where do you re join it after the cattle grids?

on another note, going up the steep bit to get the top of gorple road, i met another mtber coming down carrying his bike.

me: "you all right mate?"

him: "no got a puncture"

me: "have you got no tube or repair kit?"

him: "no, in my other bag"

me:"you wanna use mine?"

him:"cheers, thanks"

at this point after removing my pack i realized i had not closed the top after having a banana break. so i, left my bike and kit to let him get on with it whilst i walked down the trail a few hundred yards to see if i had dropped anything. upon returning he says something is bust on the valve. i offer him my tube, he gratefully accepts. but he obviously doesn't know how to fit it and asks me to do it. i fit it (twice, it bulged at valve coz i forgot to push valve in before inflation...ooops).

i noticed that he has non winter spuds on, not much in the way of winter clothing and no tools at all. no food and no lights on the bike, tho he says he has a small headlamp.

wasn't he lucky i came along? he really could of got into some serious trouble, with being sweaty no extra clothes, on his own, no tools, no spare tube and being above 420m in freezing temps way below zero turning to dusk and he had to get back to hebden bridge in what was darkness after we parted. a long way from the climbing tower rocks.

but at least he said he was going to learn from this experience which i hope he does. nice fella, gave me a tenner even tho i tried quite hard not to take it.
so please folks learn from his experience and don't go far without being prepared to walk a long way if something goes wrong.

ps,

if you do up there be it off road or on road be careful there is really wide long sheets of ice 4 or 5 inches thick both on the road and trail.
Cotic Soul rider.

Comments

• Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Ooooh theres a niche in the market, MTB rescue unit, ride around with spare kit etc for the new guys who come ill-equipped.
  • never thought of that...£20 a tube, £10 each gel pack, £50 for jacket hire etc etc
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • bit daft to go out over there and not have some spare kit, its a scarey place at night on your own
    which cattle grid do you mean one at gorple res think theres one there not been that way for a few months or the one in thursden valley

andy
    anthem x with many upgrades
  • the one in thursden valley. the gorple end i know quite well.

cheers
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • if you go left then at bottom of hill you take a right through a gate and up the small wooded area it brings you out at the same place as if you had turned right at the cattle grid your just missing the road out but its a lot steeper, and then yeah your right just join the new bit of bridleway that takes you to laneshaw bridge, i think its a better route than going on the oil track road up to boulsworth hill
    andy
    anthem x with many upgrades
  • cheers andy.
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • Did a few trips up the gorple road last summer with a guy who lives in Worsthorne. He took us on a 2hr sort of figure of 8 loopwhich started with the climb to the top of gorple then down that real steep descent to the rezzy. When we got through the gate we turned left and climbedfor approx a mile til we reached a barely visible path across some fields which hooks up to a man made shale path which descends for about a mile. This climbs up to join up with the gorple road again and to the descent to hurstwood rezzy, up to the wind farm and back through the village. Not being from the area i hope you know what i'm going on about. Takes abot 2 hrs and is a great after work ride.