Will jogging add benefit to base training?

mickmc9
mickmc9 Posts: 17
edited February 2010 in Amateur race
Hi there,

Newbie here, I hope to do some cat 4 races (ireland) this year.
Have been doing 250-300km a week since start of January.
Will jogging 5-6km benefit training much?
Should it be done slow/fast?
70% of max heart rate or higher?

Comments

• If you're riding 250km-300km every week running on top of that isn't necessary imo. In general, running can be a good cardio workout, but it won't benefit cycling; not when you're only running 5km anyway.

If you do decide to start running though, run at a comfortable pace for 20 mins, no more than that, even if you feel you can run for longer. Don't thrash yourself if you're new to running, your joints will hate you for it.
  • oldgreg
    oldgreg Posts: 64
    250-300km is plently of miles for 4th cat races. You will be fine with that, just start hitting chain gangs and intervals before races begin.

My advice is to stay off your feet, as it can exercise alot more muscles which are not used in cycling. A quick spin on a machine in gym is ok, but dont overload running.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    As an alternative view, a lot of training guides promote weight training and non-cycling to bulid core strength in areas other than cycling-specific areas. There are benefits from cross-training as well as benefits from specific training.

Base miles are fundamental, but when the snows came I regularly ran 40-50 minutes in the gym and I feel it has been beneficial to my fitness.
  • Running definitely helps me. You get a good work out at LT in a shorter time. Nothing beats endurance miles this time of the year so with the miles you are doing so long as you are not beating yourself up with hard session you should be fine.

Remember it is a long season and it only February, careful planning of races will reap rewards as you can not be flying all year!

Running is harder on the body and joints but if the weather is too bad for cycling try some. it will not suit everyone but could help give you a little edge.

Good luck for the season.
  • Running definitely helps me. You get a good work out at LT in a shorter time. Nothing beats endurance miles this time of the year so with the miles you are doing so long as you are not beating yourself up with hard session you should be fine.

Remember it is a long season and it only February, careful planning of races will reap rewards as you can not be flying all year!

Running is harder on the body and joints but if the weather is too bad for cycling try some. it will not suit everyone but could help give you a little edge.

Good luck for the season.
  • I have noticed running has helped me. Don't overdo it though! The last thing you need is an injury from running putting you out of the race.

Bike Parts
  • terongi
    terongi Posts: 318
    To the OP:

Although you are, of course, most welcome on any section of the forum to which you wish to contribute, might I suggest that you may get more responses to this query if you put it on the Training section of the Road Forum?
  • Jogging will most certainly aid your fitness, in fact i believe running is one of the best forms of cardio if not the best.

I do quite a bit of running as well as biking and also lots of other sports such as squah and football.

ITS ALL GOOOOOD!

Running is however very strenuous on the body. Your knee's and joints can suffer so i would advise purchasing a good pair of running shoes and socks :)
    2011 Focus Cayo 105 Ltd
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Expert Disk
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    mickmc9 wrote:
    Hi there,

Newbie here, I hope to do some cat 4 races (ireland) this year.
    Have been doing 250-300km a week since start of January.
    Will jogging 5-6km benefit training much?
    Should it be done slow/fast?
    70% of max heart rate or higher?
    Following the principle of "specificity specificity specificity" you'll hopefully not be suprised to here that running makes you better at running