How to throw girlfriend under the bus

2»

Comments

• TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    It's a protein, it could potentially find its way into breast milk, yes, but as was mentioned above, proteins are very nicely digested (i.e. broken down) by our digestive systems, so wouldn't be CERA for very long.

So don't be so alarmist - no, it's not a shining example of motherhood, but it's not like smoking in front of him, or drinking whilst pregnant.

Perspective people, persective!!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Well, the whole point of the CERA generation of epo proteins is that they are modified to hang around in the body a lot longer. I'm guessing the studies on their effect on babies probably hasn't been done. Maybe Andrew Wakefield could have a go (whoah, bit a politics there, ladies an gentlemen...).
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Can't they test the baby? Since it hasn't learned to talk yet it won't be able to lie. :D
  • TommyEss
    DaveyL wrote:
    Well, the whole point of the CERA generation of epo proteins is that they are modified to hang around in the body a lot longer. I'm guessing the studies on their effect on babies probably hasn't been done. Maybe Andrew Wakefield could have a go (whoah, bit a politics there, ladies an gentlemen...).

"Hang around in the body" - You mean blood stream...

The acid in your stomach can (over time) dissolve an iron nail - how do you think a little protein is going to fare? Does your chicken drumstick come out the same as it went in? No - you digest it - unless the baby's injected with EPO/CERA it's jsut going to digest it as another protein.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • TommyEss wrote:
    DaveyL wrote:

"Hang around in the body" - You mean blood stream...

The acid in your stomach can (over time) dissolve an iron nail - how do you think a little protein is going to fare? Does your chicken drumstick come out the same as it went in? No - you digest it - unless the baby's injected with EPO/CERA it's jsut going to digest it as another protein.

you eat a whole drumstick?
    ...the bicycle is the most efficient machine ever created: Converting calories into gas, a bicycle gets the equivalent of three thousand miles per gallon...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Can't they test the baby? Since it hasn't learned to talk yet it won't be able to lie. :D

Even if he's postive, his ban will be over and he'll be back in the peloton and back to his old ways before his third birthday.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • DaveyL
    TommyEss wrote:
    The acid in your stomach can (over time) dissolve an iron nail.

Ooh, I didn't know that. Thanks.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • TommyEss
    DaveyL wrote:
    TommyEss wrote:
    The acid in your stomach can (over time) dissolve an iron nail.

Ooh, I didn't know that. Thanks.

Haha... Not saying anybody should try it, mind...!!! :P
  • DaveyL
    In all seriousness, I would stand by my belief that the drug could find its way into the baby's bloodstream via breast milk. It might be a tiny amount, and not enough to do any harm, as most of it will be broken down in the stomach as you say, but it is still theoretically possible. Colostrum kick-starts the baby's immune system, after all, and comes via breast milk.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • TommyEss
    DaveyL wrote:
    Colostrum kick-starts the baby's immune system, after all, and comes via breast milk.

Yeah, good point - the new-born's digestive system is quite a bit different to an adults, and as you say, colostrum does include lots of growth hormones and the like. Not sure on the exact science, but I'll probably agree with you on the theory.

As to what harm, if any, CERA would do - I'm not so sure - it's a therapeutic at the end of the day, and we're talking very low doses transmitted and taken up by the baby - I'd doubt it'd be physiologically significant.

Breastfeeding mothers are, however, always told to tell the pharmacist/prescribing doctor etc. of that fact before taking any drugs - of course, she may have done and been told that it was ok... Who knows?!
  • DaveyL
    Just what we need - another hospital bed confession.... :D
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • iainf72 wrote:
    They can do whatever they want with their own health, but feeding a baby CERA at 6 months old (probably for a while before too) ??

Would CERA make any difference to breast milk? Any of the science nerds know?

Everything a woman take into her body goes through to the breast milk which feeds the baby. There is a reason breastfeeding mothers are advised to not drink alcohol, smoke, do drugs, take medication etc. If a woman drinks alcohol, then breast feeds her baby, the baby will get the same amount of alcohol in its blood as the mother has.
  • TommyEss
    iainf72 wrote:
    They can do whatever they want with their own health, but feeding a baby CERA at 6 months old (probably for a while before too) ??

Would CERA make any difference to breast milk? Any of the science nerds know?

Everything a woman take into her body goes through to the breast milk which feeds the baby. There is a reason breastfeeding mothers are advised to not drink alcohol, smoke, do drugs, take medication etc. If a woman drinks alcohol, then breast feeds her baby, the baby will get the same amount of alcohol in its blood as the mother has.

No - sorry - that's far too simplistic and completely overlooks the metabolism of the mother.

If the mother ingests alcohol, she digests it, and some of it enters her blood stream where it is metabolised by the liver. During this time, some of it will make it's way into the breast tissue, and will find its way into the breast milk.

The baby will then ingest her milk, which will contain a small amount of alcohol - this is then in turn digested by the baby, and metabolised in their liver. Granted, with a much smaller blood volume, and immature liver, a much smaller amount of alcohol is required to "get a baby drunk" than the mother, but you cannot say
    the baby will get the same amount of alcohol in its blood as the mother has

N.B. I'm in no way condining breast-feeding mothers' drinking - just correcting some slightly-off science.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Let's say she IS guilty of take CERA (as I think we all agree she is). Does anyone think it possible that she is actually LYING about breast feeding the kid while taking it? To aid in her defence/perception of innocence!?

If she's lie about taking it in the first place - maybe she's lying about the breast feeding to make herself look innocent.

Anyone got any pics of her breast feeding? 8)
  • DaveyL
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I suppose we have to wait for the final hearings but I'm pencilling in another line in the "desperate excuse" manual of busted dopers.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    DaveyL wrote:

Beat me to it.

Corker!
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Good one that, if no-one else had posted that I would have been forced to.

Cringe reading, but very funny.
  • DaveyL
    iainf72 wrote:
    DaveyL wrote:

Beat me to it.

Corker!

Jeez, how did I manage that?

I can retire now, a happy man :D
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    DaveyL wrote:

ha,ha! but it won't make any difference, 'cos the daily mail aren't interested in cycling....
  • Kléber wrote:
    I suppose we have to wait for the final hearings but I'm pencilling in another line in the "desperate excuse" manual of busted dopers.

Well, it will keep us entertained until the season starts at least.
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Ha! Thought that would get a few people stoked up!

I think someone mentioned burning witches and I agree that we get too nuts over stuff like this. There's probably a crazy Heroin breast feeding mother within a mile of all our homes and do we offer to help them? Are we there to ask whether they need a friend or do we give them dirty looks and call them scum.
    I know a guy who gets a little mentally unstable and walks past my house often. He stops and has a chat and when in distress, I make him a cup of Tea and chat about his problems.
    My neighbour vilifies this poor man and calls him "Tax scrounging scum" and when this man passes by; my neighbour shouts "how much it costs for an Ambulance to get sent out to cart you off to the looney bin!" Whenever my neighbour seems to shout these abuses; the Ambulance arrives, a little while later, picking up a distressed man from his home blbbering about being picked on.

This is why I try not to vilify people. It is a cruel, senseless act and is usually counter productive. I think it is often the case that being calm and sussing out what the real problems are.
    This is why I have to shrug my shoulders and wonder what the Riccos were thinking and hoping that the Italian Social Services will put them right.

Mr and Mrs Ricco have obviously got things very wrong and these issues need to be addressed but the only real hope is that the Italian Social Services will remedy. There is nothing else to do.
    It is between the Social Services and the Riccos and not us.

Someone did mention about me suggesting doing something positive and getting kids started in to Cycling and then the kids ending up in the drug infested waters of the Pro Peleton. I knew a man who Coached kids cycling. He was the first to Coach a certain Nicole Cook and looked at what happened to her. :wink:

-Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil