Peak District - The A6 Road

Bhima
Bhima Posts: 2,145
edited February 2010 in Tour & expedition
I regularly use the A6 to get in/out of Manchester but, by the time you hit Furness Vale, the stretch between there and Chapel en le Frith is, basically, a motorway. Did that stretch with a group of riders on Saturday, so we were very visible, but I wouldn't like to do it by myself. :shock:

The question is - what is the road like between Buxton and Bakewell and between Dove Holes and Buxton? Which parts of the A6 are actually safely ridable?

I've been looking at the satellite images on Google Maps but it's impossible to tell what a road is like simply by looking at those. From what I can gather, the above mentioned stretches look ok, similar to other mountain roads, such as Long Hill, Snake Pass, etc... Can't be too sure though!

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I've never cycled along it, but I cross it often at Taddington. It always looks busy, but not super-busy. I'd never choose that road to get from Buxton to Bakewell though when there're minor roads that only add about 2km in distance and would be infinitely more enjoyable.

Why are you using the main roads in the Peaks instead of the nice quiet lanes? :?
    More problems but still living....
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    amaferanga wrote:
    I've never cycled along it, but I cross it often at Taddington. It always looks busy, but not super-busy. I'd never choose that road to get from Buxton to Bakewell though when there're minor roads that only add about 2km in distance and would be infinitely more enjoyable.

Why are you using the main roads in the Peaks instead of the nice quiet lanes? :?

Because at the moment, Bhima goes off average speed and you get a lot of help from the wagons on the main roads ;)
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    amaferanga wrote:

The long mountain roads tend to be longer climbs which aren't too steep and quiet lanes usually consist of steeper climbs, followed by steep descents and are more rolling/irregular. I was thinking this could be the case with the A6 from Buxton to Bakewell. I like longer climbs where you can get into a good rhythm and am always on the lookout for new routes/roads.
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    you can ride the whole way from buxton to derby along the A6 if you want. Some of it over the tops to bakewell is rather unpleasant due the high speed of the motor traffic, so i don't know anyone who would enjoy it. I use it only to link up bits of minor road routes.

None of it is as bad as the whaley bridge to beyond chapel bit

Be well lit and wear hi-vis.

Bakewell to derby on A6 is much more tolerable .
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Driven along the A6 from Buxton towards Bakewell many times. It's a fast, busy road and the first few miles are narrow and twisty. Wouldn't like to cycle it. The stretch from Buxton to Chapel is OK though.
  • Have cycled all of the A6 around Buxton (where I live) many times. Aside from the motorway bit you were talking about, it's all fine. The stretch between Buxton and Bakewell is busy, but fine, too. Just make sure you're far enough out in the road to be seen.