internal workings of the STI lever!

Bonno
Bonno Posts: 69
edited February 2010 in Workshop
I recently re-introduced my old 8 spd STI's to my spare bike. They had not seen action for a few years due to the right lever 'missing' a shift here and there. Set it all up again, new cables etc. but problem still exists. Will change up to bigger sprockets ok but shifting down on the smaller lever is very hit and miss and very annoying when out on the road. Just seems to be no pressure on the lever when it happens, just have to keep trying flicking the lever and eventually it shifts.
Anyone any ideas as to if it's repairable or is it RIP

Comments

• Swiss watch inside :shock: . Will be the release pawl not catching / releasing when required. If you`re feeling brave, try to remove the top cover (not sure what STI`s you`ve got but there is sometimes access to the top end) and drench it in WD40 or similar, probably gunked up with old grease, they come with some thick white stuff on from the factory. One of mine was doing something similar, and it turned out to be a broken pawl inside, which was unrepairable / unobtainable.
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • Bonno
    That's a bit of luck, bought a family size tin of WD40 yesterday! I'll get it out and give it a good going over!
    Wasn't sure if flooding it would mess things up inside, but it's worth a go i guess!
    Cheers :wink:
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Inside of an STI = workings of the devil!
    Needlessly over-complicated and sod-all you can do them wihen they go wrong except soak in WD40/GT85 and pray!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Bonno
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Inside of an STI = workings of the devil!
    Needlessly over-complicated and sod-all you can do them wihen they go wrong except soak in WD40/GT85 and pray!

Does that mean i should be praying to the devil ? :lol:
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    I know no man other than Mr Shimano who can strip and put these back together.
    It could be the ultimate xmas pressie for the diserning bike fan, an Ultegra shifter puzzle, build it and use it.
    Good luck and I hope WD works
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    They are repairable, but...
    a) you'd probably break some whilst leaning how
    b) Once you know how, it probably takes long enough that at bike shop labour rates it's as cheap to buy a new one
    c) there are no spare parts available
    I certainly wouldn't try it if I was relying on being able to use the shifter again.

Try here for inspiration
    http://www.norvil.net/pedal/service/shi ... /index.php
  • rrsodl
    rrsodl Posts: 486
    10 speed ultra shift campy shifters pull the same amount of cable than a 8 speed shimano shifter and they are repairable!!!! I bought a pair of shimano shifters and one failed right away, it was then I learnt that when they fail you just have to bin them. Got a refund and bought campagnolo shifters. I would never buy shimano shifters again.