Just because it's sunny doesn't mean its warm

Jonny_road
Jonny_road Posts: 68
edited January 2010 in Road beginners
Woke up this morning to a sunny day and thought great I can finally go outside on the bike without the risk of ice... managed a 10 minute loop. Blue knees, saw face and worst off all couldn't feel my hands. Struggled to unlock the door when I got back.

Time to invest in gloves and leg warmers.

That 10 minutes on the bike was amazing though.

Comments

• sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    You wanna see the weather here! It's been snowing overnight.
    No ride for me today!
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    The past 4/5 days here have been awesome! Done 16 hours of pure suffering in the past 3 days. 8)
  • sturmey
    It was pigging freezing though yesterday south manchester. only hard men were out!
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    sturmey wrote:
    No ride for me today!

+1

Got up early to meet friends for a short 20-30 miler. Then seen the snow!

1hr turbo sweat instead! :D
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    It was a perfect winter cycling day in the Peaks yesterday. Cold, but sunny. Doesn't get much better for January.

It is winter though so you obviously need warm clothes.

Not sure what to make of someone heading out in shorts expecting it to be warm just because its sunny :?
    More problems but still living....
  • Not sure what to make of someone heading out in shorts expecting it to be warm just because its sunny

Was out last week in shorts and no gloves, it was fine. Bit more of a wind chill today.
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    amaferanga wrote:
    It was a perfect winter cycling day in the Peaks yesterday. Cold, but sunny. Doesn't get much better for January.
    +1

It's better in the peaks when it's cold as you don't overheat as much.

I did the Snake pass going up towards Glossop and it was picturesque! Wish i'd took a camera out - you could easily blag some shots as "summer", for sure.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    sturmey wrote:
    No ride for me today!

+2 Icey as fcuk out there...
    Jonny_road wrote:
    Time to invest in gloves and leg warmers.

You are sh1tting me! :shock: ....
    You actually went out today in shorts! :shock:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    One look out the window told me that it's too icy; so I got on the turbo trainer, only to get a flat 20 minutes into a 90 minute workout.

There are some days when it's just not meant to be.

Pedro
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Trainer for me later, MrsNapD is working...
  • I went out for a 40 mile cycle at 8 pm on friday night, it was a nice cycle, but the coldest thing ever, temperature of -2, and wind chill of -12!! I was just wearing shorts, a base layer, and some awful gloves! My fingers weren't so bad, it was my toes that were the worst because of the air vents in my shoes!! Good fun though!! But if I do it again, then I will wear more clothes next time!!
  • hopper1
    :roll:
  • hopper1
    I did an hour with Mr. Carmicheal - Hillclimbing Intervals...
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    I went out for a 40 mile cycle at 8 pm on friday night, it was a nice cycle, but the coldest thing ever, temperature of -2, and wind chill of -12!! I was just wearing shorts, a base layer, and some awful gloves! My fingers weren't so bad, it was my toes that were the worst because of the air vents in my shoes!! Good fun though!! But if I do it again, then I will wear more clothes next time!!

are you for real..?
  • LazyBoycp
    LazyBoycp Posts: 320
    sturmey wrote:
    It was pigging freezing though yesterday south manchester. only hard men were out!

Must mean I'm a hard man - woo! :D Mind you, I was wearing super roubaix shorts, ditto legwarmers, thick bib tights, 2 pairs of socks, overshoes, etc, and I was still frozen.
  • softlad wrote:
    I went out for a 40 mile cycle at 8 pm on friday night, it was a nice cycle, but the coldest thing ever, temperature of -2, and wind chill of -12!! I was just wearing shorts, a base layer, and some awful gloves! My fingers weren't so bad, it was my toes that were the worst because of the air vents in my shoes!! Good fun though!! But if I do it again, then I will wear more clothes next time!!

are you for real..?

Yep, I had just got some Assos F1.13 bib shorts, and I wanted to try them out, so I didn't want to wear any other legware because I wanted to know how comfortable they were, which was probably a mistake, my legs were bright red afterwards. :(
  • cw42
    cw42 Posts: 205
    went out on friday afternoon thinking it was warmer than it was. Just wore a base layer and crane cycle top, which was a bit chilly, but my legs were ok with the gore tights I'd bought in the sale earlier this month.
    Ended up going along Whaley Old Road, and it was snowing at one point! Pretty chilly.
    Been off road this afternoon, and at 4pm the temperature noticeably got colder.
    Wrap up warm out there guys and gals :)`
    live long, eat biscuit
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    I don't understand. :oops: How does wearing knee or leg warmers stop you from gauging how comfortable a pair of shorts are. I know they're stretchy but i'd never thought of pulling them up as far as my crotch :lol:

Haven't been out since the end of September without knee warmers and won't be till probably April.

It makes me cringe (and I'm a fairly youthful 27) when I see these runners out in vests and/or t-shirts and well above the knee shorts in the snow. Nutters.
  • Lagavulin wrote:
    It makes me cringe (and I'm a fairly youthful 27) when I see these runners out in vests and/or t-shirts and well above the knee shorts in the snow. Nutters.

Running's not as bad as cycling for cold legs though; less wind chill and you're using them all the time (no freewheeling). I went running on the hills around Edale yesterday in tights and wished I had my shorts on instead - but it has to be a good 15 degrees before I'll go out cycling for any length of time in shorts, and I wouldn't dream of it at the moment!
  • speshy
    speshy Posts: 42
    well i went out at 07:30 today...

minus 6 and bloody freezing, but it was well worth it :shock:
    =================================================
    2009 specialized allez elite
    kona caldera
  • macondo
    macondo Posts: 10
    Good effort speshy 7.30 start in the cold!!

Managed 31 miles yesterday - out to Alderley Edge, in Cheshire. It was cold but sunny :D Ice nearly had me again as I used my front brake before a corner. My poor heart! The shower at home was so good.

Today did seven miles with my 6 year old boy on the Middlewood Way. His first big cycle. Proud dad :D
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    I can top that with my usual 6.30am start here :D

-4 at the start but I had 2 layers on and a buff so felt very warm. Only part that gets cold are my feet (even with 3 layers). My riding buddy had 6 layers on and still complained!!!!!!

3 glorious hours of riding, and I even had my shades handy for when the sun rose brightly.
    Still breathing.....
  • sturmey
    I can only assume those crazy guys who go out in shorts are actually on very short rides (an hour or less).
    I can't see that anyone would do any decent mileage in this weather in just shorts.
    My thigh muscles would cease to function after a very short period in the icy blast.
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    Was out on Thursday and Saturday, did a 30 miler and was warm all the way. It was sunny, around 0deg and quite windy but had Altura winter bib longs on, merino base layer with long sleeve jersey, very light altura windstopper jacket, gloves overshoes and skull cap. Thats just the second and third rides for this year so I was glad to be out.

Great time and when going up one hill I was accompanied by a sheep running along the single track road beside me :shock: for about 200 yards before it ran into a field. Couldn't stop giggling away to myself for ages :lol:
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • othello
    othello Posts: 578
    I left it a bit later in the day compared to you hardcore people (on child care duty until 12). Still chilly though and there is no way I would venture out in shorts at the moment! I had bib tights, merino baselayer, longsleeve endura top and a Gore windstopper, skull cap, merino socks, overshoes and gloves. Nice and warm!

I did have one of *those* days though. 5mins from home and I got a loose saddle rail bolt. Had left the allen keys at home. Turned around and went back. Fixed it and went out again. 25 mins down the road got a puncture.

Typical!
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com
  • DubaiNeil
    DubaiNeil Posts: 246
    I had a lovely 80km ride on Saturday morning. Wearing bib shorts, S/S jersey and fingerless gloves. Was pretty cold in the shade, but warmed up nicely in the sun.

it was 24 C in the shade though :):):):):):)