Colnago Primavera or Cinelli Xperience

msq171
msq171 Posts: 5
edited February 2010 in Road buying advice
Hi Guys,

So my bike was stolen and now am looking for a cheap frame to build up for the interim whilst I save.

It seems to be down to the Primavera (Wiggle) or Xperience (PBK)

They are at a similar pricepoint as the Xperience includes handlebars, stem, headset, seatpost etc... Whilst the Primavera doesn't

There doesn't seem to be much between them for mine.

So I am looking for any opinions or better still first hand experience to sway me towards one or the other.

Also a sizing question it looks like I will be a L in the Xperience and a 52cm on the Primavera, previously a 56cm on CAAD9 and CR1

Any help is greatly appeciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Have you seen the price of the Primavera at Wiggle? :shock:

No brainer.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Colnago - I don't need a new bike, but seriously tempted at £280
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964

Please buy one.

Otherwise I will. And I probably need one even less than you.
  • Slow Downcp
    sturmey wrote:

Please buy one.

Otherwise I will. And I probably need one even less than you.

I asked my wife to hide my credit card last night - when I told her why, her response was "order it now, you'd be mad not to".

I really don't need it - and having compared my previous Alu bikes with current carbon and Ti bikes, I'm not sure I'd want an Alu bike again.

BUT, it's a Colnago.

I just want them to sell all the 52cm soon......
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    The thing is I have most of the bits already to build this into a new bike- incl new Ultegra sti shifters,new wheels and brakes,chainset. Plus my garage has 5 bikes including one motorbike and a turbo already.
    I will feel guilty if I buy another bike.
    Won't I?

Except it's only a frame. So it wouldn't really count...

Slowdowncp- if you buy one, I will too.

I am a 54cm by the way so i will not steal the last one from you!
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Well if you are going to do it do it quickly as the numbers are dropping for some of the sizes. I've not helped as 2 have gone on my card!
  • Slow Downcp
    nochekmate wrote:
    Well if you are going to do it do it quickly as the numbers are dropping for some of the sizes. I've not helped as 2 have gone on my card!

Still 10+ in my size, but the urge has passed now that my head has shouted louder than my heart.
  • Anonymous
    nochekmate wrote:

Still 10+ in my size, but the urge has passed now that my head has shouted louder than my heart.

Same here...
  • Slow Downcp
    djbarren wrote:
    just checked all gone

Still 10+ showing on Wiggle?
  • I see 5 sizes available...damn I am tempted but just bought a new kitchen....damn you priorities!!! :evil:
  • Dont need one at all, but I reckon the 52 is just the right size for me and at that price its so tempting.... :twisted:
  • Anonymous
    Doh!

Definitely won't be getting one. My CD Player has stopped working and the minimum it'll cost to repair is £400! :x
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    Have been contemplating a new frame for training on over the past few weeks. This has made up my mind and I'm now awaiting delivery of another Colnago.
    8)
  • Slow Downcp
    Just spoke to my wife - she's pretty much ordered me to get one as an early birthday present. :shock:

Still can't bring myself to click the add to basket button.
  • nochekmate
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Doh!

Definitely won't be getting one. My CD Player has stopped working and the minimum it'll cost to repair is £400! :x

Serves you right for having too many expensive items at Nap headquarters!
  • Anonymous
    nochekmate wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Doh!

Serves you right for having too many expensive items at Nap headquarters!

For working hard to buy nice things?
  • Slow Downcp
    Did some searching at lunchtime - not sure it's the bargain that it first appears. A built up Primavera with Tiagra can be had for £850, or around a grand for 105.

Quickly added up expected build cost using Veloce and other internet bargains, and cost would come out at around the same as the 105 build.
  • ^^^^^

Being able to build up a bike to one's exact specifiction usually carries a hefty premium. Therefore, to be able to put together a build at a price comparable with "off the peg" represents a bargain.
  • Slow Downcp
    ^^^^^

Being able to build up a bike to one's exact specifiction usually carries a hefty premium. Therefore, to be able to put together a build at a price comparable with "off the peg" represents a bargain.

Never really agreed with that - last two bikes have been built to spec and both came in cheaper than the off the peg option.
  • A high spec/cost build is way cheaper being built to an individual spec, rather than off the peg especially with all the sales recently. I have just built a BMC and saved a fortune:

Pro Machine frame £1240 rrp £2400
    DA Groupset £999 rrp £1600
    DA 7850 50mm wheels £807 rrp £1100
    Cable set £14 rrp £30+
    Conti Atttack/Force tyres £45 rrp £75
    Selle Italia Flite Gel Flow LTD Edition Saddle £45 rrp £90+
    Keo Max 2 pedals £65 rrp £85+
    Conti Race 28 Light tubes £11 rrp £16+
    EC90 SLX Handlebars £90 rrp £180
    EA90 stem £40 rrp £70
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • nochekmate
    Flanners1 wrote:
    A high spec/cost build is way cheaper being built to an individual spec, rather than off the peg especially with all the sales recently. I have just built a BMC and saved a fortune:
    Pro Machine frame £1240 rrp £2400
    DA Groupset £999 rrp £1600
    DA 7850 50mm wheels £807 rrp £1100
    Cable set £14 rrp £30+
    Conti Atttack/Force tyres £45 rrp £75
    Selle Italia Flite Gel Flow LTD Edition Saddle £45 rrp £90+
    Keo Max 2 pedals £65 rrp £85+
    Conti Race 28 Light tubes £11 rrp £16+
    EC90 SLX Handlebars £90 rrp £180
    EA90 stem £40 rrp £70

Don't be taken in by the RRP rubbish - sheer marketing ploy. So many of the suppliers are selling for less than supposed RRP. I don't know about saved a fortune, you've spent a fortune! Nice bike though and it's your money to spend.
  • crimsondynamo
    crimsondynamo Posts: 246
    edited February 2010
    http://www.awcycles.co.uk/brands/BMC/Pro%20Machine%20SLC01%20Record,%202008/13618/index.aspx

"Off the peg" is £2,700 vs £3,350 for your build. Of course you prefer DA to Record amongst other things, but you see what I'm driving at.

EDIT: @Flanners, I think we're singing off the same hymn sheet here. If you have a very firm idea of what you want then self-building is the cheapest option. Otherwise, you'll just buy off the peg and spend a fortune modifying it to your own preference. However, if you don't have a firm idea of what you want, then "off the peg" is most often cheaper (economies of scale and all that, shops/distributors can assemble a bike far cheaper than we can). That's why I'm not disheartened by the chat that a Tiagra built Primavera can be snapped up for £850. I have zero interest in Tiagra on this frame (even though I'm happy with Tiagra on my winter bike).
  • nochekmate
    My BMC Pro Machine was built up for around £1900, which did represent good value (in my eyes at least).

Frame was bought for £900 and was new (a warranty replacement) and included Easton carbon seatpost and stem at that price - see Your Road Bike thread for full spec. Campag Eurus wheels were new at £450 and I got a 2nd hand Chorus groupset for £300. Pleased with the build for that price but accept that I do not have the comeback with the LBS should anything go wrong - a £1K saving probably compensates for that to some extent.

Re: Colnago frameset, if I make it up with full SRAM Rival 2010 groupset that I've bought for £320 and Aksium/Fulcrum 7 wheelset that are available for not much over £100 at Merlin, it will be coming in at well under the 1K budget for me!
  • Yes ok but it's a 2008 colour scheme in red, not white which I wanted and I prefer the 2009 decals, which was important to me; also my DA7900 came off a new PX SL Pro build on a C2W I have. I have spent a shade under £2700 with the 50mm DA wheels.

Yes there are deals about and I have to say that off the peg BMC is probably the best spec I have seen that I would not change apart from the wheels. I like campag, have it on my Viner and Colnago.

Just read your edit and we are mate I agree, too many times I have blinged up my off the peg bike and spent more doing so sometimes.
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • othello
    othello Posts: 578
    I've got an Cinelli Xperience and it is a cracking bike
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com