New bike not arrived after 3 months! Next steps?

Pretre
Pretre Posts: 355
edited February 2010 in Road buying advice
I ordered a white De Rosa Merak on 5th November at my LBS & was told it would be "about 4 weeks", which I was fine with as I couldn't ride it for a while due to an injury & winter was coming on. The issue is that it's now been almost 12 weeks & every time I ask for an ETA I don't get a good answer. :evil:
My question is - a) do I cancel my order?
b) speak to them in person & make it really clear that I'm thinking of cancelling, although I'm not sure what difference this would make if it's a De Rosa issue (which I have a feeling it is)?
c) give them more time?

Thanks for your thoughts

Comments

• Pretre
    Very tempting!
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    as it's your 'LBS', I'm suprised you haven't spoken to them in person already. Ask them for a definitive delivery date and a reply within 24hrs and if none is forthcoming - cancel the order.
  • Pretre
    I have spoken to them in person a number of times. I
    've sent them a mail expressing my displeasure & giving them until Thursday (the 12 week anniversary of my order) to give me a definitive date & then I'll cancel.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Have you paid for it? Deposit? If not - just cancel. If you have paid - make sure they will refund all your money - and perhaps get in touch with De Rosa directly to find out WTF is going on.

It;s possible that DeRosa is having some production issues and it's nothing to do with your LBS. Or find out the UK distributor, etc.
  • all show no go
    all show no go Posts: 542
    edited January 2010
    Jim Walker & Company are the UK distributors. You should call them for info. If your LBS is either Geoffrey Butlers in Croydon or De Ver Cycles in Streatham, I would be surprised if it's them being tw@ts. More likely a production/delay issue.

i-ride.co.uk

The only phone number I could find is their b2b number, but at least they should be able to help and it'll be quicker than using email....

01323 445150
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,872
    way too long to wait without info, imagine what it will be like "if" it turns up & you have a problem with it!
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    Your a patient man.
    I find it hard waiting for a week let alone 3 months.
    I would go and speak with them and demand a proper explanation of what is going on.Personally I find them rude and unprofessional in not having done this already.
    If you have paid up front think of the interest you could have earnt if it was in your bank.Tell them this and ask for a discount or some freebies.
    If your spending this much they are probably expecting return buisness which I wouldn't give to them after this balls up.
    Like the post above says what if something goes wrong!!
  • nicensleazy
    nicensleazy Posts: 2,310
    Cancel the order and go somewhere else who will value your custom. Also, give the De Rosa UK agent a call - Jim Walker on 01323-445150
  • Thats the problem with high end italian manufactures. Their usual policy is dont call us , we will call you.
    Get in touch with Jim Walkers , usually a good bunch of guys to deal with , ask for a no nonsence straight answer on delivery times from them. Your LBS should of had this issue sorted out by now.
  • AndyD2574
    AndyD2574 Posts: 1,034
    If he is your LBS then he should be keeping you totally up to date!

I would give him 1 last chance then cancel and go somewhere else?
    Specialized S Works Venge
    Argon18 E114
    Specialized Langster Single Speed
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
    http://www.glasgowgreencycleclub.co.uk
  • cancel and buy something else,
    could be months away

who is LBS?
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    This thread has just made me depressed. Ordered new Cannondale on Friday with no idea of delivery time, it'll take as long as it takes! LBS is good though so fingers crossed. 12 weeks would drive me insane! Good luck
  • Cancel the order and go somewhere else who will value your custom. Also, give the De Rosa UK agent a call - Jim Walker on 01323-445150

Sometimes things just dont come fast enough for people, things can happen and production can be delayed etc. There is not much a shop can do... if the bike does not exist then it does not exist.

Usually - it is most sensible to leave it on order. If you cancel then you go to the back of the waiting list with a new dealer. i.e. FIFO - orders are fulfilled in date order. He could end up waiting even longer by changing dealer.

The current dealer probably does value the custom but if De Rosa does not have a bike then no amount of pressure on the dealer will change anything,

Make sense? This is in no way meant to sound patronising btw - just trying to offer another perspective.
  • rokkala
    rokkala Posts: 649
    Wappygixer wrote:
    Your a patient man.
    I find it hard waiting for a week let alone 3 months.
    I would go and speak with them and demand a proper explanation of what is going on.Personally I find them rude and unprofessional in not having done this already.
    If you have paid up front think of the interest you could have earnt if it was in your bank.Tell them this and ask for a discount or some freebies.
    If your spending this much they are probably expecting return buisness which I wouldn't give to them after this balls up.
    Like the post above says what if something goes wrong!!

Maybe a couple of sets of bar end plugs will cover what he would have got in interest ^^
  • Yep the banks aren't that great a place to leave money at the moment! :lol:
  • nicensleazy
    nicensleazy Posts: 2,310
    2010 De Rosa bikes should be on stream now. my mate picks up his King RS next week
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You're talking a small-scale Italian manufacturer and probably as much to do with Jim Walker's ability to place a forward order - 12 weeks is not unusual - I've waited 20 weeks for a frame from Italy. It's still January and why you'd want to ride it before April. Scratch your order and order a cookie-cutter Specialized, Giant, Cannondale or Trek - but everyone else one has too.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • i dont mind waiting for 3 months for a bike that i really want
    my gripe is that if a bike shop gives an estimate of 4 weeks for delivery and the bike is still not available after 3 months then i would be really annoyed
    the shop should give an accurate estimate and keep the customer informed of delivery times if unforseeable delays occur.
    i ordered a new car last year, went to a dealer which were fantastic but informed me that the car i wanted with the spec i want would take 3 months to arrive, tried a few other dealers around the country and pretty much the same story but one dealer promised me the car in a month and so i orderd one with them ( i asked why they can get one so quick and they told me they were one of the largest dealers in the country so were in a better position than others in obtaining the car i want)
    the car took just over 3 months to arrive - the customer service was poor.
    i feel lied to, they deliberately lied to get the business. if they had quoted me 3 months then i would be very happy waiting for it.
    will never use that dealer again and will not use them for servicing my car.
    the car is fantastic, exactly what i want but feel the dealer i bought from had bad customer service
  • tigerben
    tigerben Posts: 233
    It could be worse.... I ordered my bike on 10 Oct and was quoted 45 days.... and I am still waiting.. it is apparantly due mid Feb. Problem is wholly with the manafacturer (bike was only sprayed last week!) and not my LBS (who have been as helpful as possible).

My real gripe is that when i placed the order the manafacturer must have known they were having serious delays/ fulfillment issues - yet they never communicated this to me or my LBS until the delay hit the 60 day mark.

Either they deliberatly withheld the information or they are a bunch of amateurs who cannot schedule their workflow (which woudl be surprising given that they are allegedly either the worlds biggest or second biggest bike manafacturer!)
  • Pretre
    Tigerben - I totally agree, the manufacturers are taking the mick as they have to know there's delays
  • You could have had a new custom in that space of time.

I am just about to get my new Carl Strong travel bike. I ordered it in mid-November.

I cannot fathom waiting that long for an off the rack.
  • Pretre
    I've had an e-mail from Paul Butler, the sales director at Jim Walker, apologising for the delay & saying he's contacted De Rosa to find out what's going on so at least there is some progress..
  • tlw1
    Pretre wrote:
    I've had an e-mail from Paul Butler, the sales director at Jim Walker, apologising for the delay & saying he's contacted De Rosa to find out what's going on so at least there is some progress..

So does this mean nobody has contacted De Rosa yet?
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    These "unacceptable" delays of a few weeks and even months are making me smile. I ordered my 'proper' bike at the beginning of September 07 and ddin't take delivery until May 08!!

I worked out that I could have ridden it back from the factory in Taiwan more quickly!
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Wappygixer wrote:
    If you have paid up front think of the interest you could have earnt if it was in your bank...../quote]

As an example, if the bike was £3k, 2% interest would be £60 for a year, so we're talking £15.

I'd want freebies/discount anyway.....
  • tigerben
    tigerben Posts: 233
    freebies/ discounts are to compensate for the inconvenience rather than lost interest (although question the sanity of anybody who would pay 100% upfront).

The irritation is the misinformation at point of purchase. If I knew i was facing a 100 day delivery time at point of purchase I could have made an informed decision and opted for a different colour bike that would have only taken 30 days or maybe even gone to my less favoured LBS for a different bike. (in my instance the frustratingly dumb thing that the delay apears solely due to the colour of the bike!).

my lost interest costs are minimal but my frustration at the lack of riding / lack of information is high.

All will be forgotten when it finally arrives.
  • Pretre
    Got a mail on Friday, forwarded on to me from Cristiano at De Rosa, stating that they've almost finished the frame & are about to paint it so I should have it by 2nd week of March! :D
    Good things come to those who wait months on end...
  • oh goody only 16 weeks :lol:
    i am shocked at how slow these guys work
    you can order a fully custom bespoke one off frame from the likes of litespeed or eddy merckx and get it custom painted to your requirements (including custom paint and decals which are one offs which may have the owners name painted on it) in around 6 weeks- that include shipping to the customer.
    i've seen exotic frames built from scratch, pretty fast turnaround so dont understand why your frame is "almost finished". once they start building it should be finished really quickly.
    still, i,m sure you'll love it when it finally arrives
  • tlw1
    Pretre wrote:
    Got a mail on Friday, forwarded on to me from Cristiano at De Rosa, stating that they've almost finished the frame & are about to paint it so I should have it by 2nd week of March! :D
    Good things come to those who wait months on end...

good news 8)