Chain jumping no casette when pedalling

grantstats
grantstats Posts: 43
edited February 2010 in Workshop
Good Evening everyone,

Hopefully you can advise, my chain is jumping on my casette when I am pedalling. Normally when applying more power than just an average cadence. It is not specifically changing onto a different cog, but 'bouncing' up and down?

Any suggestions how or what to do appreciated.

Cheers
FCN 4

Comments

• Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    Could be that your cable tension is slightly off.

Try a quarter turn anticlockwise (looking from the rear of the bike) on the knurled nut on your rear mech. This should tighten up any slack caused by stretch in the cable which is the most likely cause.

If it still does it but to a lesser extent then turn it a bit more.
    If it gets worse turn the nut back to where it was and then another quarter turn.
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • thanks Mike will give it a go and let you know how it works out.
    FCN 4
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Have you replaced your chain or any other component ?
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • Grantstats wrote:
    Good Evening everyone,

Hopefully you can advise, my chain is jumping on my casette when I am pedalling. Normally when applying more power than just an average cadence. It is not specifically changing onto a different cog, but 'bouncing' up and down?

Any suggestions how or what to do appreciated.

Cheers

Are your chain, cassette and chain ring too old? If so, you should replace them. If you are using an old chain on new cassette and chain ring, the chain won't fit and as you said, it is skipping. Replace the chain and double check the cassette and chain ring are still good to go.

bikeforever
  • May be a stiff chain link. Lift rear off ground and turn the pedals backwards while eyeing the cassette. On the small cogs the chain will jump if there is a stiff link.