Colnago Primavara

k2rider
k2rider Posts: 575
edited March 2010 in Road buying advice
Wiggle are currently selling this as frame and fork for £280, im seriously seriously tempted but does anyone have any experiences of this frame and fork?
who cares?

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Bargain for £280, I would have stretched my finances if they'd had a smaller one.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    No brainer!

I'm tempted to get one (they have my size in both colours) and I have no need for it whatsoever!!

Could be my first Campagnolo bike, with some Deda finishing kit and some Ambrosio Nemesis Tubs it would be a sweet racing bike!
  • sward29
    sward29 Posts: 205
    I had one until recently and would recommend on unless comfort is high on your list of priorities. It it stiff and responsive and handles really well as you'd expect a Colnago to do. The reason I sold it was that I found it a bit too harsh compared to my other bikes which are carbon. I also found the same thing with my old Colnago Dream so it may be that I just don't like the ride of aluminium bikes, although the Primavera is harsher because of the oversized alu seatpost (something I would have changed had I not picked up a Colnago CLX frame for the price I got for my Primavera)

Having said all of that, £280 is a steal and you'll probably get your money back if you find that you don't like it. I had the anodised black finish from 2006 and I sold the frame for £350 on Ebay in autumn last year so there is always a decent market for Colnagos.
  • Anonymous
    I'm getting more and more tempted to make this a Crit racing project bike. Buy all the Campag bits one by one as cheap as poss of th'ebay...
  • flanners1
    flanners1 Posts: 916
    k2rider wrote:
    Wiggle are currently selling this as frame and fork for £280, im seriously seriously tempted but does anyone have any experiences of this frame and fork?

Plenty of reviews on the net, handles well with a slight weight penalty, I am tempted too......
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Must ask wife to hide my credit card :oops:
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Chaps,

Is this the same bike as the Colnago "Prima" as described on their official website?

I need to determine the sizing/geometry of the thing.

Cheers.
  • Anonymous
    Chaps,

Is this the same bike as the Colnago "Prima" as described on their official website?

I need to determine the sizing/geometry of the thing.

Cheers.

The sizing/geometry is listed in glorious detail on the Wiggle site!
  • Sweet! Order placed.

Now what does this frame deserve? A full Veloce gruppo at £340 seems proportionate (and should bring in a full build at c.£1k), but does that do it justice?
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Well my credit card has just been used! - order placed and I've bought 2!! One to sell on following build project, which will help to pay for t'other. I'm ignoring the Italian feel and putting on new SRAM Rival at £320.
  • I'm ignoring the Italian feel and putting on new SRAM Rival at £320.

Heresy!
  • nochekmate
    Better than Veloce at that price me thinks.
  • Googles "Veloce vs Rival",...

...where did you find Rival for £320?
  • nochekmate
    Off the Bay - some chap had it on for £350 first bid and a Buy It Now for £390.

Bit of negotiating and £320 was the deal without fees! Pleased with that.
  • You should be. As much of a steal as the frame & forks.
  • nochekmate
    Yes now looking to 'steal' some wheels - any ideas anybody?
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I got the whole bike in 2007 as my first road bike, it`s really good fun to ride and not particularly uncomfortable at all with a spesh carbon seatpost. For wheels shimano ultegras are good and pretty cheap at the moment.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • k2rider
    hmm, great, went on to buy one today after getting paid and guess what? sold out! bugger! ill keep my mouth shut next time. so if anyone is reframing a 54/55cm bike with one of these let me know if your selling your old one :lol:
    who cares?
  • nochekmate
    If you'd been looking at the Wiggle website or indeed this forum, you would have seen that they were going to sell out.

Anyway on with the build!
  • k2rider
    last time i looked at the wiggle website they had 10 of my size and they had that number when i started this thread
    who cares?
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    You should have kept your mouth shut, methinks.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • nochekmate
    I think that he should have bought one first and then displayed it - nothing wrong with letting others know of a well priced item as long as you've sorted yourself out first!
  • Mine arrived, looks the business.

The only irritation is that the headtube is 2cm shorter than the geometry advertised, meaning unsightly additional spacers required. (6cm instead of 4cm).

Currently agonizing over what kit to put on it. Campy is bloody expensive, compounded by the additional cost compatable wheels (vs Shimano).
  • nochekmate
    Well I've just bought a Campag Chorus carbon groupset with Record skeleton brakeset (all 2nd hand but good condition obviously) and unused Mavic Open Pro wheelset with Campag hubs for £475, so my dilemma is do I go

a) Campag Chorus/ Mavic Open Pros
    b) Ultegra 6600 with Dura-Ace shifters/Fulcrum 7s
    or
    c) SRAM Rival/Fulcrum 7s

Either way I'm spent out at the moment and time to get some money back getting rid of other stuff!
  • Anonymous
    nochekmate wrote:
    Well I've just bought a Campag Chorus carbon groupset with Record skeleton brakeset (all 2nd hand but good condition obviously) and unused Mavic Open Pro wheelset with Campag hubs for £475, so my dilemma is do I go

a) Campag Chorus/ Mavic Open Pros
    b) Ultegra 6600 with Dura-Ace shifters/Fulcrum 7s
    or
    c) SRAM Rival/Fulcrum 7s

Either way I'm spent out at the moment and time to get some money back getting rid of other stuff!

Option a...
  • I bought a Primavera with 105 and Aksiums for about 700 pound sterling equivalent in local money. Installed an Ultegra 6700 and a pair of Fulcrum Zeroes I had lying around.

Nice bike, stiff, responsive. Looking for a Colnago carbon seatpost now to take some of the sting out of the feel. Makes a very good training bike.
  • To all who bought one, get yer snaps up on the Your Bike forum. I'm keen to see what she looks like in different clothes.