Easton EA50/EA50SL Wheelset

shed-dweller
shed-dweller Posts: 123
edited February 2010 in Road buying advice
I'm considering buying a set of EA50 SL wheels, as they look good, are the right price point for me, and got a rare score of 10 in C+ last year.

However, when searching on the internet, I've seen a set called EA50 (no SL), for about £20 less. Does anyone know what the difference is?

Also, I've seen reviews where people have said the freehub body gets worn very quickly, but how much of a problem will this be for a 55kg rider (if that makes a difference?) doing no more than 70 miles per week in good weather?

Thanks in advance :)

Mike

Comments

• Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    http://www.eastonbike.com/PRODUCTS/WHEE ... %2709.html

SL is about 40g lighter and uses DB spokes instead of "straight-guage". Same rims and hubs.
  • Just be aware that they are a little oversized so getting tyres on and off is very tricky. I have tried Schwalbe Durano Folding, Continental Gatorskins and Both Vittoria Rubinos and Zaffiros. The Rubinos seemed to be easiest to get on but not the best quality. I love mine and I am a heavy rider at 100kgs, 2000 miles and they are straight as an arrow. I have hit a few potholes and objects in the road and they are still true.

Love the wheels, strong and light, but hate changing the tyres. Can't complain for the price really they are like a set of £400-500 wheels
    Addicted to glucose tablets!
  • Another option Cadence/R500 wheelset. I like to look after my wheels myself so shimano hubs are a plus for me.