Mavic Open Pro Ceramics - Any Goo?

Stellite
Stellite Posts: 544
edited June 2010 in Road buying advice
Hi folks

Is it worth going the Open Pro ceramic route?

Ill be lacing them onto Dura Ace rims.

If not suggestions are welcome (already have the hubs).

Cheers

Paul

Comments

• They are very expensive and the only real advantage is that in theory they don't wear upon braking in the wet.
    That in theory, because if you pick up dirt from the road, that will be ceramic too... so they might get scratched anyway. Also, they will suffer pothole and impact damage the same way as the alu ones if not worse.
    There are also reports that in the wet they actually perform worse and not better than the metal ones.
    All in all, it seems to me they're not worth the extra money and I would rather go for the standard open pro and save the money.
    left the forum March 2023
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    There have been problems with Ceramic Open Pros recently - he ceramic coating has been pitting badly.

The guy who builds my wheels has said that the quality of Mavic rims have gone downhill - (they just seem to be putting their efforts into full wheelsets) - he now uses Ambrosio rims.

The Exellight's are supposed to be very good and very light http://www.ambrosio.co.uk/ambrosio_rims_clincher.htm
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • Stellite
    Thanks folks, you have confirmed what I was thinking.

Excellights it is then 8)
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I use them because:

a) the braking performance is better, wet and dry, and particularly on long alpine-type braking

b) they last longer than normal rims. My current wheels have been on the go for over three years with virtually no observable wear. My equivalent alloy-surfaced wheels which have done roughly the same mileage are now starting to look pretty worn.

so, yes, they are expensive but for me their value is still high. If I was going for another set of handbuilts I'd need a good reason to not go for them again. Obviously if they've gone downhill in some way then that could be a reason...
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    i have one for sale for cheap. Unused. :)
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I used to have some laced onto Suntour XCD (which dates me), very nice set of wheels lasted a good ten years of commuting on some horrible roads. I've got some regular OPs now and whilst the roads are different, the braking surface does seem to be wearing faster. Maybe they just made them better in the olden days.
  • Stellite
    Thanks guys

Ive got an old pair of Mavic MA40s on my old Quinn circa 1985 still going strong.

Ceramic rims on my downhill bike have been great, time to have a good think!
  • clazza
    clazza Posts: 626
    I have a pair from 6 years ago on my sportive / light tour bike -dont get used much but when on long tours, the ceramics are great. Much stronger braking and great for long descents as maddog2 says. In the wet, the water needs to come off first, after which they are better than regular rims.

I used these on a (wet) tour of the Colorado Rockies, with a BOB trailer, and they were superb
  • i had some for years. They stlll looked perfect after 1000s of miles. Breaking was a little better in th wet, but the main advantage for me was longevity.
  • As ex london courier i must say ceramics are the dogs. Used to go through 2 front rims a year no problem just from braking. Had ceramic pro's built onto cartridge bearing hubs & nearly 10 years later [retired about 5 yrs ago], & they are still the best value thing I probably ever invested in. No black shite from disintegrating brake blocks, best braking possible, maybe a little noisy, & when it's raining you really don't mind using your brakes as there's no awful scratching noise that equates rim wear which equals money.

Do get them built to last, my rear has downhill drive side & plaingauge offside, built by the best wheelbuilder known to me.

If you crash a lot don't invest. Do buy a nice pair of summer/racing wheels.

And most of all, you absolutely, definitely, have to use ceramic brake blocks. If you ever use rubber it does coat the ceramic, leading to squeal & slip, until you wear the rubber off. Ceramic coating works cos its harder, it needs a harder brake block which is why they bothered to make one. I really can't rate them enough.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I've got a pair. Had them for years. Still going strong and never a problem. Worked just fine
    for the long, long, downhills of the Colorado Bike Tour, and believe me I'm a chicken and they got used and used. I'm the quintessential "There are old riders and bold riders, but no old, bold riders".
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    A top bit of kit. All aluminium rims should be offered in a ceramic option imo. The difference in the wet is v.noticeable (esp. if you are trying to descend a wet mountain surrounded by riders using carbon-rims)
    M.Rushton
  • tonkin
    tonkin Posts: 67
    I would say don't bother with ceramic. They cost alot more. Use alot more brake blocks and when it starts to flake off, which it will, It will look crapper than ordinary alu wheels.

Forget about that CD finish too.