Ultegra SL to SRAM Force?

crimpshrine
crimpshrine Posts: 37
edited January 2010 in Road buying advice
I currently have Ulegra SL and was considering moving to Force. Mainly for the weight and 'feel' In feel I mean I have rather small hands and the Force hoods felt more confy in my hands which is one of Ultegras down falls IMO.

My ony slight worries are I have read the gear changes are not as sharp as SL... will I notice this much? And also the gear changing. I tend to use the hoods a lot and like the way you can flick the top of the lever on Shimano rather than reaching down to the paddle for all changes.. how do others find this?

For the weight saving and confort is it worth the money swapping over? I would sell the SL Group on ebay and it is in very good nick so it would probably cost around £350-400 as I would also be selling the brakes from Force as I have some CNC ones,

I know it is the great debate but I am not interested in any other options so hopefully I will not cause too much a stir!

Comments

• bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    I am becoming more convinced by the merits of SRAM after rebuilding my Santa Cruz Chameleon with SRAM XO and my 160mm travel bike with it also. I have a Pinarello FPS with Ultegra, but I would have no issues moving to SRAM on it. In fact, I am contemplating a RED set up some time in the future but thats another story.

I think urban myth is unkind to SRAM but it is starting to hold its own now. I saw a RED cassette in the flesh the other day and it is a real thing of beauty....!
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I have SRAM Force on the summer bike and Ultegra 6700 on winter bike.
    The Force gear change is much sweeter than Ultegra!
    You'd certainly not regret the change, that's for sure...
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960

For the weight saving and confort is it worth the money swapping over? I would sell the SL Group on ebay and it is in very good nick so it would probably cost around £350-400 as I would also be selling the brakes from Force as I have some CNC ones,

If you Do decide to do the upgrade (and I highly recommend it as a Sram user for the past 3 years), I'd be very interested in your brakes as I need a new set!!! Make sure to PM me and you may have a buyer all set up!
  • I've just gone to Rival from Tiagra, and can say you won't regret it. The shifting is very positive and not as noisy as some make out.
  • reba6768
    reba6768 Posts: 1,030
    I've just gone from 2010 Force to Ultegra 6700 (with Gore sealed cabling) - performance wise both are as smooth and good as each other. The only realworld differences for me are: Srams down shifting feels snappier but Shimanos front shifting is way quicker. Reason I changed Sram to Shim was on longer rides my right hand used to cramp up as you're only really using you're middle finger to change gears when on the hoods (old broken hand injury) - after a couple of hours I was really struggling to push the lever in far enough change into easier gears - with Shim at least I can use my whole hand if necessary.
  • Thanks guys. I have just read the same thing I mention earlier in Cplus. Some guy spanked a load of money on a Trek with SRAM Red and he said the shifting is slower than Ultegra which is dissapointing. I think he spent like 6k on it in the cycling plus colours and everything so that is quite a bold statement.

Why isnt buying bike stuff easy?!
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    hopper1 wrote:
    I have SRAM Force on the summer bike and Ultegra 6700 on winter bike.
    The Force gear change is much sweeter than Ultegra!
    You'd certainly not regret the change, that's for sure...

I also have Ultegra SL on my WInter bike and Force on my Summer bike. The shifting of the Force is much better than on the Ultegra SL.
  • Pokerface... thanks, I will let you know if I do buy. Any idea how much I would get for them not being used at all? PM me if you want to discuss in private!
  • Just checked and he was reffering to the upshift.
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    bike stuff easy?!

Because the differences are so marginal and dependent on personal choice that it's like choosing between red and green apples, as a wise man (dennisn) once said
    :wink:
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface... thanks, I will let you know if I do buy. Any idea how much I would get for them not being used at all? PM me if you want to discuss in private!

I'd happily give you £75 for them. You could get more on ebay - but then you;ve got fees to deal with, etc.

But you'd have to make your mind up soon!
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Good price. These different then?

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/sram-for ... 98635.html

(Not sure and can't be assed to check whether they've actually changed since then) :)
  • Thanks Pokerface.. Give me a couple of days to consider what I am doing but if I get it I will happily sell to you for that price. Can not be botherd with ebay really. I will let you know mid week when I sort my finances out. Cheers.
  • Pokerface
    Good price. These different then?

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/sram-for ... 98635.html

(Not sure and can't be assed to check whether they've actually changed since then) :)

Yes they are different. And if I wanted to pay full retail - I'd just go out and pay full retail! :roll:
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    I read...
    I currently have Ultegra SL and was considering moving to France.

Thought it sounded a perfectly reasonable plan!
  • leedsmjh
    leedsmjh Posts: 196
    I got SRAM Force for the same reason as the OP mentions - I've got small hands and was struggling a bit with 105 levers, especially on the hoods.

No problems at all with the SRAM, I find them really comfy and easy to use.
  • Ahhhh.. keep changing my mind! Just realised the set from Merlin comes with a 11-25cas and I want a 27 and its a braze on where I need Band. Any one know of anywhere else that can do the kit for around the £650 mark?
  • Pokerface
    Ahhhh.. keep changing my mind! Just realised the set from Merlin comes with a 11-25cas and I want a 27 and its a braze on where I need Band. Any one know of anywhere else that can do the kit for around the £650 mark?

Try http://www.fudgescyclestore.com - might have to ring them to work out a deal.
  • Out of interest is SRAM and Shimano fully compatable. I may make the move to RED but wanted to do it slowly starting with the shifters. Will they work well with the rest staying Shimano for the time being or is it best to wait to get it all in one hit.
  • Pokerface
    Out of interest is SRAM and Shimano fully compatable. I may make the move to RED but wanted to do it slowly starting with the shifters. Will they work well with the rest staying Shimano for the time being or is it best to wait to get it all in one hit.

I think you need the Sram Rear Mech with the Sram shifters. Everything else is compatible.