You'd better have a note from your mum...

2»

Comments

• snakehips
    snakehips Posts: 2,272
    About midday there was still ice on the nearby busy main road which had been in full sunlight all morning !

This removed any lingering desire that I had.

Snake

My Library
    'Follow Me' the wise man said, but he walked behind!
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Ands wrote:
    Spent 2 hrs being pampered in the hairdressers, so can't complain too much! It was a beautiful day, although felt very cold. Out tomorrow and if it's dry, I'll take the new bike out for its maiden voyage. :)

You going to be wearing a helmet? :?
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • I had a good ride, slipped on the ice though, didn't feel it then but now my tailbone is hurting.
  • shane515
    shane515 Posts: 139
    edited January 2010
    I did get out for an ice patchy 50 miler but my B-in-Law didnt...........he had to wash his car, Bianchi riders!! :lol::lol::lol:
  • LazyBoycp
    LazyBoycp Posts: 320
    42.5 miles - my longest solo ride ever, I think. :oops:

Stopped off in Royles in Wilmslow near the start of the ride, to see what sort of stuff they had. One guy seemed to be collecting/trying out a new Cervelo P2, which looked absolutely stunning.

Also need to study maps a bit more so I have bail-out routes if necessary - 1st problem consisted of following my GPS down a farm track for about 5 miles or so on some horrendous surfaces - my bike gained a lot of weight from all the cack that got sprayed on it. 2nd problem was going down a road where there was a sign saying something like 'Warning - high collision-risk road', then another saying '41 collisions in the past 3 years', then '57 casualties in the past 3 years'. Don't know why they didn't just put up a sign at the start with a skull and crossbones and 'Abandon hope all ye who enter here'! :roll: :D
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Project deadline approaching, so worked a full day, since I've been back i've done 2 hours on the turbo with intervals and a core workout, so not too bad!
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Just finished oiling my chain in preparation for tomorrow's first ride of the year. Looked out of the front door, and it's snowed again. Only a thin dusting, but it's bound to freeze tonight (there was ice in the park this afternoon). Not going to risk it on icy roads tomorrow.

:evil:
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Ecuses, excuses :( Really takesd the enjoyment away when my hands are in so much pain that i find myself trying to sit on my hands to warm them up. Some people hate the wind most but my bl00dy hands irritate the hell out of me :(

I'm going to try those heated gloves despite recommendations on here (i will probably report back saying no good but hey........).
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Great Conditions?

Some idiot football stadium designers have decided that Scottish grounds don't need internal concourses, therefore I have been freezing my balls off watching Dundee United be both brilliant (attack) and crap (defence) at the same time, at least I had 4 goals worth of jumping around to keep warm with.

Wasn't so cold when I got back to Fife though.

Doubt I will venture out tomorrow.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    LazyBoycp wrote:
    42.5 miles - my longest solo ride ever, I think. :oops:

Stopped off in Royles in Wilmslow near the start of the ride, to see what sort of stuff they had. One guy seemed to be collecting/trying out a new Cervelo P2, which looked absolutely stunning.

Also need to study maps a bit more so I have bail-out routes if necessary - 1st problem consisted of following my GPS down a farm track for about 5 miles or so on some horrendous surfaces - my bike gained a lot of weight from all the cack that got sprayed on it. 2nd problem was going down a road where there was a sign saying something like 'Warning - high collision-risk road', then another saying '41 collisions in the past 3 years', then '57 casualties in the past 3 years'. Don't know why they didn't just put up a sign at the start with a skull and crossbones and 'Abandon hope all ye who enter here'! :roll: :D

Royles is where I get all my stuff. You must be local to me, we should venture out some time. This was my ride today -

http://www.dailymile.com/routes/74893-cycling-route-in-eaton-gb

A few hills, fell off on the climb up the cloud due to the ice.

785 metres of climbing.
  • LazyBoycp
    LazyBoycp Posts: 320
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Royles is where I get all my stuff. You must be local to me, we should venture out some time. This was my ride today -

http://www.dailymile.com/routes/74893-cycling-route-in-eaton-gb

A few hills, fell off on the climb up the cloud due to the ice.

785 metres of climbing.

Not sure if I'm local enough, given the state of my legs - looks like you're based around Holmes Chapel, whereas I'm north of the airport. Went through Wilmslow, down through the various Peovers, Lostock Gralam and then looped round the top of Tatton Park and back home; somewhere around 400m of climbing, which was enough for me today. Hoping to build up my mileage and climbing to be able to do the Spring Fling, so could see you there. Also considering the 50 mile version of the Jodrell Bank Sportive.
  • seemunkee
    seemunkee Posts: 206
    It's been snowing all day, took a hard fall skating last night, and only got 5 hours of sleep.
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    Apple15 wrote:
    PostieJohn wrote:
    Out today and tomorrow.
    The only difference being, tomorrow I won't have 50kgs of post to deliver, at the same time.

Mmmmm 50 kgs of mail, dont think so, :D
    Dont forget to get all of the dust off of the bike, last thing you need is to be carrying that extra weight.
    Your just jealous cos I can carve you up even though your chugging around with a blooming cat in your van, all the while, I'm keeping up real.
  • Went out on the mountain bike to avoid ice in the roads. Fell off after slipping on the mud and running into a tree.

Then had a puncture. In the mud!

But it was glorious in the sun.

Off to the velodrome tomorrow.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I went out today, managed 3 punctures from a frayed tyre boot I put in after a bit of flint cut the sidewall. All out of tubes, then the gents of Polhill CC came along, lent me atube and we were off, thank you men.
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    hopper1 wrote:
    Ands wrote:
    Spent 2 hrs being pampered in the hairdressers, so can't complain too much! It was a beautiful day, although felt very cold. Out tomorrow and if it's dry, I'll take the new bike out for its maiden voyage. :)

You going to be wearing a helmet? :?
    Woke up to snow. Went shopping instead. Treated myself to a new pair of......................................................... white bottle cages 8) :lol:
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    112k of hills. 4 hrs 20 mins.

We saw some hardcore guy doing Winnats pass with a rucksack full of weights to increase the suffering! :shock: :shock: :shock:
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Way too icy for me. Managed to tiptoe around 12 miles. On one lane I lost my back wheel 3 times in 2 miles. How I didn't end up on my face is beyond me. :o
  • G-Wiz
    G-Wiz Posts: 261
    We saw some hardcore guy doing Winnats pass with a rucksack full of weights to increase the suffering!

Reminds me, I need to fix the cassette on my mountain bike. It weighs 41lbs with full water bottles. Top bit of kit for when I'm short on training time.

I dropped 8 lbs off my bike when I bought a new one last summer, I'm worried it might make me go soft
  • Was all set for an early ish ride - everything laid out the night before. Woke up with streaming head cold instead... b*gger!
  • Managed to get out Sunday, first proper ride for ages. Did a circumspect 22 miles, ass (glutes) ache like hell, not used to the bumps in the road I guess after months of TT work.

Ice everywhere but no issues thankfully.

So nice to break free from the Dungeon at last!

Saw lots of brave souls returning from the Hell of Ashdown looking in a sorry state.....
  • Got out for 3 hours both days.. main roads only though.

Saturday: 92km with 3x30 minutes at 90%MHR and a 5 minute 95% MHR blast at the end. No problems with the weather at all apart from one wobble on some packed slush behind Bass lake.

Sunday: 85km in 3 Hrs 30 minutes, just an easy plod. Did Dunmail Raise both sides with a cool 41mph on teh way down towards Grasmere. Some Uber-Sketch sliding on the A66 though... New shorts please!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    i went out and did 100k, 4 hours of hills in the sun still pretty cold though

Me, too! It was stunning out there, crystal clear skies, sunshine, birdsong. Talking of stunning, though, I lost contact with my toes after the first 20 minutes and didn't regain it until I had been back in the house for at least an hour.

Ice is a problem out there, so I took it easy and posted a modest time (nothing to do with it being 7 weeks since I took any exercise! :oops: )

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)