Rear disc pads not open

top_bhoy
top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
edited January 2010 in MTB beginners
I've just got myself the Kona Kula 2009 from Wiggle - my 1st ever MTB :) I can't seem to fit the rear wheel into the frame because the rotor will not fit in between the pads. I've tried to pull the pads apart with my fingers while attempting to fix the wheel into position but this has had little success. Operationally, they open and close OK when pulling the brake - there just don't seem to be a wide enough gap. Any advice on correcting this or a website to look at?

Comments

• you can look at the park tools website on break adjustment.

Did you squeeze the brake before fitting the wheel? If so, you need to reset the caliper pistons.

It sounds like your calipers are not fully retract. To fix this stick a flat screwdriver between the disks and pry the pads apart, this will reset the caliper pistons and your wheel should fit.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    1960ride wrote:
    you can look at the park tools website on break adjustment.

Did you squeeze the brake before fitting the wheel? If so, you need to reset the caliper pistons.

It sounds like your calipers are not fully retract. To fix this stick a flat screwdriver between the disks and pry the pads apart, this will reset the caliper pistons and your wheel should fit.

I had tried the screwdriver between the pads with no luck but I eventually removed the pads completely from the housing and using a plastic coated spanner handle, I prised the side plates (I assume these are the pistons) apart, re-assembled and all seems well now. Job done (fingers crossed).

Thanks