Newbie Turbo setup issue, advice please ...

slowlanejane
slowlanejane Posts: 312
edited January 2010 in Road beginners
OK, set up my new turbo for my new bike and I'm a new rider. Get the newness, I am only learning so go gently with me.

I have an Elite Crono turbo trainer. Followed the instructions, replaced my quick release with the one supplied. To do it up tight enough for the rear wheel to be secure the wheel is pushed out of correct alignment for brakes with the consequence that the brakes are slightly in contact and the wheel doesn't spin freely. To release the braking impediment the wheel is too loose and moves around. I think the rod of the supplied quick release is narrower diameter than the original - or are they a std size and I'm being a numpty?

Suggested fixes / explanations / assurances that this is normal etc much appreciated.

Can I use the bike's original quick release?

The bike itself sits to the extreme right of the turbo - the Crono has only 1 side that you can adjust re positioning and that holds the bike firmly to the |righthandside of the tyre space, is this OK or will I end up damaging something?

How much movement of the tyre / wheel across the turbo is normal? I have about 30degrees movement which was find when just spinning but when I put in some effort on extra loads I sometimes felt a bit precarious.

Comments

• ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Your wheel shouldn't really be moving about laterally on the turbo, so that will need addressing.

How does the rear axle lock into place on the turbo? I presume there's one side that fits the side with the quick-release lever on and the other side is the bit that moves and locks it into place, yes? You should be able to adjust the side that locks the quick-release lever end into place so that the bike doesn't sit to the extreme right or left of the turbo. And it should lock into place without affecting the wheel alignment, so there's something awry there.

The quick-release skewer they supplied should be the same diameter or as near as you wouldn't know it to the one you already have, so that shouldn't be the issue.

Any chance you could post a picture of how you're setting it up currently?
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    If your turbo is canting your wheel out of alignment there is something wrong.

Fit the turbo skewer on the bike and set it up as if going out on the road. The only difference with the skewer is it allows the cups on the turbo to fit over the ends which your regular one probably wont.

With the roller tension OFF put the bike into the turbo.

Now adjust the clamp so it holds the bike firmly, you do not need to clamp it like a Scotsman on a fiver. The bike should now sit there happily you should be able to sit and turn the pedals (still roller off the tyre.)

Now adjust the tension of the roller so it grips on the tyre without slipping. There is nothing in this action which should push your wheel out of alignment in the frame. If the wheel is moving in the frame then the skewer isn't tight enough.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed