It's all going a bit pear-shaped - HELP ME

slowlanejane
slowlanejane Posts: 312
edited February 2010 in Road beginners
I am simultaneously loving and hating my new road bike. I love it - the thing itself, the bike, which I bought last Nov having done my homework and had a fitting. Practised with cleats before riding, rode first at the velodrome, loved it, loved it, loved it all - then onto roads when it started to go wrong.

Taught myself some basic maintenance so I don't have another long walk in cleats.

Next ride out - clipless fall having muffed the gears on what I'd call an incline if I was in the car. Fell into the carriageway of a fast country main road - if a car had been approaching I would have been killed. Scared myself sh1tless.

It seems even minor hills kill me as if they were mountains. My lungs are fine but my legs have nothing to give - not lactic acid burning sensation, just an absence of oompf until I peter out altogether.

Next ride - didn't plan route, went off for an hour when I got one. Got carried away, cycled far too far and greatly overestimated my fitness. Couldn't manage the hills on the quiet country route home and couldn't face the less hilly main road route after the fall before. Called the hubby to retrieve me, got lectured all the way home. Been told to stay local and stop trying to be 20 again.

So finally FINALLY tonight set up the turbo I bought when the weather was bad. Took bloody ages as its all new to me. Not sure I got it right, posting sep thread on that issue. So once it was all done and ready to go I'd lost interest. Rode anyway for 20mins or so, still have that empty feeling in legs.

I hardly ever get the chance to go out on the bike as work during the week and kids at the weekend, so good riding opps are few & far between. When they come its v dispiriting to fail on each one. Was hoping to join a group to ride with so I could pick up some skills and tips, but cant see that happening when the most I could manage is 2 slow hours on the flat.

Someone tell me it'll all be alright.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It'll all be alright.

You won't get any better by not doing it!
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    It'll be alright :wink:

How long are you going for - time/distance - when you get the "nothing to give" feeling? Could be you're not eating/drinking enough during the ride. I know the feeling well.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    ride more - and keep riding. In six months time, you will look back on this and laugh....
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    same with weights.... its no fun for months, then it becomes easy. ish.
    And fun.

like as S curve

slow and flat, then a steep rise, then level out again.
  • Iain, I had only been out for about 1hr but hadn't eaten for a while prior, did suspect it might be fuel related but hot choc & cake didn't fix it. It's only my 3rd proper ride on a road bike, just not very fit. Manage better on the old MTB but friendlier gearing there. I'm also finding that the stiffer ride on the roadie makes for alot of shock absorbtion thru my body, to which its completely unaccustomed and absolutely knackering, even tho MTB has no suspension.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    It'll be alright. Now is the time to stick to it. Just think about how much more confidence and ability you'll have once the longer days and better (ahem) weather kicks in later in the year. All the best,

Ron
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Practice using those gears and get into a low one before you are desparate for it.
    The strength will come, just keep at it.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    summer.... now there is a thought.
    short sleeves.

things CAN only get better.
  • Also, 2 hours is quite a long time for someone who is pretty new. If I was you I'd start off by doing shorter rides - up to an hour at first and then increase it very gradually.

I can do fairly long cycles but recently started running again for the first time in years and am having to do the ease myself in or I completely knacker my knees. I've been building up the time over a few weeks now and tomorrow am planning to go out for a whole 25 minutes! So don't be too worried if you have to start off slowly. After a few weeks you will be comfortably going out for as long as you want.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Don't worry it will come eventually. My first ride back after a 30 year layoff was a flat 6 miler after which I really did puke my guts up! That was a couple of years ago, now I'm doing centuries, sportives, TT's and riding with a club. Just try little and often and increasing the distance gradually each week, you'll get there in the end.
  • as everyone has stated, it gets better!

Its suprising how quickly a feeling of better fitness will occur.. Just need to keep at it.

Practice shorter runs with higher intensity to begin with, and as for hills, if they are murdering you during a run, do some hill intervals to get up your power and confidence.

Choose a nice hill, rest at the bottom till you feel ready, then choose a low gear and just try to hammer your way as far up as you can. When you feel knackered and want to stop, rest, float down to the bottom and give it another go...

Just plan your stop and make sure you clip out!!

I do a 5 mile hilly trip to uni and to work (appears I live in a valley although im at the top of a hill...) and in the beginning it used to make me want to honk everywhere... Shaky legs, red face.. Now I do it in 15 mins and use it as sprint training.

Keep at it!
    exercise.png
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Also, 2 hours is quite a long time for someone who is pretty new.

Absolutely!

I am not sure what your fitness level was like before taking up cycling properly but you really do need a fantastic level of aerobic fitness as well as all the muscles to do a long trek like that.

Here is quite a helpful pdf on training....

http://www.action.org.uk/files/download ... uide_2.pdf

If you don't already have a great engine, I would be aiming for 5 - 10 miles at a time, 3 times a week for at least a month before moving on.

Someone stated "plan your routes" which is sound advice. I can thoroughly recommend:

www.mapmyride.com.

It is easy to use and (if you tick the box on the right) gives you elevation so you can be sure you wil not over stretch yourself...

Above all, enjoy it!
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    It will be alright!

Keep going - it's not always enjoyable when the weather is a bit crap as it is now but when we get into spring and you've been steadily building up your miles, and the sun comes out and you spot lambs in the fields etc etc, you'll feel brilliant.

All that you've written rings true with me (I've also fallen off 5 times now, including into oncoming traffic - also got lost and came home completely goosed, barely able to function - have called husband crying with frustration/pain and not sure I would make it home!) and one day you will look back on it and smile at how far you have come. I'm not 20 either but I feel it - and so will you.

Keep it up :D
  • northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    by the sounds of it you are biting off a touch too much to start off with - if you are going out for 2 hours or so you need to be eating an energy bar at least every 30 mins as well as going out about an hour after having a good-ish meal. It sounds like you 'bonked' - it happens to me all the time, its a weird feeling and you simply have NO POWER at all struggling to turn the pedals.

on the issue of pedals, why not get used to the clipless ones on the turbo and get some pedal adapters so that you have 'normal' pedals for going out - just wear your trainers and then when you get used to the pedals a bit better you can start to use them clipped in.
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Learn to spin. By that I mean cycling at a medium to high cadence most of the while. Avoid using your highest highest gears unless you can maintain that cadence. Cycling in too higher gear when you are unfit will absolutely drain your energy levels. As you get fitter, then you can up the power.

Respect for you trying to get out this time of year though :wink:
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • If you fancy riding in a group why not try the local CTC group,they have different groups for different abilities. I know sometimes the CTC is seen as not trendy with new road cyclists who have come into cycling through routes other than traditional club riding. You will learn about group riding and they really are a helpfull bunch.
  • prb007
    prb007 Posts: 703
    Respect for you trying to get out this time of year though :wink:[/quote]

x2 for the effort - if it seems hard now, it'll be easier in the spring and easiest in
    the summer when you've laid down a good base at this time of year.

Stick with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
    Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
    Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
    Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
    An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...
  • You lovely lot, thank you for your warm support and good ideas. I was just a bit down last night and I dont have any bike-ey friends to share this with.

I will indeed check out the training link, do shorter runs, be more careful with my route planning, get some hill work in (I am doing sprints & hills to improve my running too and I have a good traffic-free hill near me that I could prob take kids too). I will fix my turbo and use it . I will look forward to longer days and warmer weather. When it goes wrong I will think about Popette, Mattward, Markos and the others who have all been thru similar and lived to become competent cyclists.

Thanks guys.
  • AndyD2574
    AndyD2574 Posts: 1,034
    The main thing mate is to stick in!
    Once you build up slowly and you get that bit of stamina and power in your legs you will start and love it more and more and your confidence will rocket!
    Specialized S Works Venge
    Argon18 E114
    Specialized Langster Single Speed
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
    http://www.glasgowgreencycleclub.co.uk
  • dov2711
    dov2711 Posts: 131
    This is an interesting thread as discussion between well established cyclists can warp a newbies sense of what they should expect of themselves.

I know as having returned after years away got to a point where I was setting expectations way in excess of my capabilities-result was I spent less and less time actually on the bike.

The advice that helped came from forumers and my wife who is tuned into the idea that average speed is far less important than the feeling of just having been out on the bike.

As a result the average isnt checked anymore neither is ther guilt at not having been out x times per week for x amount of miles. I know my speeds slow - so what its surely better than last year and will likely be better after the summer.

The notion that short distances somehow dont count is rubbish, do what suits you-I rarely cover more than 40 miles as my life doesnt allow me the time but I still get a hell of a lot out of my cycling. I would say others get more as Im a far nicer person when the bikes absorbed my day to day frustrations.

Do what you can fit in and go at your pace-eat well pre, during and post rides and mind the first few miles are (for me anyway) the toughest as my legs scream "why cant we just watch TV" it passes.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    +1
    My head seems to think I should better than my legs actually are. :?

...but they're better than they were twelve months ago. :wink:
    Cycling weakly
  • prb007
    prb007 Posts: 703
    its' a self-perpetuating 'cycle';
    the more you ride, the fitter you get & the more you enjoy it,
    then.......the more you enjoy it, the more you'll ride and the fitter you'll get!

now then, must stop typing, and start riding!
    If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
    Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
    Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
    Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
    An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...
  • Anonymous
    Ride for up to an hour initailly, spin it up in lower gears and practice the unclipping on a bit of grass if you can. Anticipate the junctions and always unclip well before a junction if you are apprehensive. Keep going out when you can, but if you are really tired from the week, dont do it, rest is really important too. Like all the others have said, you will look back on this and laugh.
    PS, what bike did you get ?
  • Leroy42
    Leroy42 Posts: 78
    SlowlaneJane,

TO echo others comments on here, cycling is like most things, those that do it all the time make it look so easy and when the rest of us try to to do it is so hard.

I got back into cycling after a few years off through college etc. Got my old bike and went out to do the main hill climb we used to race back in the days.

It almost killed me. Couldn't believe that we actaully used to do this for fun. Only 100 metres in and my whol;e body was wasted. Never again I thought, what was I thinking. I got half was up the climb and stopped and a car park park. I could handly get off the bike.

Right, I thought, it was fun was I was younger, but time to forget all this nonsense. Then I saw other people cycling past on their way to the top (this is a 2 mile hill so fairly hard but no Galibier!) and I thought if they can do it?!?! Rested a good bit longer, rested some more, put my logic processes out of action and got back on the bike and headed towards the top.

I think it took my 3 times as long (without countng the rest period) as I had recalled it taking previously. But I made it. I think the entire cycle was something like 20 miles.

That was a few years ago now, and I always find that after any of my clubmates are off for injuries, work etc for extended periods they always have a hard time coming back. They miss being able to do better. I always say that most non-cyclists couldn't even complete the course, never mind the time.

It is really hard to get through the initial phase. Everything seems to hurt. Your legs, your neck, your hands, even your bum. But slowly you get used to it. Slowly your body adapts to the new system.

Listening to some on the forums, with their Marmotte/Etape stories we can come over as this being easy. It never easy, but it does get to be fun. But it takes time, and dedication (not Lance like dedication of course but some will power). Go out for 10 miles, then next week 15 etc and enjoy being away from work, kids (I'm not saying your kids aren't great and all...) housework etc
    So this little yellow braclet makes me a better cyclist?
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Can't add to all the advice given, but I'll just say it's a fantastic feeling when you realise you've cracked it, when you ride with ease up a hill that not long ago had you on your knees halfway up thinking "I'll never be good enough for this"; when you cover the distance that you thought was impossible and think "hey, I still feel good enough to do it again".

It's the bad moments that make you appreciate the good ones 8)
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    SlowlaneJane, I think you hit the nail on the head. Become a 'competant' cyclist, don't set yourself unrealistic targets, just little goals that are achievable. I'm a bit of masochist nowerdays, I don't mind getting beaten up and dropped by the faster guys in my club. I like to set tough goals in order to come back and do better, but when I think back to when I first started back it was a case of 'I will make it up that hill today' or 'I will do one more sprint', ' I can do 12 miles instead of 10'. You have done the most important thing anyway, you have swung your leg over the saddle and started riding, big respect. Don't be frightened to post on here your questions and thoughts, we have all been there and are only too keen to relive and advise you as best we can.
  • Anonymous
    markos1963 wrote:
    SlowlaneJane, I think you hit the nail on the head. Become a 'competant' cyclist, don't set yourself unrealistic targets, just little goals that are achievable. I'm a bit of masochist nowerdays, I don't mind getting beaten up and dropped by the faster guys in my club. I like to set tough goals in order to come back and do better, but when I think back to when I first started back it was a case of 'I will make it up that hill today' or 'I will do one more sprint', ' I can do 12 miles instead of 10'. You have done the most important thing anyway, you have swung your leg over the saddle and started riding, big respect. Don't be frightened to post on here your questions and thoughts, we have all been there and are only too keen to relive and advise you as best we can.

Nicely put.
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    SLJ - When I started (about four years ago) I didn't even want to be a "cyclist", just obtain a bit of fitness associated with a weight-loss programme, also known as a diet. I could not even ride around the housing estate on which I live!

Gradually the distances increased, I rode on a nearby factory estate to give me confidence on the road, I bought a hybrid to replace the BSO and then a tourer. The distances and time on the road increased until I am out all day, oh and by the way enjoying it hugely. This year I intend to do 100mile rides and more sportive/audax type thingies.

What I am trying to say is that you can take it steadily, the scope and pace (although not much in my case) will increase. Do it to enjoy it, if you feel low leave it alone. That is advice from professionals by the way :) On a good day, even when it is cold, I have difficulty turning the bike to head for home. It will come, just give yourself the time and space to improve at your own pace.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    I support what everyone else says. It takes time and effort and with commitment you can get there.

Here is a story, 2 years back, I used to ride with my mate who is 26 and 9.5 stone. I am 38 and 15 stone ish. He would destroy me week in week out. However we dont ride so much together now and yesterday we rode together for the first time since late last summer. Without sounding like a bombastic idiot I rode him into the floor in every respect. Hills, flats and over all riding ability. The great thing is that after 60 miles and a coffee stop my friend confessed he was thinking about asking to turn back, but we did not and I pulled him home. Fantastic feeling when he said he could not believe how far I have come. But, I still have a long way to go as cycling for me is based on year in year out progress. I am diagnosed bi-polar (manic depressive) and believe me when I say that cycling has and continues to save my life and keep me off the happy pills. (I would point out that I am pretty normal really..!)

If I can do it, you can. My advice, join a club and learn how to ride the bike with people who can help you along. Its a brilliant thing when it all comes but it does take time. Over Xmas when I was on the turbo my friend was watching movies with his feet up so if you put the work in, you will get it back in small margins, bit by bit. Good luck, where are you based?
  • LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416
    I am simultaneously loving and hating my new road bike. I love it - the thing itself, the bike, which I bought last Nov having done my homework and had a fitting.

:) - know that feeling. When it's going right my bike makes me feel strong, fast and independent. That I love

When it's going wrong slow, fat, weak, and stupid. That not so much.

I generally use google maps to plan routes (i like that you can drag the lines around to other roads to make it longer or shorter).

Also - if you drive - don't be afraid to scope out some routes in your car (if not get someone else to drive) - also don't be afraid to take your bike to a nice start point to get a nicer ride that will build your confidence on quieter or flater roads. Not every ride has to start from the front door.