Scott CR1 any views

Noel PT
Noel PT Posts: 627
edited January 2010 in Road buying advice
Hey guys,

I been mountain biking for many years now, but I got a mate that got me on a few road rides and I just stuck at the back of the pack and have really enjoyed it. Got a bit of a taste for it now and wanna start moving up the order if you know what I mean.

So I thought I would bite the bullet and get myself a bike. This same mate took me to look at the CR1 and I must admit I am very keen.
http://www.onlinebikes.com/catalogue.as ... uctID=7379

Besides the wheels bieng entry level, I cant see much wrong.

Anyone got any opinions that can help my decision?

Comments

• Donnic
    Donnic Posts: 85
    Can only agree with djbarren.
    Had one for a year now and absolutely love it. Seriously upgradeable frame.
    I find it very comfortable, rides really well, and looks very good too. (Although I will admit I prefer the look of the frames from a few years ago)
  • stokepa31
    stokepa31 Posts: 559
    Picked mine up yesterday. I went for the comp with a view to upgrading the groupset over time. I upgraded to easton EA70 wheels which seem to suit it very well and are pretty stiff and lightish.

The bike rides like a dream and is very comfortable. im running 25mm duraskins. looking forward to a long run later today but the 4 mile ride back from the shop yesterday gave me a beaming smile. its quick too and was night and day compared to my felt qx75 hybrid.

jury is out on the saddle but should know more after today.
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • stokepa31
    should have added mine is the 2010 model which is a new frame for this year.
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    +1 it's a great bike. Upgrade the wheels and it's a quality machine, light fast stiff and comfy for big rides on rough roads.

As stoke says, the 2010 has been made more compliant (and more relaxed geometry I think) and they've repositioned it more at sportive type use. IME the earlier ones (I have an 08 which is same as 09) were perfectly suitable for racing or sportives or anything else anyway though.

You might want to also have a look at Boardman Team Carbon (£999), which you could buy and spend the spare £250 plus what you could sell the wheels from that for (£80?) on a wheels upgrade. The Boardman frame is a bit heavier though, so maybe you'd see the Scott as having more upgrade potential.
  • sibike
    sibike Posts: 257
    ive exactly the same cr1 team your looking at , had it delivered this week .Ive only been round the block on it but really pleased with it so far .Nice looking bike and light as well .
  • pianoman
    pianoman Posts: 706
    Looks an excellent buy, the 2009 Cr1 Comp (with TIAGRA) :shock: started off more expensive.

The Aksium wheels aren't bad if you're just interested in general riding, sportives etc but you might want something a bit racier for competitive use. Oh, and do yourself a favour and get some Schwalbe tyres, e.g. Durano, Ultremo, those tyres aren't really very good. Winter tyres on a "summer carbon racer"..........LOL :P
  • stokepa31
    two hour jaunt yesterday and im blown away with how well the bike rides. the two things I really noticed were how comfortable the bike is and the difference in climbing.

i was expecting a really bone shaking ride but its as comfortable as my qx75 which was running 32mm tyres.

im coming from a low base but am sure my hill riding is twice as quick as it was before. I will admit to a sin though. I had the drops replaced with some mid rise standard bars. shock horror I hear you say.

i didnt feel ready for a full on road bike yet but have kept the drops and STIs to put it back when i feel ready.

if you want to check out some pics, the bike shop thought it worthy of blogging given its odd appearance.

http://coventrycyclecentre.spaces.live.com/
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • boblo
    boblo Posts: 360
    Oh dear, what have you done...? :roll:

This is my CR1 in more normal configuration:

DSCF1434.jpg

Fantastic bike.
  • stokepa31,
    what have you done :?:

put the drops and sti back on

if you like the more upright position fit some CX brake levers
  • stokepa31
    i know i know i know, ill go to hell lol

Recovering from a damaged back so its not forever. I dont want it like that but think it looks ok considering .
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • rokkala
    rokkala Posts: 649
    :shock:
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    I feel queasy.... :(