Tyres - sorry!!

Noclue
Noclue Posts: 503
edited January 2010 in Road buying advice
Firstly apologies, i;ve tried the search facility but it's a bit like needle in a haystack.

I'm after a new set of tyres (700x23) that will be used for training commuting and a handful of sportives, now i'm aware that good puncture resistance/light/low rolling resistance is the holy grail of tyres but i really don't have a clue about road tyres, out of the 3 puncture resistance is probably the most important to me and they are to replace a set of continentals that came on my planet x, whats out there and reccomended? Thanks.

Comments

• STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Ok, if the search function worked (which it doesn't for me :wink: ) then i think your conclusion would be Michellin Krylion Carbons.

Hope this helps and visit the forum more often, not just when you want something :wink:
  • Noclue
    Cheers, and i visit daily, just don't have alot to add in the road section as mtb is my preffered cycling sport, and pointless comments aren't my style, if i comment than i like it to be worthwhile :wink:
  • STEFANOS4784
    Haha, opposite to me then, but if you did visit regularly then i'm sure you'd find my answer correct. Now get back in the mud you filthy MB'er :wink:
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    For that type of riding, I would consider 25mm over 23mm.....

Mich Krylion Carbon (not tried them myself, but everyone else seems keen)
    Vittoria Rubino Pro
    Continental Grand Prix 24mm

You won't go far wrong with any of the above...
  • mike ives
    mike ives Posts: 319
    I can also recommend the Rubino Pros. I have changed to them from Fortezza Tricomps and have found them to be excellent. Dare I say it? I haven't had a puncture yet.
    They're cheaper too!
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    I got Michelin Krylion Carbons after reading the recommendations from here.
    Punctured twice within a few days, which resulted in a big hole in one (must have been glass) so changed to Continental GP4000s and haven't looked back.
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    +1 for Conti GP4000s

Roll fast, light, corner well, rode them all Summer (on my Summer wheels) and didn't get a single puncture.....(all available limbs crossed :) )

Must admit though I've not used them in Winter but's that's only cos I can't justify to the accounts manager :wink: replacing the Zaffiros that are on my Winter wheels.

When does Summer happen???? :cry:
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • STEFANOS4784
    :lol::lol::lol:

Perfect example of how it's mostly luck of the draw 8)

I use PR3 which punctured my Conti GP4000 didn't................

......So they're better :roll:

Just buy some bloody tyres cheap as poss and not folders and make sure they're pumped up enough, you wont go far wrong 8)
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    Some things are luck of the draw, I agree...like getting punctures etc.
    Better tyre design, improved protection etc do decrease your chances of getting a flat but won't remove the possibility totally.

I guess none of us are lucky enough to try every tyre out there, that's why there are so many questions about them on forums like this asking for opinions...after all that's all we can give

Things like weight aren't luck though, they are fact.

My Zaffiros weigh some 150G per tyre more than my GP4000s.
    Performance wise they are both great, but 150g per wheel, on the rim is a fair chunk of extra wheel weight to move around, especially considering the rim itself only weighs around 450g.

I'd buy Zaffiros (cheap) again and I'd buy Conti 4000s again (not so cheap :) )
    Given the choice though, I 'd have the Contis...all down to personal experience and preference of course, no scientific basis whatsoever :D
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • Noclue
    Thanks for your advice all.