Newbie needs help 'building' GT Avalanche 1.0 2010 Disc MTB

MonkeyJug
MonkeyJug Posts: 3
edited January 2010 in MTB beginners
hi guys and gals,

decided on a lifestyle change, ie. getting fit! and as the title suggests, i need a little bit of help on building my new mountain bike...

it came in a box, with the rear wheel attached, so i've had to fit the front wheel, handlebars, seat and pedals.

pedals - no problem!!

seat - how tight do i turn the tightener before closing/locking it? if i tighten it hand tight, then i am frighted to force the handle closed, in case it damages it. at the moment, it is considerably less than hand-tight, and it is closed, but i'm worried it might be too loose.

handlebars - only problem i'm facing is exactly where to position the little 'cross-hair' type thing that sits in the middle of the bar. should it face upwards, outwards or what? what position is default for a handlebar? ie. brakes at a slight angle downwards, or horizontal to the handle?

now for the wheel fitting - this is where i'm most unsure, and i think i'm right in assuming that the fitting of any wheel is critical!

i have the wheel on, but there is a very slight rubbing in the brakes when i spin the wheel freely. i can't for the life of me see how i'm supposed to get this perfectly aligned, because the wheel sits very snugly into the forks.

also, before i fitted the wheel, there were two little rubber 'slightly greased' washers on each side - am i correct in assuming that these should be discarded before fitting the wheel?

when i fit the bar that goes through the wheel (the one with the quick release handle on it), as per the seat, just how tight am i supposed to tighten it?

i think that's just about it - looking forward to taking this for a 'safe' spin tomorrow!

Comments

• mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    Seat: If it is quick release type (not with a bolt), push on it - if it just flicks closed with 1 finger, then it's too loose. If you think you need to stand on it to close it it is too tight :lol: .
    Alot of people say when you close it and it leaves a little 'imprint or mark' on your palm for a few seconds it is tight enough.

Quite hard to explain, but basically as loose as possible, without the seatpost moving down or twisting.

Handlebars/Stem: If you mean the little horizontal lines which are right in the middle of the handlebars, they are a guide for where to clamp the stem - ie. means that they are centred. Keep the handlebars relatively upright, although you can twist them foward/backwards a little to adjust your position.There is no standard for the brake levers, although most people have it inline with their arms/shoulders when stretched straight. If you feel like your brake levers are in the wrong position, don't move the handlebars, move the levers down/up - there should be an allen key bolt on the clamp which you can open a little to move them.

Wheel: I am guessing you have hydraulic brakes, if so place the wheel in the dropouts, with the disc inbetween the pads. Tighten the quick release, if the wheel is rubbing,loosen the caliper mount bolts a little, squeeze the brake lever a few times, then while holding the brake lever closed, tighten the caliper bolts again. This centres the disc inside the caliper.

Once all that is done, just check all the bolts are tight and the brakes work and you should be ready!
  • mrfmilo
    Also, with the seatclamp you can't really brake it easily, just don't go over the top with it :)
  • MonkeyJug wrote:
    seat - how tight do i turn the tightener before closing/locking it? if i tighten it hand tight, then i am frighted to force the handle closed, in case it damages it. at the moment, it is considerably less than hand-tight, and it is closed, but i'm worried it might be too loose.

Just tight enough so the seat doesn't move. It'll be quite loose until you lock in the quick release - if you find you're forcing it, just stop and loosen it off a touch. It doesn't need to be that tight.
    handlebars - only problem i'm facing is exactly where to position the little 'cross-hair' type thing that sits in the middle of the bar. should it face upwards, outwards or what? what position is default for a handlebar? ie. brakes at a slight angle downwards, or horizontal to the handle?

Have a look at other bikes. It's all personal preference really but I guess you'll generally see the same kinda layout for similar reasons, just copy what you see for now and see if it's comfortable.
    i have the wheel on, but there is a very slight rubbing in the brakes when i spin the wheel freely. i can't for the life of me see how i'm supposed to get this perfectly aligned, because the wheel sits very snugly into the forks.

Sometimes when you put the wheel on, it can sit at a slightly off angle, causing brakes to rub, etc. Pop it off and back on a few times, see if it turns out any different, and try not to put any angular pressure on the wheel. Just give it a tap or two and let it find its own slot. A very slight rub isn't uncommon nothing to worry about.

And it may sound stupid but it's easily overlooked - make sure the disc is slotted between the pads.
    also, before i fitted the wheel, there were two little rubber 'slightly greased' washers on each side - am i correct in assuming that these should be discarded before fitting the wheel?

Quite possible, depending on what you're talking about. Pics would help.
    when i fit the bar that goes through the wheel (the one with the quick release handle on it), as per the seat, just how tight am i supposed to tighten it?

Doesn't need to be super tight, but tight enough since it is your wheel. Just check it after riding for a bit, make sure it hasn't loosened off. You'll get used to how much pressure you need.
  • mrfmilo

Was the wheel new? If it was they often come with a plastic/rubber cap type thing that protects the axle/hub etc.
  • mrfmilo wrote:
    Also, with the seatclamp you can't really brake it easily, just don't go over the top with it :)

I remember from my BMX days that it was quite easy to nip the bars slightly, and they'd keep slipping thereafter.

Probably never going to be much of a problem with mtb, especially the seat, not unless you have big high rise bars - and I could never understand the concept of an oval bar not locking better than a round one - but I always go for just tight enough these days.
  • mrfmilo wrote:
    Was the wheel new? If it was they often come with a plastic/rubber cap type thing that protects the axle/hub etc.

mrfmilo and butcher of bakersfield - thanks for taking the time to reply in such detail.

there was a plastic cap on each end of the axle, but i discarded these. there is a further rubber washer, slightly greased which sat around the nut on each side of the wheel. they are off at the moment, but it doesn't look like it makes much difference on or off, so i'm not too concerned...

thanks again for the replies guys. it is pretty much secure and ready to rock tomorrow!
  • mrfmilo
    The platic one is just packaging, the rubber thing should stay on. It acts as a light seal, although not needed it keeps out grit etc.