Recommended Multitool

dan1502
dan1502 Posts: 568
edited January 2010 in MTB buying advice
Can anyone recommend a value for money multitool that will have all that I need? I'm a complete beginner so don't know where to start. I don't want cheap rubbish but good quality at a good price.

Thanks
Santa Cruz Tallboy

Comments

• rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    Topeak Alien II, don't need anything more :wink:
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    Topeak Hexus.

Nice balance of stuff you'll actually use to get you back on the move. Or back to a workshop where you can use proper tools and equipment.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    i have a decathlon one, pretty cheap, has everything you need and i've had it for years and none of the allen keys etc on it have rounded, and i've used it A LOT.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    Topeak Mini 18.

Never wanted for anything else..
  • +1 for the Hexus.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    Topeak Hexus.

Nice balance of stuff you'll actually use to get you back on the move. Or back to a workshop where you can use proper tools and equipment.
    i built a complete bike with mine, the headset and bb were already fitted.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    I like the topeak ratchet rocket series. Either the RX for more bits or the "standard" if you need a chain tool.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    rowlers wrote:

Most of the time you need substantially less :lol: Hexus is a better judged mix of tools for most bikes, and nicer to use to boot. Alien's good if you use racks or the like.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Noclue
    Noclue Posts: 503
    Halfords bike hut do a good one for about £12, got most trail tools that your likely to need. IMO all you really need is allen keys up to 6mm, torx key for disc rotors slotted and phillips screw drivers and a chain tool, job done.
  • RedJohn
    RedJohn Posts: 272
    rowlers wrote:

Good but heavy.
  • reevie25
    reevie25 Posts: 254
    I have a Lezyne CRV 19, Expensive but it's never let me down on the trails!
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    Northwind wrote:
    rowlers wrote:

Most of the time you need substantially less :lol: Hexus is a better judged mix of tools for most bikes, and nicer to use to boot. Alien's good if you use racks or the like.

Know what your saying, but it was cheap and is good!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    They're both ace really. Lezyne are getting there, sooner or later they'll make the best multi tool I reckon but though theirs are brilliantly made the basic layout of the Hexus is near perfect, while their design isn't quite as good.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • dan1502
    I think I'll go for the Hexus for now as the cost of all the kit I need is mounting up rapidly.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
  • I have a lezyne stainless 19 tool ...so very well made and cheapish from triton cycles, also have on of these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=35666 that I got from crc flood damage, for about £3 weighs nothing
  • This seller will do the Hexus at £9 if you use the make an offer button....so £11.50 delivered

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Topeak-Hexus-16-F ... 563937a42b
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Topeak Hexus.

i built a complete bike with mine, the headset and bb were already fitted.
    +1
  • dan1502
    Slamdunkin wrote:
    This seller will do the Hexus at £9 if you use the make an offer button....so £11.50 delivered

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Topeak-Hexus-16-F ... 563937a42b

Yes, I spotted that. I made a cheeky offer of £7 which was refused but will probably go for that one. I quite like the idea of the ratchet one but I gues it's probably best to have one that will go in your pocket so you can easily take it with you even if just nipping to somewhere local.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    dan1502 wrote:
    I quite like the idea of the ratchet one but I gues it's probably best to have one that will go in your pocket so you can easily take it with you even if just nipping to somewhere local.

The ratchet does fit in your pocket, it's no bigger than other multi-tools (well, except the really tiny ones).
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    GHill wrote:
    I like the topeak ratchet rocket series. Either the RX for more bits or the "standard" if you need a chain tool.

was looking at that on crc's site , looks an exellent piece of kit , pricy tho.
    does come with clamp to fit to bike which is nice touch :D
  • I have a Topeak Alien II and it's quality - the fact you can split it in half really helps when using the allen keys
    Specialized Roubaix Pro Expert 2020
    Boardman HT Pro Ltd Ed MTB
    Boardman Pro Carbon Road Bike (Turbo Trainer)
    Charge Mixer
  • dan1502
    I've ended up going for the Alien III. It might be a bit on the bulky side compared to the Hex but I hate it when I want to do a job and don't have the right tool (fnarr fnarr) so decided to get the one with more.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy