Paralyzed Diaphragm

Gav999
Gav999 Posts: 7
Hi,
I have a paralyzed diaphragm on the left hand side which was caused by damage to the phrenic nerve during surgery.

I was previously commuting about 24 miles a day and doing some mountaining biking. I have been off the bike now for 5 months so I understand it will take a while to get any sort of fitness back.

I'm due to get back on the bike in the next couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone else has the same condition and could shed some light on the impact to their fitness due to the reduced lung capacity.

Cheers,
Gav.

Comments

• gcwebbyuk
    gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
    Am really sorry to hear this mate - it was one of the risks I was warned about during my surgery, but I was lucky :oops: .

I hope you find a solution to this problem and get back to fitness.

Take Care

Webby
  • Cheers Webby.

Further surgery(diaphragm plication) can alleviate the condition but its major surgery and I don't want to go down that route if I can avoid it. I'll post back sometime later what the impact has been to my fitness.
  • Gav999
    Gav999 Posts: 7
    Hi,
    Here is an update of the effects of a paralyzed diaphragm (left side) after a few months of being back on the bike.

There is no real restriction on the mileage you can do but the restriction comes down to the amount of exertion required. Steep hills I just cant do now. :D Head winds are a also a ballocks. Basically anyhting that had me puffing before has me busting a lung now to the point of feeling ill. I now tend to pick the same flat route. I need to try some of the steep hills around where I live but with regular stops to get my breath back and see how it goes.

On the upside I can still get out on the road bike. Now, where is my mountain bike. :D

Cheers,
    Gav.