Bike satnav

steven7319
steven7319 Posts: 37
edited January 2010 in Road beginners
Hi thinking of getting a satnav for rides out.can anyone recomend any.also how easy are they to plan rides on a laptop and then put them in satnav?
Thanks steve.
oh my god not another hill !!!

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I think you're after one of the funky Garmin machines.
  • Yes.any idea what they are like?
  • They're great.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    What's your budget?

The Garmin Edge 705 is simply amazing. You can pick one up witH HRM & cadence for around £270 on www.handtec.co.uk
  • Probably around that price.can you plan routes on google earth and then import them? Or does it come with it's own mapping software?
  • bobtbuilder
    steven7319 wrote:
    Probably around that price.can you plan routes on google earth and then import them? Or does it come with it's own mapping software?

It comes with a very basic map, which is essentially A and some B roads. You can buy fully detailed maps either on SD memory cards or DVDs from Garmin. To be able to plan the route on a laptop, you will need the DVD version.

You can also plan routes on Google Earth, or various sites such as MapMyRide, or BikeRouteToaster and import them to the unit, but without the additional Garmin maps any imported routes will appear on the basic map. ie. if you plan on riding on small lanes you will appear to be riding off road! Also, in urban areas, the base map still only contains major roads, so you won't see residential streets without purchasing the detailed maps.

Apparently you can "obtain" the detailed maps in download form from certain sites, but I'm not sure of the legality of this.
  • I'm having one of those de ja vu moments :twisted:
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • That sounds great.just what I'm after.
    Thanks for the post.
  • bobtbuilder
    Steven, if you go for the DVD map, you will need to buy a blank 2GB or 4GB SD memory card to store your routes on.
  • Ok thanks will do.
  • See this site to convince you to get one :)

http://frank.kinlan.co.uk/?page_id=1212
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    www.bikehike.co.uk for all your route planning needs.